Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar

Money Money Money

So I hit level 40 at the weekend and found that the 2nd tier training manual is priced at 1g.

At the time, I had about 30-40s and while I try to save money, I do have to buy replacement gear as I level and general travelling tends to eat into my finances.

Now I'm at level 42 and I have about 70s to my name, so it's not a huge problem and I'll get my first gold soon. However it did make me wonder if there was something I was doing wrong, or maybe the lack of a trading post for most of my levelling had an effect.

I'm just curious how others have found their income working out for them, particularly what they can afford at the key levels like 10, 40, 60 and how much they had at 80.

Please share (your stories, not wallets)!

Obscure Node
    For me, the lack of Trading Post had the effect that I actually had that 1g on level 40, because I was unable to buy more crafting supplies on the market ;-)

As for your questions, I found that the gear enemies drop is usually good enough, so I never buy anything on the TP / at the merchants.

I haven't run into any big troubles with money yet, although I have spent a good deal of money on gems (2400 gems in total, bought at low points of the "stock" curve). Most of that money came from area completions plus the corresponding renown heart quests which amount to quite a bit in higher level areas. I think so far I have sold two items on the Trading Post, a bunch of copper ore pieces (~125 I think it was) and a rare plant-like Greatsword, so I didn't get too much money out of that until now (I assume this will change rather soon when the TP is working reliably and I can sell the rest of my unneeded stuff there).

I also spend very little on armor or weapons and go with what drops and the odd deal at a karma merchant give me. Constant drains of copper and silver are repair costs (not too much, although it adds up), salvage kits (I salvage a lot of gear, stuff below 20-30 copper in value), and of course travel costs. I do however constantly use the shortcut through the Mists when I go to Lion's Arch and also try to find good compromises between costs and mileage when traveling larger distances. For example, I sometimes travel to the waypoint that is nearest to the area I want to get to instead of choosing the first waypoint in that are itself.

Another example would be the route LA -> Divinity's Reach -> Ebonhawke, which is a nice hub for exploring the Charr areas.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I made good money selling jute and T1 fines on the TP and I figure if you stockpile certain mats right now you'd make a profit later. You could also consider buying cheap dye for <1s per piece and hoping to transform into a more valuable dye.

I heard mystic coins and locked lion chests sell well too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    You buy replacement gear as you travel? I very occasionally spend karma on gear from the hearts, and that's it. When I bought the manual I had a little over 2g, and that's without ever selling anything on the AH. I sometimes sell blue gear to a merchant instead of salvaging it.

I am sitting at just over 2G, level 37. - Never used the Trading Post at all (like I could have, yeah...). - Never bought anything from a vendor for gold, only karma equipment updates. - Recycle everything that has cloth / leather materials, otherwise, sell it to a merchant. - Never use the waypoints (this one sucks balls). Repair equipment sparingly. So that's all the money I've earned on my character, except for the first skill book and a few silvers on repairs. I HATE waypoint travel costs, it actually impacts in a negative way my gameplay. I'd not care much for gold, but I really want to buy 3 additional character slots so I can play 1 of each profession, and there's no way in hell I'm forking about as much as full game price for the required gems.

On a related topic, can anyone explain what the deal with the Gold-->Gems exchange rate is? I read on the RPS review that this rate is not fixed but actually dynamic.
    Does this means that when people earn more money, gems are more expensive (which basically means that gems will only get more expensive the longer the game exists), of is the price actually fluctuating?

Like Zanchito, i would at least unlock the 3 additional character slots (and maybe 1 extra bank tab so i can save some decent gear for them), and at the moment i can buy 2 slots if i swap all my gold for gems now. On the other hand i could use that gold to get the training manual when i hit 40 and 60. I figure that when i reach those levels i will make more money than i do now. Choices choices.
    Last edited by magiuspaulus; 06-09-2012 at 01:23 PM.

I've been salvaging almost everything for the first 10-15 levels before I realized it's not the way to go. Now I mostly vendor everything but some white/blue light/medium armor pieces that yield decent cloth/leather for selling (if only the TP was working...).

As for gear, I've been making weapons for myself and jewelry, but the rest of the items are from drops and rarely from karma (if there's a skin I like or a huge upgrade). All of the crafted items have been at the TP for vendor price +1c so to the vendor they went unless someone wanted them in /g.

Cut down travel costs by going through the Mists -> LA -> Asura gates as opposed to just double clicking that waypoint. The portal to Ebonhawke from DR is very handy for traveling to that eastern side for example. After going through the gates I take the waypoint to get me where I want to go though, so don't really be on the cheap side and not use them at all. After all, if you are walking you are wasting your time, which should be worth more than some virtual currency.

This strategy has netted me a comfy amount of money, I am 46ish now with around 3g after buying the second trait book.
    Last edited by noaru; 06-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Network Hub
    I've been crafting all of my own gear so far and have pretty much only spent coins on salvage kits, gathering tools and a few teleports. I have also stopped salvaging metal and wood items (those resources can be gathered easily in large quantities) and sell them to npc merchants instead. Finally I have found that salvaging high level magical gear gives no better returns than base gear so I've been selling the ones I don't use off too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Interesting, thanks.

To clarify: I'm not buying up-to-ate gear at every armor/weaponsmith I meet but, either it's my profession (ele) or just lousy luck, because some of the items I'm wearing are 10-15 levels old because I get very few drops that are relevant. So I buy the odd item costing 1-3s if it replaces something horribly out of date.

I'll use karma vendors if they're there but I have a full karma set I'd rather transmute than buy another (and have in fact been doing this spare transmutation stones since level 15 or so). Vain of me yes, but the stones were already free. The karma will come in useful later.

I think salvaging too much might be where I went wrong, as I did that exclusively up until the early 30s. I should TP/vendor a bunch of materials I'm not using from my bank.
    Last edited by Screwie; 06-09-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Obscure Node
    Right now I'm sitting at 77s (level 53). However, when I turned 40 I had enough for the trait book and a respec of traits. Since then I spent about 2 gold on the lv 35 cultural armour for the Charr, because all leather was looking the same up till that level and I was bored of it. I regret that decision, because as soon as I bought it, the TP worked for me and I replaced the whole lot with (imo) better looking and better stated gear for a couple of silver. Since then I've spent a fair bit on repairs. Most of the money Ive gotten so far comes from WvW. You net tons of cash by doing events in a decent zerg, and the amount of loot you get from WvW is quite good, it can easily be resold/salvaged/mystic forged depending on your needs.

That said though, I've spent perhaps the last 20 levels pretty much solely in WvW, so I'm not sure if the rate I get money is fast or slow or somewhere in between. However, I am sitting on around 18k karma atm, having used 9800 on a cultural weapon at 40, and about 5k on random other stuff since I started the game. So in my experience, WvW is where the riches are.

Screwie: I was salvaging too much too until level 28 or so, then someone here recommended not to, and the money has been coming in a bit faster, although it's still not that great (for gem purposes anyway, for in-game stuff it's okay).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    I made good money selling jute and T1 fines on the TP and I figure if you stockpile certain mats right now you'd make a profit later. You could also consider buying cheap dye for <1s per piece and hoping to transform into a more valuable dye.

I heard mystic coins and locked lion chests sell well too.
    It is what I am doing, just stocking up on all the fine crafting materials, as soon as stocks diminish price should shoot up, since they are pretty annoying to farm given the drop rates on most of them.

Oh, I could sell my locked chests, I really really don't care for the +random PVE buffs and turn yourself into a Moa for 5 minutes crap they drop. Ty!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    My 38 warrior has around 6g and my 34 mesmer has 3g. Around 2g of those come from selling chests, dyes and spare crafting materials on the TP. I think levelling two characters in parallel has made it much easier to keep spending down as I've had plenty of materials to skill up my crafting (armoursmith, weaponsmith, jeweller, cooking) in pace with my levelling and I haven't had to spend money on materials for the first three (beyond cheap lumps of tin), though cooking has been my biggest gold/karma sink so far. Armour and weaponsmithing especially seem to give a good surplus of money even when you vendor most things you make.

Activated Node
    I'm still very low level for my main (24) but only have about 30 silver. Having said that, I think I should have more but have a lot less, for three main reasons:

- I suck at PVP and keep getting decimated and most of my cash goes on armour repairs.

- I'm a lazy sumbitch and teleport everywhere to save time.

- As some of you will be aware because I exploded over the guild chat the other night, I accidentally blew 25s on a cow race. Really.

So yeah, that's me!

I don't normally grind either but I've found one lucrative spot in the humie lands. I camp out in the area of the centaur invasion in Queensland and I make about 5-10 silver per assault. I just sell all the blues, greens and rubbish I get. It's made me quite of cash recently.

Quote Originally Posted by harvb View Post
    - As some of you will be aware because I exploded over the guild chat the other night, I accidentally blew 25s on a cow race. Really. So yeah, that's me!
    That made laugh to myself. I didn't even know such a thing existed in the game. Thanks for posting.

Activated Node
    It's in the lands north of the Charr start area, I think. The one with the cattlepult (spelling intentional!). If you know where I mean There's a bunch of cows and you have to impersonate a cow and then- no look I'm being serious, stop!!

Obscure Node
    Don't tell me, I spent 1g on guessing where a cow would land when being shot from the catapult. The first 50s was a mistake. The second one was because I wanted my 50s back. There will never be a third time

Got about 6g in total right now. I salvage whites and exotics (if they have a good rune). Vendor trash the rest!

Don't bother buying new gear unless it's from karma merchants or other players and therefore actually rare.

Enemies will drop stuff all the time that matches your level. Sometimes even the very first thing you kill after leveling up will drop a new weapon for your level.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!