Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    It says that women have different needs in terms of armor.

And if you cinch the waist, you emphasize the bosom.
    Only if you cinch it, yes. But if you just make something that fits properly, no you don't? Having plenty of experience with my own clothes. No, you don't. I mean, not to mention the difference that a sports bra makes in the first place. There's simply no need to have a pronounced bust in armour for any reason other than 'this is a girl' reasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    There is no need for a pronounced ANYTHING in armor.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    There is no need for a pronounced ANYTHING in armor.
    Except the codpiece. Strike your foes with penis envy!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Only if you cinch it, yes. But if you just make something that fits properly, no you don't? Having plenty of experience with my own clothes. No, you don't. I mean, not to mention the difference that a sports bra makes in the first place. There's simply no need to have a pronounced bust in armour for any reason other than 'this is a girl' reasons.
    I know that girl!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Breasts are mostly fat tissue. a soldier's life is very demanding and having big fat on one chest is not compatible.

a big fat barbarian mother of 5 is a different cup of tea but young slim looking woman would not have big breasts unless she is a princess and got forced recently to become a soldier. even then a bit of squish on breast would not be an issue.

nothing sexist here.
    True. Note that female athletes have small or very small breasts. Physical training burns the fat away.
    pass

Wait, what is this thread about?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Wait, what is this thread about?
    Stage 1 - everyone trying to figure out and justify why the game would be a Wheel of Time game.
    Stage 2 - everyone getting happy about it being a new IP from Obsidian
    Stage 3 - wizardry complaining that it's not wizardry and therefor is a false rpg and doesnt get why anyone would like it
    Stage 4 - concept art shown, people debate about it because it's not stupid levels of chainmail bikini sexists, but making the woman in the image have a larger chest piece than others is worth debating about apparently
    Stage 5 - god only knows what's next!

Additionally, even among the ranks of RPG superfans, there exists a subset of players who can't get enough challenge. They want all of the difficulty features set to "I am pro." Collectively, we've worked on a bunch of these challenge modes in the past and enjoyed the results. Project Eternity seems like a very appropriate place to highlight suites of these difficulty options as distinct gameplay modes that players can opt-into at the beginning of any game. We've come up with three modes we'd like to support, which also includes the ability to turn many of their sub-features on and off on an individual level in an ordinary game: Expert Mode, Trial of Iron, and Path of the Damned.

Expert Mode
    will disable all of the common ease-of-use / in-case-you-missed it gameplay elements like the display of skill thresholds, influence/reputation modifiers, and similar "helper" information. In a fashion similar to Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore Mode, Expert Mode will also enable more punitive and demanding gameplay elements, in and out of combat. We're not saying we're going to have weighty gold (for real, we're not saying that), but if we did, you can bet that would be automatically turned on by Expert Mode.

If you guessed that Trial of Iron is like Temple of Elemental Evil's Ironman Mode, you guessed right. When you start a Trial of Iron game, you have one save game that persists for the entire campaign... or until you die. And if you die, your save game is deleted. Enjoy!

Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode. In our encounters, we like to turn individual combatants on and off based on the level of difficulty. If you come into an area on Easy, maybe casters are replaced with weak melee enemies. If you come in on Hard, maybe the casters are augmented by a tough melee enemy or two. With Path of the Damned, that goes out the window. All enemies from all levels of difficulty are enabled and the combat mechanics are amplified to make battles much more brutal for everyone involved.

The first question you may have is, "Can I enable multiple challenge modes at once?" Yep, you sure can.
    Sounds interesting, although "Trial of the Iron" doesn't sound right for this kind of game. Not when the game - or at least, the story - is quite linear and you have to start anew when you screw up. Permadeath is not something you can wave away by making it an option. The game needs to be designed for it, for instance giving ways to scout ahead or escape tools.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not necessarily. If plate can be magically hardened, then you can do the same for guns. Magically harden the barrel so you can cram more powder in and get more punch per shot. Enchant a bullet to punch through things. Just because guns are more overtly technological doesn't mean you can't apply magic to them just as easily. This doesn't seem to be arcanum 2, after all :)
    That absolutely makes sense. What magic can do magic can undo, etc. I don't really know that much about guns, so two issues with it:

Wouldn't the larger gun be unwieldier just by nature of its size? I suppose it could magically be more accurate, but it seems like then you're using twice as much magic as you are on the armor.

