War of the Human Tanks demo released today

http://www.desura.com/games/war-of-the-human-tanks

Contrary to what it looks like, it's primarily a visual novel with a strategy portion (similar to the Utawarerumono game or Science Girls [...except Science Girls is an RPG so not exactly like that], or something like that). It's pretty cool, though. It's got a decent amount of humor, some solemn moments, kinda like an anime turned directly into a game.

The strategy portion is pretty cool, starting with a fog of war over most of the map that can be uncovered at any point using a recon unit. You can also fire into the fog of war and kill enemies you'd never seen. Also, to my knowledge everyone dies in one hit, so the matches seem to go pretty fast. You win by killing the enemy commander, so as soon as your recon units spot their commander, the match is pretty much over.

Due to the recon, it seems a bit easy, but I've only played up to the first battle, so it may get harder when it's not telling you what portion of the map the commander's in.

EDIT: For example, this one looks harder.

EDIT2: One of the guys from the publishing company confirmed on Desura that it gets harder. Good to know. :D
    Last edited by johnki; 04-09-2012 at 06:32 PM.

I'll probably go fiddle around with the demo later. Been mildly curious about the game, as I've got a bit of a soft spot for hex grids.

I really like the look of those maps although the perspective in that one is a bit odd in places.

Too 'way out there' for me. Indie games try too hard to be different. Result is not always positive.

Got up to the second battle. They have a system in place that you get an amount of "resources" after a battle, and then in the next one, you have to assemble your unit using those resources. It appears that it gives you a base set of units, as well. I haven't made it to the third battle to see if it lets me keep the units that lived through the last one though.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dknight View Post
    Too 'way out there' for me. Indie games try too hard to be different. Result is not always positive.
    Well, it's actually a doujin game originally, meaning it's a Japanese indie, which is where some of the oddness might be coming from. But in my experience, the oddness is usually welcome in cases like this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    This is one I'm keeping an eye on; got the demo downloaded and waiting for me to get home tonight and give it a whirl. I'm not keen on the whole "moe" aspect, but it looks like it could be good fun.