Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    So... major sets of runes or gems for levels 40-60 armour? I hit 40 in a level or so...

I was looking at scholar, pack, ogre or mesmer...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

IIRC Mad King runes are good for maximum dakka and bleed (necros have a lot of bleeds), but I would advise against really spending money on anything until level 80. My Necro did perfectly well without any of that min/max nonsense.

I'm heading towards zerker don't worry with a minor tweak to your blood magic trait of siphon when criting rather than mark when dodging.
    PVT armour however can make a necro ridiculously hard...
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Death shroud already makes a necro pretty hard, I like the DS build for dps and survival :3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Indeed, zerker necro in PvE pairs both damage and survivability. For WvW either soldier's or rabid/carrion can work.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    or Dire, but not if you're going for direct damage - condition builds are very popular in WvW at the moment if you can get a lot different conditions then they are hard to remove; since most people run high toughness builds it's handy to be able to bypass them.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Yeah, I dunno how much of it transfers over but in sPvP condition necro is what I like to play. You can do a lot with those conditions and people tend to fail to notice how fast they're dying to them. Muchos fun there especially with the terror fear damage.

That build is however severely limited in PVE by comparison though :<

I think lots of that carries over to WvW too. I like to run wells, so I prefer a hybrid power/condition build to an all-out bunker-condition Dire spec.

So in terms of higher longevity armour - is there much point given our recent spate of just be good in your zerker gear... Or will WvW always have a place for PVT armour with ____ rune set?

oh and it's ever so slightly more fun than the warrior because (for me) there are more combo's to play. I can easily be a good support role - well of blood n power v decay and boon2condition one or be more personally vicious. Quite enjoy it.
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 15-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Yeah, "just be good in your zerker set" doesn't really apply to WvW, especially not for zerg fights.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Yeah, "just be good in your zerker set" doesn't really apply to WvW, especially not for zerg fights.
    figured, dungeons I can appreciate (getting slowly better) that zerker kit wins. so soldier rune set then I guess for wvw or something more exciting - pirate perhaps ;P

Hmmm, I don't shout so pondering (6) of soldier not the best. What about wurm... seems quite suitable in a way but unsure or perhaps ogre - but i get that critical dmg bonuses still need a high probability of criting so if you don;t have that the bonus is wasted to a degree
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 15-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Runes of the Undead are good (toughness, condition damage, convert 5% of toughness to condition damage) but are more naturally paired with a condition armor set.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Runes of the Undead are good (toughness, condition damage, convert 5% of toughness to condition damage) but are more naturally paired with a condition armor set.
    indeed, and if so more likely/better to do a full trait reset too for conditions rather than straight damage so not necessarily back to square one but more thought on it needed. I had feared my rts brain would micro strategise this stuff... ah well. At least I haven't started on looking at gw2spidy... much.

Network Hub
    I figure most people should have a spare set of armour with Pirate or Flock runes, just for the fun of the occasional appearance by parrots and various attack birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    I figure most people should have a spare set of armour with Pirate or Flock runes, just for the fun of the occasional appearance by parrots and various attack birds.
    Once I've got my pvt armour for proper reasons I may do just this I also want the full arah armour kit - frankly it looks awesomely cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    That is pretty much the reason I am going to use Mad King runes on my necro. Come on, you get to be freaking Fiddlesticks, only even more annoying!

So... conditions builds are the new thing - it would seem for slapping down some hurt on the wurms.

http://www.gw2db.com/skill-builds/80...taff-condition

Will put that into the other game engine site that we normally use but on the face of it looks interesting. Thoughts Epic/Ex/Soup?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    it rely's a bit too much on bleeds here - bear in mind that there are a lot of classes that can land bleeds on people.
    might be worth considering runes of torment
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Yeah, I was thinking more mixed too and as you say to not bother too much with bleed - but don't forget those champs et all lose stacks annoyingly quickly too. Been playing and came up with this - there are some interesting points but overall its specifically anti wurm - ie there will be others to help carry me to a degree but also I can help group wise. It's also tanky to survive but totally not focussed on power as its redundant for this role (as said)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQJAr...TxSEV7RKiWNA-e

That guide is... interesting (the first one above - only 5 runes specified, no direct comment on which stat line is being used), but I would advise checking the Necro section of both guru and the GW2 forums for further input. Rabid gear seems to be a good starting point (crit procs), however I'm not sure if you've got the resources to buy a full set if you don't already have one. Runes of Tormenting aren't too useful in PvE, especially since the wurms and husks don't move around a whole lot. Maybe go the cheap way and use Runes of the Undead or - if you're swimming in TA tokens - Nightmare.

Staff/Scepter+Dagger seems the way to go, not so sure about the traits though. 30/30/0/0/10 seems to be a popular choice. Can anyone comment on how good Dhuumfire is in PvE?

If the stars align, I might pop in for the event over the weekend, but I cannot promise anything. I do have a condi Necro sitting around though. Who would have thought that she would be of any use besides farming Orichalcum these days?

Edit: Does Close to Death even affect condition damage?
    Editē: How useful is retaliation in PvE?
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-01-2014 at 12:24 PM.