Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well it's a three now.

I want Alpha Protocol: Torment, wherein Michael Thornton discovers he is immortal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah, the hype machine is already working at full power without the game having being announced. Chances are it'll be just like Obsidian's other works: Some sort of shitty real-time game with branching quests. Of course I, and all proper RPG fans, will be hoping for a decent RPG with plenty of skills, complex character building, full party creation and turn-based combat with plenty of complex mechanics to play around with and an open world to explore.

Oh wow, he returns.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I heard Cthulhu somewhere based off some hints in the code.
    I think that's just someone's wishful thinking. The writing in the page source neither reads like Lovecraft, nor mentions madness, old gods, unspeakable horrors, etc.

To me the names read more like Gaelic/Celtic folklore.

And, welcome back Wizardry.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I was really wondering what happened to you, Wizardry. I disagree with you in a lot of ways, yet I don't know that I've ever been able to say you are wrong (if that makes sense).

As to the news: yay! Obsidian is one of my favorite developers, and I always keep a look out for whatever they're working on. Even their crappy or mediocre games typically have something worth noting. For example, Dungeon Siege III was almost the definition of mediocrity, but the control scheme was elegant and I think there's some real potential in the idea of characters who have to switch between different modes to utilize their skills.

<rant> Still, I can't help but imagine this will be Wheel of Time-related, and I couldn't care less about that. Get back to me if Bethesda decides to pull a New Vegas and let them play around in the Elder Scrolls universe to fill the gap until Fallout 4. And then we can skip ahead to me bemoaning that New Vegas was probably a once-in-a-lifetime fluke and that quality level will never be seen again. </rant>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Ah, the hype machine is already working at full power without the game having being announced. Chances are it'll be just like Obsidian's other works: Some sort of shitty real-time game with branching quests. Of course I, and all proper RPG fans, will be hoping for a decent RPG with plenty of skills, complex character building, full party creation and turn-based combat with plenty of complex mechanics to play around with and an open world to explore.
    I can't tell if this is Wizardry or just a really good bot masquerading as Wizardry.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Who says the real Wizardy isn't a bot?

He's half spreadsheet already.
    Last edited by Tikey; 12-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Who says the real Wizardy isn't a bot?
    His response is rather boilerplate, I suspect the bot just grabs the name of the developer and adjusts accordingly.

Ah, the hype machine is already working at full power without the game having being announced. Chances are it'll be just like <Insert Name of Developer Here> other works: Some sort of <Insert Negative Adjective Here> real-time game with branching quests. Of course I, and all proper RPG fans, will be hoping for a decent RPG with plenty of skills, complex character building, full party creation and turn-based combat with plenty of complex mechanics to play around with and an open world to explore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I can't tell if this is Wizardry or just a really good bot masquerading as Wizardry.
    Nalano

Definitely a spam bot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Nalano

Definitely a spam bot.
    Yep, it's Wizardry.

And we were just getting used to having entirely new and interesting circular arguments.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hope is not Dungeon Siege 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Oh wow, he returns.
    As it was prophesied!

The 4 is definitely a countdown, if that wasn't established. It's now a 3... and there's new Text:

"The book unread is unwritten. The reason we don't explain it is the reason we use it. Its power is in its mystery. That is the Leaden Key, in part, in whole. Is it clear?"

"Digging for truth buries the seeker."
    and the hidden message:

"Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way."
    I don't recognise any of the stand out phrases/terms (Godhammer Citadel, the Leaden Key, Glanfath, Esenath), except for Dyrwood, which is a (not very common these days) Scottish family name, a variation of (or the original of) Durward (like this man). Eir Glanfath also sounds somewhat Celtic/Gaelic, and a Godhammer sounds like something Norse. Also, Eir was a Norse Goddess mentioned in the Poetic Edda.

So I don't think it's going to be an established franchise, unless it's Dungeon Siege, which I have no experience with. Or, they're things from TES that haven't been introduced before... Maybe it's 2 centuries after Skyrim, and this will be a TES equivalent of NV? Nothing stands out as Wheel of Time to me. Definitely sounds like it's Fantasy though - Divine Champions and what sounds like a giant crater caused by a God's Hammer). It might even be a Darklands style Fantasy World... based on a real place/history, but that with the folklore and fantasy elements being 'real'.
    Last edited by Unaco; 12-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Activated Node
    This. I really agree with this, though not as strongly. I enjoy games like Fallout: NV but I do find the experience a little hollow and short lived when compared to the "proper" RPG's that Wizardry describes.

The day someone finally does this right again, I will be very happy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Dungeon Siege 4 would be very appreciated. Just played DS3 nad enjoyed the hell out of it, and seeing as how there were quite a few Decisions And Things in DS3 it'd be nice to see if Obsidian were able to carry them through. Especially as, and correct me if I'm wrong here, this is the FIRST time Obsidian would get to make two games in a single series.

Of course I, and all proper RPG fans, will be hoping for a decent RPG with plenty of skills, complex character building, full party creation and turn-based combat with plenty of complex mechanics to play around with and an open world to explore.
    Aww yeah, I missed you buddy!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariune View Post
    This. I really agree with this, though not as strongly. I enjoy games like Fallout: NV but I do find the experience a little hollow and short lived when compared to the "proper" RPG's that Wizardry describes.

The day someone finally does this right again, I will be very happy
    Uhm...

Check out the consoles. I know Final Fantasy 5 (or 4. Whichever one had Butts and the job system) is exactly what Wizardry describes.

Skills, check (even if most of them are combat oriented)
    Complex character building, check (the job system is at least as complex as early D&D)
    Full party creation (essentially, since you pick everyone's class)
    Turn-based combat with complex mechanics. Yup.

Its basically the same reason that Wizardry's video game namesake (which GoG totally has to get already) died in the West but is still going strong in Japan.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I'd kill you all for Alpha Protocol 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Oh wow, he returns.
    A powerful omen, but what does it mean?

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    It might even be a Darklands style Fantasy World... based on a real place/history, but that with the folklore and fantasy elements being 'real'.
    Needs more real history/folklore to be anything like Darklands. Tons of crap games do pseudo-Gaelic or pseudo-Norse or whatever.

"Godhammer Citadel" sounds like capital-F Fantasy, not grounded in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Needs more real history/folklore to be anything like Darklands. Tons of crap games do pseudo-Gaelic or pseudo-Norse or whatever.
    Of course it needs more real history/folklore to be like Darklands. But I wouldn't have expected them to provide that in the... 6 fucking lines of teaser text before the reveal.

And Godhammer Citadel sounds like something built near the crater of the impact from a God's Hammer, from the text. So where does reality come in to Gods smacking shit down?
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post

And Godhammer Citadel sounds like something built near the crater of the impact from a God's Hammer, from the text. So where does reality come in to Gods smacking shit down?
    Reminds me of this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The night market quote got me excited for some sort of nocturnal renaissance fantasy, set in a sprawling city.

I would like for it to be turn based but that's unlikely. I feel that games that mash turn based and realtime together (even the really famous ones like baldur's gate) always feel very chaotic and end up with the worst of both worlds.