Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would say you limit yourself much more by taking mediocre skills like the Elixiergun. Thumper turret is dead weight in PvP situations. You get high might stacks with HGH and kit swapping with a Superior Rune of Battle. Not much sense in taking lots of blast finishers if you waste them all for getting might stacks (in contrast to the buffs Elixirs give you).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Well, I don't play sPvP or use the Elixir Gun. I don't use Thumper Turret in a PvP situation either.

Forgot for a moment that we're talking PvE here. Nevermind my rambling.

So it turns out that grenades are a lot more fun to use with fast-cast enabled! I now intend to switch to a not-quite-glass cannon grenade build (30/5/0/20/15, with a backpack regenerator in the alchemy tree to reduce my chances of dying instantly). I`ve also discovered that any engineer who doesn`t swap weapons and kits like mad is probably doing it wrong, given the amount of utility a spare elixir gun can have. Seriously, even if you ignore the rest of its skills, the super elixir (5) is worth it for the lifesaving healing it can provide.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    So, what do the cool engineering kids do these days? I levelled one up early on but then barely played her at level 80 and took a 6 month break from the game so I haven't kept up with class changes. Now I've got a new engi and am enjoying it enough to consider her a second "main". I'm aiming to mainly do dungeons and other harder stuff on my mesmer and use my engineer for solo PvE and general arseing about, but I don't really know much about engineers and certainly don't have much clue about what's "optimal", so I figured seeking the opinions of the RPS hive intelligence might be a wise first step.

First off, general build stuff. As mentioned I'm aiming for this to mostly be a soloing character, so doing amazing damage takes a back seat to utility and having fun and I don't need a lot of group support, but I still like to be effective. At the moment I'm toying around with the grenade and bomb kits and using pistol/shield as my mainstay weapons (current build and loadout here). This seems to be working pretty well - making explosions happen and setting things on fire is fun (and in the game), perma-swiftness is handy for roaming around zones and the damage seems respectable. It also seems rather sturdy even in full rampager gear, though a lot of the defence comes from blind upkeep and things can go downhill awfully fast when I actually do take serious damage (also flippin' dredge).

I am wondering about some of the traits, most notably if I should drop the 10% explosion damage for reduced recharge on bombs and 'nades since most of my damage comes from conditions and it would let me keep even more blinds up. I'm also considering dropping the points in alchemy and putting them into tools for more damage traits and endurance regen. The pistol recharge trait feels pretty weak as well since I only have one in the main hand and rarely use the skills on cooldown. If someone can set me straight on what's best there I'd be very thankful.

I'm also unsure about gearing, the rampager stuff seems fine for damage but it does leave me rather vulnerable in some situations. Ideally I'd like to just craft a second set of more tanky gear to swap in when needed, but I don't know what to go for. Soldier, rabid, celestial or some magical combination? Then there's runes and sigils which I'm having a hard time deciding on. Currently using coral orbs (because they are cheap and easy) with precision and battle sigils and though I'm sure there are better options out there I can't tell what's best. When it comes to runes for a more defensive set of gear I'm really clueless so any input there would be appreciated.

Is condition duration worth considering? I've currently got the 30% from traits and adding another 20% to get extra ticks on bleed/poison/burning looks attractive, but seeing as most things die pretty fast while soloing and conditions are wonky in group events it's hard to judge how much use it would be. If it is worth it, what would be a good source to go for?

And last I'd quite like to try out WvW a bit more as it's a part of the game I've barely touched. What do engineers usually get up to in WvW? Any builds or other things that work well there that I should know of?

At this rate I am going to be declared the official RPS necromancer, but whatever:

For Skalpadda, I would recommend something along the lines of this, if you really want grenades (and considering the upcoming fastcast improvements it might not be a bad idea): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAq...qXER12bFRrGA-e

This is the grenade build that I have in mind, and it really does build for grenades. The bombs are redundant since you already have the nades that do basically the same thing, and the elixir`s toolbelt and #5 give a lot more survivability. I actually ran this for a while (still leveling, mind) and while your finger getting tired is a problem, the overall firepower can hopefully make up for it. The dual pistols are there to proc the crit sigils (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!) and look awesome, while the zerkers make sure you can actually crit in the first place, and the soldiers stuff helps with survivability.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    condition is good if you use your elixir gun a lot like I tend to do (and grenades). If you want to solo I would recommend investing in the turret traits also as they save my bacon more than once when I solo stuff.
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My engi just hit 80. still trying to work out gear for him - advice seems to be either full zerk (Malawi); mix of zerk and soldier (epicthefail); rampager (the alternative to zerk in a link from malawi) or conditions (tweeti) so I'm a tad confused. Would be nice to get away from full zerk as that is what I run on warrior, guard, mes already, but need to work out when/where i'm going to run Engi to make a choice. Bought some soldiers karma armour (soldiers) and some zerky weapons (P/S) and a few accessories, but still need to make a few more tweaks.
    What about WvW, what gear works there?
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    For WvW you could go power-build bunker-ish (Soldier's) or full conditions (Rabid) or a hybrid of these with Carrion thrown into the mix. At any rate you'll want some toughness if you plan to run with the zerg. Roaming is different, and far more options are viable there.

