Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Not necessarily.

As an example: Borderlands 2, on higher difficulties, REQUIRES you to understand and abuse the right elemental damage for each situation. Imagine if you had a class (fighter) who couldn't do that on a whim. That would make it "impossible" to solo as a fighter.

Theoretically, all this means is that every class has ranged combat abilities (fighter with a bow) and the capacity to tank (mage with stoneskin). And that if you need fire to kill a troll (I love you older D&D-based games!), you'll find firepots or something nearby.

Balance wise, I would personally balance it for around 2-3 characters. That way you still have a challenge at 4, but solo is not just about exploitation and grinding.
    As I understand, Class is less of a hard limit on the characters' abilities/role in this game than customization choices / build. They've said numerous times that mages can wear plate. Melee classes can use guns to pierce magic. Also, it goes up to a party of six, not four.

I really think they'll have the hardest time balancing the end of the game, since that's when characters start reaching their max, so the difference between levels starts to shrink, but they can get around that by making late game content optional and offering high quality expendables.

Activated Node
    Paladins and Chanters are in as stretch goals for 2.7m, and at 2.8m George Ziets is added as a writer. Some of these place and faction names seem a bit silly

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    First screenshot (embiggenable):

That screenshot is gorgeous.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    To clarify, they are using a technique very similar to Infinity engine games:
    1. Develop a 3D scenery
    2. Convert it to 2D
    3. Tweak and improve with raster graphics editors (like Photoshop or GIMP).

I like the screenshot, but I hope it won't look too static in-game.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, it's not quite a screenshot, more like a shot of the image that they will use to make the map. I imagine they'll render a few effects in real time over top of it, but that should mostly be what it looks like. While it does lead to a static map, I have to say that there are very few games that are prettier.

So, they've announced two big stretch goals: Strongholds at 3 million. There was quite the discussion about this earlier, but I'm excited for it. There's a very good chance that these'll make it in; it's not certain but it is possible. Another huge city at 3.5m. I really hope it gets there, but I consider it on the outward bounds of probability now. I love big cities though. Favorite part of games.

I wish they weren't making the lorebook a paid add-on though. Manuals have always been one of my favorite parts of games.
    Last edited by Internet; 11-10-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    is the game 2d?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, they're on the last 4 days and support for it has kicked way up. They have 2.84m now (with tens of thousands more in the paypal) and they've had two huge days. The mega dungeon has gone up to seven levels and will hit 8 soon. They've made about 130k each day for the last two days, undoubtedly driven by the absolutely gorgeous rendered art. They have $60k in the paypal apparently.

Wasteland 2 was making half of that in the fifth and sixth days, even if it did have a much, much better previous week. They're almost certain to hit the $3m goal of strongholds, and now they have a believable shot at making the big $3.5 goal of 2 large cities. To get there they'd need $593k in the next five days. If sales stay the same for the next day they need to get $155k per day in the final 3. Considering what they've made in the last two, and that almost every Kickstarter kicks up in the last three days, that's very possible. However, some of this traffic may have been driven by the art, and might subside tomorrow. I hope not.

Well they're certainly doing their best to publicise the hell out of it doing a bunch of interviews and livestreams, planning an AMA on Reddit on the final day, etc. I really, really hope they manage to get to the 3.5 million goal and there are a bunch of people who haven't gotten around to pledging yet; I myself only pledged yesterday.

On another note, it'd be good if a mod could change the title of this thread to 'Project Eternity' or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is an interesting situation. Normally I don't touch kickstarter games because the risk is far too high for the (probably) small discount that you get. But for this one the risk doesn't seem that high, it's going to be at least decent and I'll probably buy it. What to do, what to do.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Wow,3.5 million dollars for 2d rpg game xD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    is the game 2d?
    No, but it's complicated to explain why. Game will be like Final Fantasy VII or Resident Evil 2. Backgrounds will be prerendered 2D high quality images perfected with handmade photoshopping, but characters and some elements in the screen like trees, bushes and water will be fully animated polygonal 3D, as will enemies and spell effects too.

You take the cuteness from IE games, and add 15 years of technological evolution on 3D engines.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    You take the cuteness from IE games, and add 15 years of technological evolution on 3D engines.
    Seems it is really closer to Temple of Elemental Evil than IE stuff. Which is good, because that game was beautiful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    If the game is going to look like that screenshot posted above,ouch.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wouldn't exactly call the IE games cute. I think they were aesthetically unmatched for quite some time. The quality of the backgrounds was far higher than you would expect from the technology of the day. Baldur's Gate and Thief were both released in 1998, and look at the difference.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Low intelligence runs confirmed in the latest update. They're at most $8k away from the $3m goal of strongholds, so that should happen in the next few hours.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Strongholds are confirmed, they're at $3.21m (with Paypal). and the megadungeon has 9 levels now. It looks like they could make it for a second city. They need to get $145k each day in the next two days, which isn't that much more then they made today. It'll probably be pretty close.

With about a day left, Eternity needs about $175K in order to get to the last stretch goal. With the usual "winding-down boom", do we think this is possible? Reasonable?
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

It might just get there. With the amount of money they're getting now it's not far fetched, but I'll be close enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    With about a day left, Eternity needs about $175K in order to get to the last stretch goal. With the usual "winding-down boom", do we think this is possible? Reasonable?
    They only need 70k with 23:30 left. Twitter has paypal numbers ($100k). They should hit it. =)
    Last edited by Internet; 16-10-2012 at 02:36 AM.