Milan and On: A Medieval II Total War AAR

Last edited by Oak; 05-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    This'll be fun to read as you bring Giorgio Rossi's dreams to fruition. Do you plan on taking over the papacy through various means?

Good luck and have fun!
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Thanks. Weaseling my way into the papacy might be off the table, since I have no priests and my only cardinal died. With luck, one my assassins will get skilled enough (I've been boosting their stats by offing princesses and minor diplomats - I disgust myself) to kill the current pope and wipe the slate clean.

Last edited by Oak; 05-01-2014 at 08:26 PM.

continued

Last edited by Oak; 05-01-2014 at 08:26 PM.

You should be far enough to the west to not be seriously threatened by Eastern barbarians, unless you capture Constantinople. I really dig the ominous screenie, extra style points for you!

Victory conditions demand it, so it shall be done. The Mongols add a lot of spice to the story, anyway, which is why I kept the announcement in. Thanks for reading, by the way. While the concept may be a little self-indulgent and dorky, writing it is such a hoot.

Though editing it is hell.

Just popping in to say I'm anxious to read the next installment.

Though editing it is hell.
    I originally wrote mine in Word, and yeah, editing/formatting it was a pain in the ass. Once I gave up on that and just typed it into the forum it went much smoother. Maybe one day I'll finish it in Word and save it as a PDF or something for posterity.

Oh boy, have I been slacking. Medieval 2, along with just about everything else taking up my free time, was sidelined a few weeks ago when I reinstalled TF2 and binged like a degenerate. That, along with the fact that I've been planning to build my very first Sweet Gaming Rig (the parts are supposed to arrive today) have kept this on the backburner, but it's still happening. Thank you for checking in.

Also laziness. I'm terribly lazy.

Building a new rig is always fun, and you'll be able to turn everything up to 11! I built one in the middle of my AAR; it's quite noticeable in the quality of the screenies.

Aaaaaaaah, been a while since I played MTW2 but as I recall holding those northern Italian provinces is a real pain in the ass. At least you don't have to face those fricking annoying Genoese crossbow militias. Impossibly to beat them without taking crippeling losses which mean they need to return to base to recharge. When playing as Venice the first time I eventually just ditced Venice and the rest of my Italian holdings to focus on my middl eastern empire I'd build on the back of the first crusade.

But yeah, please continue this AAR, and more maps please!

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Building a new rig is always fun, and you'll be able to turn everything up to 11! I built one in the middle of my AAR; it's quite noticeable in the quality of the screenies.
    I oversold myself on how difficult a process it would be, so it was less fun than scary and frustrating. But all worth it, of course.

RE: maps, it's a little difficult to get screenshots of the whole shebang since you can't zoom out too far and there isn't a dynamic mini-map thingy like in later games. I'll stop making excuses and work some more in, though.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, guys. Medieval 2 has been installed, and once my honeymoon with Battlefield 3 is over it'll make its way back into the schedule.

Honeymoon over yet?

Excuses, Excuses

Yes...but only because so many other games have been vying for my attention. A heartrending tale of woe, you'll agree.

What I think happened is my brain recategorized writing as Work, when once it was Fun, and now I'm semiconsciously trying to avoid it, even though I like it and want to finish it. Interesting stuff has happened in-game. I am still going to finish it. I just want to make clear the mental hoops I am (paradoxically) willing to jump through if it means I can avoid making an actual effort towards anything, even a silly story about a video game I'm playing. You're my psychologist now, by the way.