For PvE you won't want to go full condition -- you'll sacrifice far too much in terms of direct damage. The grenade thread on GW2guru (which I assume is the one Malawi linked to) says, IIRC, that Rampager's doesn't sacrifice much in DPS over Berserker's, so that could be a nice alternative that makes use of the Engineer's huge potential to stack conditions.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

You could run Assassin's with the build I posted if you know how to stack might (which you should), but I don't see the point of switching gear prefixes for variety's sake. It's just some numbers after all, and you take whichever are best for a given situation.

Also I wouldn't use Elixir Gun for anything but the blast finisher and condition removal. Its damage is abysmal and grenades are better in every way for conditions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, was mulling over rampagers - might pick up a few pieces of that too while I make a decision. Wish that the affordable options (karma, WvW tokens) didnt end up soulbound and unsalvageable meaning that my indecision is costly
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Worth noting that Runes of Perplexity are currently crazily OP for use with a WvW set, so might be worth looking at; however, I think it's been indicated that some kind of nerf is inc.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Cheers for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    For Skalpadda, I would recommend something along the lines of this, if you really want grenades (and considering the upcoming fastcast improvements it might not be a bad idea): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAq...qXER12bFRrGA-e
    What's the thinking with elixir gun and healing kit in your build? Elixir gun seems pretty weak if you're in power/crit gear and I don't think I could give up the awesomeness of the healing turret - two water fields, AoE heals, regen, condition cleanse and a damaging blast finisher on a very modest cooldown is mental. I also don't think double Sigil of Earth works since they have an internal cooldown and afaik that's shared between all proc sigils you have equipped.

I've played my engineer an awful lot since my last post, read up and tested some things and made a couple of tweaks to the build and gear. Here's the loadout I'm currently using. I switch back and forth between Shrapnel and Forceful Explosions depending on whether I need the bomb radius or not, but if the leaked buffs to bomb range go through they'll be big enough that I won't need the trait which is great!

Still mostly Rampager gear but I got myself a Giver's shield and slotted in some Lyssa runes to get my bonus condi duration up to 50% which adds a few ticks to damaging conditions and makes debuffs stick around for longer. Full Lyssa runes aren't ideal for damage but when soloing the extra boons come in quite handy and the precision is useful for burst and getting weakness and bleeds up quickly.

For solo PvE this is the strongest build I've played in this game so far. Permanent swiftness and vigour are great for roaming, grenades and pistol make you strong at range and anything that gets close will walk into fire and smoke fields and get pelted with point-blank grenade spam. When soloing champs and veterans I can usually get 20+ stacks of weakness, 20-ish stacks of bleed and permanent burning and poison up while keeping blinds and slows (chill, glue bomb) going indefinitely. If things go badly I can turtle up with shield skills and the enormous potential healing from permanent regeneration and water field combos as well as bandages from the supply crate. If things really go south rocket boots are an instant escape (combo with regenerating mist for AoE healing sweetness).

The only significant weakness is not having any stun breaks (can of course switch one in when needed) and that damage takes a big hit in group content due to clashing conditions. Damage is still respectable though (plenty of power and precision) and wading in with the melee while spamming grenades and bombs is excellent support and fantastic for tagging groups of mobs - you can really shine in events like the Grenth temple defense. Wading into armies of mobs and exploding them is also a lot of fun.

The stun break only comes from a rifle, as for grenades they are good but my RSI doesn't really like them so I use them strategically only, specially in Lt Kohler's dungeon or in underwater fights. The Elixir gun has an awesome water field which not only heals but cures condition that you can aim anywhere and is really wide.
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

It's a light field.

Right, yeah. For stun breaks use Thumper Turret or Elixir Gun toolbelts, since you can easily swap then in from Rocket Boots and both are more useful for might stacking (you can cancel the Elixir Gun 4 jump by dropping the bundle). That's about it.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 14-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.

What Tweet said, the elixir has amazing utility.

I don`t actually plan on using that build at lvl 80, just gave it as an example of an explosive build. I personally lean more towards the flamer and using its insane crits to proc sigils and traits left right and center. Plus, it`s really, really fun.

Hipsterthrower.

For groups sure, the elixir gun is pretty good as it's got AoE cleansing and a fair bit of healing over a full party but in solo play it just deals mediocre damage and does a bunch of things other skills do better. Super elixir is neat on paper but in reality if I want more healing I'd rather combo blasts with water fields and in that situation I don't want a light field getting in the way. The stun break is nice, but even there I usually opt for the thumper turret as it brings three blast finishers and some extra fire-and-forget damage.

Toss Elixir B: This skill now grants stability to allies, in addition to a random boon. Increased the base recharge to 30 seconds.

Now that the new ground-target option is here, and with the flamer miss bug still not fixed, I am leaning back towards grenade spam. With that in mind, I plan to run with the build I posted a few posts above, except with sigils of Force and either Earth or Fire, because whoever came up with the sigil cooldown mechanics is apparently allergic to fun. Grenades are a lot more enjoyable to use once you hit lvl 60 and can unlock the grandmaster trait that gives an extra `nade and Stupendous Range (TM).