Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: The Secret world on Steam

I apologize for the off-topic, but I haven't been able to find any RPS community thread on the game; The Secret World is reasonably cheap on Steam for the next 8 hours. Have any of you tried it? I'm a bit burned out on GW2 at the moment, and the pricing for the expansion isn't helping.

Thank you for any input you might have!

Hey zanchito,

a long time ago, in a forum thread far, far away, there actually was an RPS TSW guild I think. Looks like some people are still playing it off and on. I gave it a try back in the beta and liked what I saw. Although I can't remember a whole lot of it, the overall opinion was "flawed but worth a look". Especially the combat system seems to be boring, on the other hand you get some excellent storytelling and investigation missions.

I would be up for it, if just to take a second look and have something to play with you lovely people. Are you looking at the standard edition? With 8,99€ you don't take any big risks I think, would be nice to know if upgrading to one of the DLC packages is possible afterwards.

Anyone else?
    Forum janitor in training.

I'm more concerned about the time requirement than the money. Even the full super-duper edition with all 11 add-ons included is just 34€. Which is still 10€ less than...

I'll try to dig up some reports about time investment requirements. Good point actually, wouldn't want to have to grind for progression.

Edit: Alright, there seems to be some grind involved, but apparenly not a whole lot before endgame content. Since the game has been out for a while now, people have found a lot of farming spots, a quick google search would probably net a good amount of hits if one ever got stuck.

Edit#2: There's also a TSW subreddit with a lot of people asking for beginner's advice at the moment.
    Last edited by Squiz; 18-06-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks for the investigation, Squiz! I've read that new content gives XP faster, so no grind during story progression, so to speak. I might try out the game, given that next week I shoould have a more stable schedule. Please do add me on Steam if you want to co-op or anything, the handle is Zanchito.

Cool, will do. I also posted in the old TSW thread and will keep an eye on that. Are you picking up the core game or the 35€ edition?

I'm seriously thinking the full game, still investigating, but it's 90% likely I'll get the complete edition. I'd not even think about it if it wasn't an MMO. I don't really like MMOs (GW1 wasn't an MMO proper, and GW2 at least has somewhat involved combat and nice exploration)

Edit: It seems there are different servers on this. Arcadia or Cerberus seem to be the popular ones.
    Last edited by zanchito; 18-06-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Yeah, the question is whether we'd want to play on a more populated server (more PUGs I guess) or on a more quiet one (less immersion breaking nutjobs). Leviathan and Arcadia seem to be the RP servers. I'm not really into MMO RP but I don't mind it terribly much either. If you make the jump today just pick something that looks good to you (maybe check the RPS thread linked above if you fancy), apparently the choice doesn't matter for PvE, only for PvP (like GW2 I suppose).

Regarding the MMO aspects: I would expect the game to be not too crowded anymore, therefore it's possible that the gaming experience comes a bit closer to what a single-player or co-op game feels like.

Also added you on Steam!
    Last edited by Squiz; 18-06-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks! I'm not particularly into RP, but my line of thinking is that people who are into it have less of a chance of being random griefers. Given the game seems to have low popuplation, I'd rather try to get into a half-empty server than a mostly empty one.

I'll get the game today, but have a meeting late into the afternoon, so I don't think I'll be able to play. Tomorrow I've got Jiu-jitsu, so I'll have to wait until saturday. :/

Alright, will pick it up as well then. Sooooo... Cerberus, Arcadia (RP) or Leviathan (RP)? I won't be around during the weekend, so that's enough time for you to fool around I guess.

Bought and downloading now! Do you already know which Faction you're going to join? Illuminati and Dragons look cool.

I'll have a look at the costumes, which seem to be the main difference. Heard the dragons are a bit meh, but people on the Internet have terrible taste.

Regarding Faction choice, here are some opinions on that. Since the account comes with three character slots there is sufficient room for experiments. Just read that TSW has also made the jump to megaservers, so I guess there is little harm in going with whatever we feel like. Might even go with a more populated one (Arcadia?) in case of a sudden desire to PvP.

Edit: I just realised that my forum profile "location" info could become relevant again (I got the name from playing The Longest Journey).

Edit²: More helpful info:

- TSW Database - for builds, mods, and other useful stuff
    - Six tips for new TSW players - stuff that's good to know I guess
    Last edited by Squiz; 19-06-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Sorry for butting in, but I've cross posted on the other thread, too - I've been dabbling in it for a while, along with GW/2 and FF14, but it's awful lonely. Definitely for trying this so-called 'group' stuff.

Of course, señor peligroso! Add us on Steam, same handles as the forum names. We still don't have an stablished play time or anything, barely just created the characters during the weekend.

Zanchito, you've been added. Squiz is, however, infinite, so I failed. My ID is in my sig!

Hey guys, just managed to create a character that I didn't feel the immediate urge to delete again. So please meet Charles "Charrkovsky" Wilkowsky (any resemblance to existing MMO characters, living or dead, is purely coincidental):

As you can see, I've just reached Agartha. Zanchito, give me a shout if you want to go ahead to Kingsmouth. Peligroso, looking at your linked profile I see that you've already progressed a bit beyond that point. Therefore I suggest we meet up with you as soon as we reach whereever it is you're currently at.

Excellent! What faction do you belong to? I've got chars in all of them. I'm just a wee bit ahead of you, right after travelling to Kingsmouth, at the very first npc you find. Can't play today as it is a bit late, what about tomorrow?

I've put this one into Illuminati after reading your PM. Tomorrow will probably be difficult for me as I'll be going out, but it depends on when I'll return. If you like you can go ahead a wee bit and take a look around town, I'll need a bit of time to get used to everything anyway. Other than that, just check on Steam or in-game, I've added you to my friendslist with you Illu character.

That's quite allright,I'm in no hurry! Señor, will add you tomorrow. Cheers!