Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Bad Company 2, Bioshock 2, Episode 2

With regard to the steam sale, are these worth getting bearing in mind that I mostly do singleplayer stuff.

Thanks

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Bad Company 2 has an okay campaign, but it probably won't satisfy you. It really is a multiplayer game and a damn good one at that.

If you like Half Life 2, there's no reason not to like Ep 2. It progresses the story, has some cool moments and is pretty open. I would personally say it's more of the same, but hey it's Half Life.

Activated Node
    Is the Bad Company 2 multiplayer still popular/supported?

And is the kit/Vietnam dlc worth the purchase?

Oh very much so. RPS has a server and it's usually full. Even so, there's still many, many servers out there and it's very popular. The only drawback is that likely man people will shift over once Battlefield 3 comes out later on in the year. That being said, for the price it's at now, you can still get a hell of a lot of fun from it before that happens (and even so, there'll likely still be players).

Activated Node
    Hmm ok, thanks for the advice, may get Ep2 and BC2 then. Not so sure about Bioshock though, I didn't really get along with the original; combat felt a bit floaty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I never finished Bioshock 2. It's great in concept (and rather successfully did the difficult thing of being a worthy successor to Bioshock without doing exactly the same thing), but the pacing is slightly tedious at times. There's a little too much combat that isn't fun; it's just slog. Still, it's definitely worth it that price.

Episode 2 I didn't like as much as Episode 1, but it's pretty good, and again, definitely worth it at that price.

I haven't played Bad Company 2. I'm not an army men manshoot fan in general, really, but I've heard almost nothing but good things about it.

Sounds good. I might also recommend to hold off getting the DLC for BC2. The stock game should be enough and if you're more of a fan of SP, the MP as is will easily suit you fine. In regards to the campaign, don't worry if you haven't played 1. The characters are the same, but it's a completely new story (for better or for worse).

Quote Originally Posted by piggydiggy View Post
    Hmm ok, thanks for the advice, may get Ep2 and BC2 then. Not so sure about Bioshock though, I didn't really get along with the original; combat felt a bit floaty.
    Combat in Bioshock 2 is significantly improved over its predecessor by the brilliant - and obvious in hindsight - innovation of having both gun and plasmid equipped at the same time, one in each hand.

Not incidentally, near everything else about Bioshock 2 is an improvement over its predecessor also. I suspect that once a few more years have passed and folks start to approach (for the first time or otherwise) both titles merely as products of the past, Bioshock 2 will at last receive its due.
    Last edited by Rii; 02-07-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Worth getting? I don't know. That depends on your taste, mainly. It's also relative. Are there better games to live off for a lower price? Yes. Have you played them all and want something more? I don't know. Maybe?

In hindsight I would not have purchased the Vietnam DLC for Battlefield Bad Company 2. I'm not sure if it's discounted due to the sales, but it definitely wasn't worth 10.

Vietnam was alright as something different, but once I got all the achievements for it on the 360, I never touched it again. When I got BC2 on the PC, I didn't bother picking up Vietnam. The main game is absolutely fine for content. It's still well played and on sale, it's worth it, but I'd say only if you're a die-hard BC2 player and quite frankly, if you're buying games on Steam, you can definitely be spending Vietnam time playing other games.

Wizardry, you are a fount of decisiveness.

I enjoyed each of those three games' single-player campaigns.

Bioshock 2 is a huge improvement over Bioshock. I was put off by the first since it lifts every beat of the first half of its plot from System Shock 2. Bioshock 2 realizes the world better, has better level design and vastly streamlined mechanics, and has a more resonant story.

Episode 2 contains some truly stellar level design. Everything else is more of the same, but since the same is already pretty groovy, that's a compliment.

I enjoyed BC2's single-player. It's nothing world-breaking, and it has neither the tightness of a CoD nor the emotional resonance of Medal of Honor, but it has my favorite James Bond-superweapon/batsh*t crazy plot of all the batsh*t crazy plots modern military shooters are apparently supposed to have, and it's somewhat more open than most linear corridor shooters. The setpieces are solid, it does a great job of mixing environments, and even though it's still madly linear, you often get a few different ways to go about something because of the completely destructible environs.

Obscure Node
    Recently replayed the the entire HL2 series and Ep2 is my favorite. That last battle really gets your blood pumping!

I'm also on the fence on buying Bioshock 2. Seems like a great game and apparently it's really short, too. Less than 10 hours. The length is a plus for me. Always wanted to play it, but not spend 20 hours doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Sounds good. I might also recommend to hold off getting the DLC for BC2. The stock game should be enough and if you're more of a fan of SP, the MP as is will easily suit you fine. In regards to the campaign, don't worry if you haven't played 1. The characters are the same, but it's a completely new story (for better or for worse).
    This, somewhat.

Th DLC ('expansion' is a bett word) is worthwile; I love it and am spending almost as much time playing the expansion as I do playing the regular game. Try and wait 'till you can get it for cheap elswhere. It's just a code that people e-mail you that allows you to unlock the extra content (for the record, this wasn't on-the-disk-dlc, it was patched in later); I got it for barely anything through an EA sale.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    If you're a singleplayer person, don't bother with BC2 Vietnam - it's multiplayer only. As for vBC2, it's got an ok singleplayer. The story is awful, but simultaneously so over-the-top that you might like it. It's not very long though, perhaps 6-8 hours. Multiplayer is where BC2 shines.
    Episode 2 is great, I preferred it to Episode 1. Don't play it if you haven't played HL2/Episode 1, obviously, but if you have then go for it.

The Vietnam add on is only about 3 quid at the moment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I actually liked Episode 2 more than Episode 1, myself. It's more HL2, and very well done, so if you enjoyed HL2 and Ep 1 there's certainly no reason not to get it.

I bounced off Bioshock 2, despite enjoying the first one. The plot seems less engaging to me, though the combat mechanics appear to be better. The atmosphere is essentially identical, and I think I've just grown tired of Rapture. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    The Vietnam add on is only about 3 quid at the moment.
    I still wouldn't say it was worth it for someone SP focused. In fact, I would find it hard to recommend to someone who WAS MP focused. I'd rather save that 3 quid for either another game or just to save. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it needs to be bought.

Banned
    Bioshock 2 was one of those games I was supposed to like but didn't.
    If you are truly focused on single player I'd get EP2.
    BC2 is great multiplayer.

In totally unrelated news, I bought plants and zombies on sale, and am having so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I still wouldn't say it was worth it for someone SP focused. In fact, I would find it hard to recommend to someone who WAS MP focused. I'd rather save that 3 quid for either another game or just to save. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it needs to be bought.
    My brain completely filtered out the single-player bit. Yeah, for someone who only plays single-player, it's completely worthless.