Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Something coming from Obsidian and J.E. Sawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    It's revealed! It's called Eternity! It's an Isometric, Party-Based, Epic RPG! It's a new world, created by Obsidian! It has a tactical real-time with pause system for combat! It's being Kickstarted right now!!
    --------------------

Teaser image from obsidian.net:

Webpage source:
    !--. X . X X . X X -->
    <!-- To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness. -->

Of course it could be Dungeon Siege 4, but that's too obvious. I guess we'll know tomorrow if that 4 is there to stay or if it counts down to a Friday reveal.

They have a new forum up for it: Project X Speculation & Discussion - This is a forum for Obsidian's next RPG endeavor. So secret not even its project codename is yet being revealed. Speculate here...

Project X is the codename of a SquEnix game developed by an external studio, a codename they also used for Dungeon Siege 3. Not sure this means anything.

The logo in that pic is an ouroboros, last seen in the Elder Scrolls Online. Also part of The Wheel of Time's logo. An Obsidian WoT RPG was revealed in February 2010 and I think that's the last time we heard of it.

Today on Twitter, J.E. Sawyer is like wink wink, nudge nudge (can't post the image because ERROR).

A month ago someone asked him on Formspring when is he going to kickstart The Black Hound. Check out the answer. The Black Hound is actually Baldur's Gate III, announced in 2002 and missing in action since then. A project very dear to Sawyer, who worked on a NWN2 module based on it for a while. Beamdog already said their BG3, if made, won't be based on The Black Hound.

The game can also be Icewind Dale 3. The D&D digital rights have reverted to WotC, so no more Atari monopoly on that front.

J.E. Sawyer was working on Defiance, an RPG set in a dark fantasy world after the bad guys (think Sauron) won. This was an older concept shopped around to various publishers. From what I hear - I don't have a link - this was in development for 7 months for the next Xbox before Microsoft pulled the plug in March. I suppose this is not what's teased because they laid off the Defiance team.

It can, of course, be a LOTR game - the "fellowship" and generic fantasy names and style sure remind me of LOTR. But Warner Interactive has no idea how to handle the franchise: they released some shit games, don't have anything worthwile for The Hobbit's launch and may or may not have cancelled a LOTR game after sinking 10 million dollars and more than 20 months in it.
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 14-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Hopefully it isn't Dungeon Siege 4.
    Generic fantasy name...ahahah - it actually reminded me of the lore wankery that was Amalur: Kingdom of Boring.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Verrrrry interesting. Surely it's a bit early for Dungeon Siege 4. The number probably is a countdown.

The proper nouns bear no resemblance to anything WoT or LOTR, so forget those. Sounds like an original (generic fantasy-ish) IP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Don't Obsidian already have their plates full? Wasteland 2 and that South Park RPG? And apparently a Wheel of Time game?

Don't get me wrong, I love Obsidian, but they are barely qualified to do one game at a time. Should they really be doing 3, let alone potentially 4? Even the assembly-line style dev teams tend to draw the line at two or three with HUGE staffs (hee hee, penis).

And Project X probably means nothing. That is a very generic codename.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Don't Obsidian already have their plates full? Wasteland 2 and that South Park RPG? And apparently a Wheel of Time game?
    The only person from Obsidian who's working on Wasteland 2 is Chris Avellone. The rest of the game is done by inXile.

As for this project, it's obviously going to be Fallout 4. Bethesda decided to hand the Fallout franchise over to Obsidian and focus solely on their Elder Scrolls games.

A man can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    The only person from Obsidian who's working on Wasteland 2 is Chris Avellone. The rest of the game is done by inXile.

As for this project, it's obviously going to be Fallout 4. Bethesda decided to hand the Fallout franchise over to Obsidian and focus solely on their Elder Scrolls games.

A man can dream.
    Well, that's not as bad. But still, three projects with one of their creative directory people (whatever job title that god among men has :p) dedicated to a different project still seems like a lot.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

A man can dream.
    Very well said.

Obscure Node
    It's clearly wishful thinking, but I'm getting the "spiritual sequal of Planescape: Torment"-vibe.

To the speculate-o-tron:
    The Ouroboros is (according to wikipedia) "[...]something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end[...]", i.e. a mechanic similar to that used in Torment. A dirge is a lament or song of mourning, and the quote on the countdown is referring to it as being without form; something I find fit for a character in the game that only exist as a voice (which would be very Obsidianesque imo). Also, as said on the Obsidian forums, the number 4 is pronounced similar to "death" in japanese... which says nothing...

Lost my train of thought.

Or it's just Wheel of Time.

The text seems to be deliberately misleading because it really doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm sure the folks over at Obsidian have a good laugh right now.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Looks like fantasy, so I'm not that interested, but it's also Obsidian, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    WE AT OBSIDIAN ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE FAMILY GUY RPG WITH WRITING BY SETH MCFARLANE (Coming to Xbox Live and the Ipad App Store in 2013).

Tolkien Protocol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Of course it could be Dungeon Siege 4
    Good, I enjoyed DS3.

I never played any game of the DS franchise.
    How 'bout the story in last one, was it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I never played any game of the DS franchise.
    How 'bout the story in last one, was it any good?
    It was adequate and fitting for a gameplay in my opinion. As in Fallout New Vegas, the setting is just a small part of the world, the villian isn't really a clearcut bad guy and you can easily end the game peacefully( not before defeating an easy boss though). There are some small branchings on the linear story but nothing big. As usual with Obsidian, the story is good enough to turn it into a decent novel, but they make a slightly above average game instead. Game is worth buying on some Steam Sale, I think.

TAGS: what's in the booooooooox
    Dammit I laughed irl.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 11-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Good, I enjoyed DS3.
    So you were the one

I think they already said that "4" is a countdown.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I heard Cthulhu somewhere based off some hints in the code.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I heard Cthulhu somewhere based off some hints in the code.
    I think that's just someone's wishful thinking. The writing in the page source neither reads like Lovecraft, nor mentions madness, old gods, unspeakable horrors, etc.

To me the names read more like Gaelic/Celtic folklore.

And, welcome back Wizardry.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Cthuhlu would make sense. Obsidian are buddy-buddy with Bethesda these days and I think they have the rights to make Cthuhlu games (do you even need rights for Cthuhlu?).