Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I run a staff;sceptre/dagger condition build, 0/30/10/30/0 runes of the undead, full rabid everywhere (temple karma and some runs of hotw), sigs of earth on staff and scepter
    Been playing around with traits recently, working out if I want to focus on fear, vampirism or just maxing bleed damage.
    guess it depends if you want wvw where fear rules, or more general play
    builds at link below seem to cover a lot of bases, though the author is a bit arrogant:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...s-Mighty-Metas
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Warhorn's an interesting choice. I don't find it especially useful, particularly when running the speed signet. The vuln/chill on focus or -- even more so -- the condition transfer and weekness on dagger -- seem much better options.
    The `horn has a stun on 4 and AoE cripple on 5, both useful when you intend to run away from something. Besides, I mostly use it while traversing long distances-the staff is my main weapon. I haven`t actually used the focus that much, but looking at the skills, the Reaper`s touch does look nice as a general damage boost and regen, especially when paired with the axe (to take advantage of the 600 bounce range). Thanks for bringing it up!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Jonathan Sharp has been talking (arguing) about necromancer balance a lot on the forums overnight:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/devtracker
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Hmmmm, so *if* I was to create an alt it was to be necro I think i'd bias them to being an assistive role not a soloist... Blood magics with aoe/long range and not go the minion route.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

In that case I would recommend traiting in Curses and Spite, since that`s where the supportive Wells and Signets get most of their power (apart from a short foray into blood to pick up Well cooldown, unless you plan on doing AoE heals with Dagger`s #2 skil). The Dagger + Focus combo is IMO best for support with a bit of damage, or perhaps a Scepter.

For a supporter, a build with Well of Corruption and/or Power, Signets of Undeath/Plague (be VERY careful with that one, some classes can easily kill you by AoE-ing conditions faster than you can transfer, including, unsurprisingly, a Necro with a staff, or a traited `nade Engy) would be good.

I haven`t really made that much of an effort to build a support Necro (the minions and Staff AoE I usually use are too much fun), but a build with Undeath Signets is a godsend for dungeon runs.

So I've been considering some of the implications of the new patch, specifically the DS overflow. Necros are basically screwed in a some boss fights since we no longer have a way to tank through some of the ridiculous damage spikes once we run out of dodge. Kinda seems like Anet have balanced for pvp without considering the effects on pve.

(Is it just me, or does Jon Sharp still seem to have no idea what necros want?)
    Last edited by Salix; 24-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.

It's not just you, there seems to be a pretty big gap between what the Necro crowd wants (for PvP at least: more sustain, healing in DS, less buggy game mechanics overall) and what the devs give them in the patches (more damage output, i.e. Dhuumfire and stuff, which isn't needed), resulting in an uproar both on side of Necros and the rest of the playerbase.

This is the build us necros in Praxium use for WvW

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...9;9;9;9;4V8k3B

The build does excellent dps and has great survivability

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    That's a nice build, fairly similar to what I run in WvW. For gear in WvW I usually go Rabid with Undead runes for condition pressure, but your way is of course tankier.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Monksbane is alive and necroing... Jeez low level health is pitiful
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    Monksbane is alive and necroing... Jeez low level health is pitiful
    Yup.

I tried a few things levelling and found the power build to be the most amusing and I still use it at level 80 now.
    It basically focuses on doing silly damage and being able to bounce in and out of death shroud a lot for survivability.

So at 80 you aim for 30-0-10-0-30 with an axe and focus and a dagger warhorn offhand and full berzerker.

But even if you don't care for that idea, well of suffering should be the first skill you go for.
    It just murders things

Nodnod, its the dodging i will have to get used to and the different sorts of armour (to go for) given I'm not "easily" going for just zerker gear...

Raise thread! (how appropriate)

I`ve been experimenting with necro builds again and seem to have settled down on one that I like:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQIQNAW...T9iIq2erIa1A-e

Of course, it is far from complete, but the spec is in place and I am working towards lvl 80 equivalents of the ascended weapons, with the ascends a stretch goal. The basic idea is to throw down wells on swarms of enemies and/or really big stuff and simultaneously tear into them with the Axe/Focus, switching to Staff when AoE and range are a priority. I am having a lot of fun with the Axe and the Wells can decimate standard enemies and veterans alike. I can switch to a supportier (that`s totally a real word ) build by just switching to signet recharge and swapping in Signet of Undeath and Well of Power when in an instance.
    Overall the (thread) Necro is still my favourite class even though the whoosh-whoosh of the staff makes me reach for a bottle of painkillers instinctively. Not really as flashy as making someone lag to death by swamping their screen with minion name tags, but still fun and able to annoy if used correctly.

Hmmm... power build is coming across more and more from chat's and my googlefu searches. Might have to start putting more time into 'bane.

edit: Like your trait selection btw - nice and tight with what you're running. No doubt someone in the wider world with pawhca it and denounce you a heathen and tell you there is a lost dps of 4 if you swap a,b and c and change weapon set but hey ho. I run staff plus axe n focus too and will likely copy your trait selection too. Ta
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 12-09-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Pretty close to the build I use on Exi (30/0/10/30/0) and it's definitely fun and somewhat versatile for both solo and group play. I'd recommend mixing some berserker gear in with the soldiers though since the necros base survivability is already pretty high.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I run my necro for full damage, so full berzerkers everything and 30-0-10-0-30 for death-shroud shenanigans.

You get the extra survivability from a longer DS uptime, put down might and vulnerability for auto-attacking inside it with piercing shots and do stupidly nice damage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I guess with necros you either go full power (more towards beserkers in dungeons, soldiers in WvW) with axe and lots of wells; or full conditions (rabid, with a nod towards dire in WvW perhaps) with scepter/staff and epidemic, BiP and/or corrupt boon. Never tried the hybrid setup. I go conditions for a bit of a difference from my alts, but only run my necro in WvW nowadays anyhow. Hoping they'll fix conditions somehow, given up using my necro at world event bosses.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    interesting my necro is a combo build, power and conditions and I was just looking at what armour to give him

traits are 30 - 20 - 0 - 20 - 0

I forget the exact build, but it is something like this:
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fQIQ...T9iIq2erIa1A-e
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

I think hawks linked my build by accident...

Also, a word of warning for wannabe zerg: the damage done by minions is apparently unaffected by power or weapon damage (at least, according to GW2Skills) and is only increased by the trait that gives +30% minion damage. On the plus side, with the recent buff to staff AoE a necro with Greater Marks can hit a ludicrous area with aoe damage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    gah, I always do that. Update someone's build and then forget to get the URL instead of copying it from the bar

This one is definately mine.
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQ...UdDTBLR6YC1A-e
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera