Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    It is desireable indeed for those of us who have normal schedules.

I think they need like 7 maps not 4... Or 10 maps... or a scaling number of maps to suit the population of the servers...

Cheating death for fun and profit!

I started ignoring my damaged gear buildup after earning a repair-everything-free item, but that was a couple days ago and I still haven't used it. Replacing old gear is often better than repairing it! If you replace gear at a reasonable rate and aren't suicidal, that's easy money. Repairing broken gear is also the same cost as repairing damaged gear, though at that point you're losing the stats&effects while it's broken, and salvage/sell/destroy broken stuff in your inventory before repairing so you don't pay extra. It's also best to have friendlies around when you die to avoid teleport costs.

TLDR: repairing your gear early is unnecessary and costly.
    Last edited by Bobtree; 01-10-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by downgrade View Post
    "place orders on the TP instead of buying directly"
    Actually, the best way is to buy and sell directly to other people, so you don't take the 15% cut on your side or theirs, allowing you to buy at a lower cost, and get more profit when selling.

You have to drop 5% of the item's asking price when putting it up, and the TP takes a 10% cut.

Salvaging anything that doesn't have a major magical ability best as I can tell is a waste. You'll end up with "trophies" like ripped pelts and bits of metal scrap that are worth less than the item if you had just vendered it. And salvage kits cost money.
    Virtual Pilot 3D NEVER NOT SCAM!

Activated Node
    Have to say I agree with this actually. I've made 1.5 gold on my alt who's level 31 just from selling blues and not salvaging them. And that's with constantly repairing my armour. Having said that I only rely on drops for gear upgrades, so despite being a tough little Ellie with the maxed flame power of a Royal Marine on Red Bull who's just eaten five curries, he's got the equipment of a newt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Salvaging anything that doesn't have a major magical ability best as I can tell is a waste. You'll end up with "trophies" like ripped pelts and bits of metal scrap that are worth less than the item if you had just vendered it. And salvage kits cost money.
    What game are you talking about? You never get ripped pelts and bits of metal scrap from salvaging items. The items you named are drops you salvage to get crafting materials. Salvaging whites almost always gives you crafting materials that are worth more than the vendor value of the item. At low levels this is even true for blues.

Anyway, salvage whites, vendor blues and greens, sell lower-level yellows on the trading post, and salvage level 68+ yellows for ectoplasm. That's all there is to it, and that hasn't changed.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    Actually, the best way is to buy and sell directly to other people, so you don't take the 15% cut on your side or theirs, allowing you to buy at a lower cost, and get more profit when selling.

You have to drop 5% of the item's asking price when putting it up, and the TP takes a 10% cut.
    Now, this is technically correct, but there's no trade chat channel and spamming the /map channel will get you blocked pretty quick and possibly even reported (rightly or wrongly). There's also the perception that anyone using chat to sell an item is a scammer. Thanks D3!

The absence of a trade channel would suggest AN don't want you doing this. But that's just my opinion. By all means, continue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    There's also the perception that anyone using chat to sell an item is a scammer. Thanks D3!
    Thanks D3! And every MMO that's ever had a trade channel!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Thanks D3! And every MMO that's ever had a trade channel!
    Yeah, I guess I'm just holding on to some lingering disappointment with D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    You never get ripped pelts and bits of metal scrap from salvaging items. The items you named are drops you salvage to get crafting materials. Salvaging whites almost always gives you crafting materials that are worth more than the vendor value of the item.
    Not in the few times I used a low-level salvage kit on white items. It's absolutely not worth it to waste a salvage kit on anything unless it's going to give you something rare and desirable because you have to use an expensive one to get it.

I salvage everything, because I know that I may be using the materials at some point for a legendary, and I need every edge I can get in using less time in getting it.

Also, I've gotten orrichulum from salvage, which is well worth the money.

On another note. Not sure if everyone here knows this, but if you're farming in Orr it's best to do it in a group because the rare finding system operates the same in D3 and TL2, that is you have a higher chance of finding rares in a party with more people than you do on your own.

Get partying folks!
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Not in the few times I used a low-level salvage kit on white items. It's absolutely not worth it to waste a salvage kit on anything unless it's going to give you something rare and desirable because you have to use an expensive one to get it.
    A crude salvage kit costs 32c, or 1.28c per use for which you'll get usually 2 or three resources which can generally be TPed for more than the white item would get.Also there's the monthly achievement, if such things matter to you, which is for 500 salvage kit uses.

I sell anything blue or up. Not seeing that many high level drops yet personally so that'll change when I need to start saving the high end crafting resources.

Oh, I also keep a small selection of the lower level gathering gear depending on the area I'm walking through because I'm incredibly cheap and copper ore sells like gangbusters.
    Last edited by frightlever; 05-10-2012 at 03:57 PM.

...And once again I curse AreaNet for not including some damn instructions with their game.

Just out of curiosity I used a salvage kit on a metal scrap and like magic, it turned into a usable crafting item. Which then pointed and laughed at me as hit my head against my desk.

...And once again I curse AreaNet for not including some damn instructions with their game.

Just out of curiosity I used a salvage kit on a metal scrap and like magic, it turned into a usable crafting item. Which then pointed and laughed at me as hit my head against my desk.
    Y'know their tooltip explains this, yes?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Y'know their tooltip explains this, yes?
    All it says is, "Double-click to salvage crafting materials from an item in your inventory." Using them on "salvage items" never occurred to me until this thread for reasons I can't explain anymore.

This is why the first thing I always did when I got a new game was read the instruction manual cover-to-cover.

The tooltip for the scrap itself.

There's also the fact that, in MMOs, grey means "crap to sell" and white means "crap that is useful somehow." All scrap is white.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Does it always follow that the grey ones is for the crap to sell, or it varies per site? Not so familiar with this tooltip thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by harhis23 View Post
    Does it always follow that the grey ones is for the crap to sell, or it varies per site? Not so familiar with this tooltip thingy.
    Not sure about the grey, but if it's junk it'll be called a "Trophy" and it'll automatically be sold when you talk to a vender and click "Sell Junk".

Trophies you get during heart quests can also be given to the heart quest guy to raise the progress bar.