I thought guns were peasant weapons. Enchanting guns would probably require a lot of money, which would put them out of the reach of peasants. If it did, it would largely restrict their availability to knights, who already had their own combat traditions and balked (I believe) at the use of ranged weapons.

It takes away the advantage they have of being easy for unskilled people to use since most of the people who could afford them would already be skilled. The traditions might change over time (especially as successful mercenaries use them to their advantage), but this is a transitional time period. But I think the bigger issue is that guns have fewer advantages and are tied into the same capital arms race that magical arms and armor have.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Breasts are mostly fat tissue. a soldier's life is very demanding and having big fat on one chest is not compatible.

a big fat barbarian mother of 5 is a different cup of tea but young slim looking woman would not have big breasts unless she is a princess and got forced recently to become a soldier. even then a bit of squish on breast would not be an issue.

nothing sexist here.
    As a "big fat barbarian" mother of five I find this offensive. Why are barbarian women fat? Why not the cow wives of the senators in Rome. Also, try having less than five children with infant mortality rates this high. I don't see you curing colic any time soon. And a mother of five is just assumed to be fat? You try chasing kids around the cow pens all day until one of you dies. It burns off pretty quickly. This is another example of Patriarchal roman-centric thinking and I won't stand for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    As a "big fat barbarian" mother of five I find this offensive. Why are barbarian women fat? Why not the cow wives of the senators in Rome. Also, try having less than five children with infant mortality rates this high. I don't see you curing colic any time soon. And a mother of five is just assumed to be fat? You try chasing kids around the cow pens all day until one of you dies. It burns off pretty quickly. This is another example of Patriarchal roman-centric thinking and I won't stand for it.
    Well played.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Well played.
    Extra points for nickname.

There is a subreddit where I and others post everything we find online about the game, if anyone is interested. Generally not that much new information in interviews and articles since Obsidian are still working most things out it seems, but still. There is the occasional nugget of interest.

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/

Iron Man mode (or rather, playing as if there is one) was oddly popular with Baldur's Gate 2 so it makes sense to have as an official game mode, I guess.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Iron Man modes, while not something I enjoy, I can understand other peoples sick twisted enjoyment of putting themselves through it

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Iron Man mode (or rather, playing as if there is one) was oddly popular with Baldur's Gate 2 so it makes sense to have as an official game mode, I guess.
    But it's terrible for playing the first time. It can be fun if you know the game inside-out. Games like POWDER are designed with permadeath yet they are newbie-friendly at the same time. For instance, in POWDER you can examine a monster to get an estimate how dangerous it is compared to you. Baldur's Gate can be very unfair if you go into the wrong place and there's often no warning. For example you go into a cave and there are two Battle Horrors, and your characters and not ready yet.
    pass

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    But it's terrible for playing the first time. It can be fun if you know the game inside-out. Games like POWDER are designed with permadeath yet they are newbie-friendly at the same time. For instance, in POWDER you can examine a monster to get an estimate how dangerous it is compared to you. Baldur's Gate can be very unfair if you go into the wrong place and there's often no warning. For example you go into a cave and there are two Battle Horrors, and your characters and not ready yet.
    So don't play it in Iron Man mode the first time around?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's a new update up. It sounds like they're adding something like Watcher's Keep. Also they're charging the lower tiers for beta keys. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    There's a new update up. It sounds like they're adding something like Watcher's Keep. Also they're charging the lower tiers for beta keys. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
    Well, it seems like a way for people who chose a sensible backing level to pay a bit more to get some high-tier goodie that they wanted, without having to pay a lot of money and get a load of extraneous bollocks. As blatant cash-grabs go, it's not so bad.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Stretch goals at Kickstarter are not so bad, because they're optional and the game gets extra funding, so everyone benefits. I say it because someone compared stretch goals to DLC.
    pass