Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    PA interviewed Adam Brennecke.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    PA interviewed Adam Brennecke.
    Here's the only interesting thing that's not already on the Kickstarter page:
    Brennecke talked about Project Eternity exploring mature themes, though the studio’s definition of “mature” doesn’t necessarily mean sex and gore. Brennecke’s example was racism.
    No wait, it is:
    Additionally, Project Eternity's world contains some isolated races and ethnicities, but transoceanic exploration and cultural cohabitation have heavily mixed many racial and ethnic groups over time. This mixing is not always... peaceful. At times it has degenerated into genocide and long-standing prejudices are ingrained in many cultures.
    Awful interview.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Awful interview.
    Why?

10characters
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    How does "the first big names in CRPG development" equal "the first big names in the development of modern CRPGs"? You're jumping the gun a bit, surely.
    Find and replace "CRPG development" with "modern CRPG development"

That is why I made it a point to explain that he (and everyone else) means "modern CRPG".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Find and replace "CRPG development" with "modern CRPG development"

That is why I made it a point to explain that he (and everyone else) means "modern CRPG".
    You: "David Cameron is the first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom"
    Me: "No he isn't."
    You: "Obviously I mean David Cameron is the first Prime Minister of the modern United Kingdom."
    Me: "What do you mean by 'modern United Kingdom'"?
    You: "Well it started when David Cameron became Prime Minister in 2010. Everyone knows this."

You: "Obviously I mean David Cameron is the first Prime Minister of the modern United Kingdom."
    You: "Well it started when David Cameron became Prime Minister in 2010. Everyone knows this."

If you can't tell the difference between the "modern CRPG" as made popular by Black Isle/Bioware and the old dungeon crawls, we really don't have enough common ground to have a discussion.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lol. I'm with Wizardry on this one. Plus, now we have to get into an argument on what a "modern" cRPG is. I mean, we have to, right?
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Lol. I'm with Wizardry on this one. Plus, now we have to get into an argument on what a "modern" cRPG is. I mean, we have to, right?
    If I say "a game like Wolfenstein", do you think I am referring to an FPS or a top-down game?

If I say "a game like Metal Gear", do you think I am referring to "I feel asleep" or the Solid series?

Context makes these distinctions for us. In the context of the modern day and a discussion of Obsidian, "CRPG" means "Modern CRPG". Or, if you would prefer (I know I would :p), "CRPG" means "CRPG" and Wizardry means "Old fashioned dungeon crawl/early CRPG game".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you can't tell the difference between the "modern CRPG" as made popular by Black Isle/Bioware and the old dungeon crawls, we really don't have enough common ground to have a discussion.
    The Infinity Engine games were built on the template of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, a game with a heavy focus on story, lots of quests with multiple solutions and plentiful dialogue options. The whole "recruit your party" thing was popular in the Ultima series, with both parts of Ultima VII containing lots of party banter which people seem to love these days. Even the real-time with pause combat was done ages ago with Darklands.

Would Fallout count as "old" or "modern"? It was completely different to Baldur's Gate, with turn-based combat, a single controllable character and a more open world. It was also heavily inspired by Wasteland, with its skill-based quest solutions and sandbox world.

Hopefully now you'll understand why it makes no sense to assume people know what the "modern CRPG" actually means.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 27-09-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Can't a cRPG be a cRPG and a cRPG in the vein of Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate be a cRPG in the vein of Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate? Either way, I backed the shit out of this Kickstarter.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

The Infinity Engine games were built on the template of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, a game with a heavy focus on story, lots of quests with multiple solutions and plentiful dialogue options. The whole "recruit your party" thing was popular in the Ultima series, with both parts of Ultima VII containing lots of party banter which people seem to love these days. Even the real-time with pause combat was done ages ago with Darklands.

Would Fallout count as "old" or "modern"? It was completely different to Baldur's Gate, with turn-based combat, a single controllable character and a more open world. It was also heavily inspired by Wasteland, with its skill-based quest solutions and sandbox world.

Hopefully now you'll understand why it makes no sense to assume people know what the "modern CRPG" actually means.
    And Darklands (at least to me) counts as an early example. Much like Ken's Labryinth is an early FPS.
    I was never huge on Ultima, but they sound like an inspiration.
    Fallout is DEFINITELY in the "modern" style.

Again, it is exactly like I said. People give DOOM or Wolf3d credit for being "the first FPS", they weren't. People give Half-Life credit for being "the first FPS with a strong narrative", it wasn't. But that is what made things popular and what people identify with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Or, if you would prefer (I know I would :p), "CRPG" means "CRPG" and Wizardry means "Old fashioned dungeon crawl/early CRPG game".
    This is starting to annoy me a bit because it has been stated many times so far. A game like The Magic Candle absolutely destroys modern CRPGs when it comes to things to do outside dungeons (in and around towns specifically). The impression people have of old CRPGs puzzles me.

And Darklands (at least to me) counts as an early example. Much like Ken's Labryinth is an early FPS.
    I was never huge on Ultima, but they sound like an inspiration.
    Fallout is DEFINITELY in the "modern" style.
    You've stated which games are in a modern style and which games are not without actually telling me the criteria you use. What is your definition of "modern style" and why does Fallout fit into it?

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    The impression people have of old CRPGs puzzles me.
    It's especially hilarious to me because I'm mostly uninterested in stuff like the Wizardry series. That style of game is a fairly small slice of the richly varied CRPG genre of the 80s/90s. Count the differences between Darklands, Realms of Arkania, Daggerfall, Ultima VI, Ultima VII, Quest for Glory, and so on.

Most modern computer RPGs have thrown out all of that. If nothing else, we've lost so much healthy diversity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So I redid the numbers, and after the initial boost, the average per day has settled to 45k. If it stays that way, and there's no reason to think it won't, they end up with $2.92m at the end of this. If they have a proportionally similar boost to Wasteland, they'll wind up with $3.3m. Wasteland did have a huge spike in the middle when Avellone signed on, but this assuming that this game won't.

I guess the question becomes: How many more stretch goals do you think they'll add? I'm guessing 5 more, staying at 200k between them, but you never know. I'm curious how many more characters they'll put in it, because I don't think they'll keep expanding the roster for much more. I doubt they'll put more than 2 more races in, but we'll see. What does that leave left, extra translations?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    They should stop fucking around and publish the ruleset already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    They should stop fucking around and publish the ruleset already.
    Rulesets need a fair bit of playtesting before they're in any state to be published. I would say they should publish the ruleset when they're in late Alpha.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar

pass

What wizardry is this, realistic armor on females? Truly, these are the end times. After playing lots of Guild Wars 2 where the developer's idea of of most female armor is "a stripper would be ashamed to wear this", this is kind of a shock.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    What wizardry is this, realistic armor on females?
    still there is a bulge on her chestplate. what for?
    the cloth between her legs would also be very troublesome
    using a gun, musket presumably, with metal gauntlets seems highly unrealistic

3/10

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Not to mention her legs are 2/3 of her body. Ridiculous proportions.
    pass