Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    They only need 70k with 23:30 left. Twitter has paypal numbers ($100k). They should hit it. =)
    Aha. I had forgotten about the Paypal donations. Cheers for the reminder. And in that case it looks like $3.5 million is a lock.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Aha. I had forgotten about the Paypal donations. Cheers for the reminder. And in that case it looks like $3.5 million is a lock.
    I just hope they don't lose too much payment failures. At $3.5m, 2% is $70k, which is a lower-level developers salary for a year (or two testers).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Their kickstarter now says 3,432,388. Adding the Paypal, that means Mega city no. 2 is home safe! Well, provided that people don't start withdrawing pledges left and right. Yay!

Activated Node
    I really can't decide whether to stay at the $50 digital tier or go up to the $140 physical tier, aaaaaaahhhhh! 15 hours to go

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhagan View Post
    I really can't decide whether to stay at the $50 digital tier or go up to the $140 physical tier, aaaaaaahhhhh! 15 hours to go
    If I had the money I would seriously consider going for the $250 tier. This game already looks like its shaping up into something special and there'll be less than 2000 signed versions of this game out there. That's something that could actually become a collectors item.

Alas, I can't be that irresponsible with my money, so the $20 tier it is for me.

Also, I like the giant statue concept for the megadungeon. I hope they don't skimp out on levels by just putting them around it and making them small, but it looks really neat. I think they might be able to squeeze out one or two more levels on it.

Most importantly, they're asking for stretch goal ideas everywhere.
    Last edited by Internet; 16-10-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I wonder how many copies this game will sell when it's finally finished. There are currently around 67k backers. I wonder how that compares to their projected sales targets. And how will that effect marketing as the game nears completion? Ie, of a lot of your core audience already have the game, then marketing will be a lot less cost effective, economies of scale and all that.

Or, maybe they'll budget things and work it so that they break even even if they don't sell a single copy of the game when it is released. Which is abusing the kickstarter system a little, as the company will be avoiding any financial risk, at the cost of all of us :p

Or maybe it will sell a million and a be a poster child for the pc game renaissance :p

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    I wonder how many copies this game will sell when it's finally finished. There are currently around 67k backers. I wonder how that compares to their projected sales targets. And how will that effect marketing as the game nears completion? Ie, of a lot of your core audience already have the game, then marketing will be a lot less cost effective, economies of scale and all that.

Or, maybe they'll budget things and work it so that they break even even if they don't sell a single copy of the game when it is released. Which is abusing the kickstarter system a little, as the company will be avoiding any financial risk, at the cost of all of us :p

Or maybe it will sell a million and a be a poster child for the pc game renaissance :p
    Well the great thing about Kickstarter is that it sort of doubles as advertisement. The game may not come out for another 2 years or so, but you they've already achieved an enormous amount of press, and quite a lot of sites will continue to report on the game, not to mention discussions in forums.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And it's official. $3.5m on the kickstarter. The mega dungeon is now down to 11 levels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Baldur's Gate 2 sold over a million. DA:O sold $400k in physical (PC) copies. I'd be very surprised if they at least didn't match their kickstarter sales with actual sales.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wonder how many copies this game will sell when it's finally finished.
    It's going to eat into full-price day-one sales for sure. I'd expect them to drop off. But a year or so after following a few Steam sales and maybe even a bundle? It'll be doing very well I'd imagine.

$4 million: Enhance the whole game. Also, Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum. Five hours; under $325k to get there.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Network Hub

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    The thing to remember: Day 1 sales are largely meaningless for this game (and for any intelligently managed crowd-sourced game).

The purpose of day 1 sales:

Recoup losses on development: They already did that before they started development (more or less)
    Demonstrate viability of project/popularity: They already did that before they started development, and they only have to convince themselves.
    Ensure a large community: Again, already done in the KS phase

Beyond that, it is just money coming in alongside other previously released titles. Nice, but not a big deal.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'm not really liking what's going on with this particular kickstarter campaign, I'm sure this has been discussed previously on the thread, but I need to say it out loud:

As much as hyped as I am, I'm really feeling dissapointed on how Obsidian is overselling the game. It feels like I'm buying DLC even before the game is even released. Stretch goals are one thing, and fragmenting the game and forcing things onto it just to gather more money is another one.

When I buy a game I like to see it as a work born from the effort of someone with a clear and definite vision of what they are doing, what do they want, and what do they want to accomplish. If they have so many ideas on how to expand the game even when they haven't really started working on it I feel like they don't know that much what are they doing, the feeling that they are just improvisating, and that the game is something arbitrary that can change whenever they want and as much as they want. And even more when stretch goals seem to be coming up spontaneously, and not according from a list provided from the beginning.

All this, I think, is pretty harmful for what I think a game should be.

I don't know, I don't really like this at all.
    Last edited by Vartawelks; 16-10-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So what's bad about designing the game around the budget?

The live stream is fucking hilarious

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    So what's bad about designing the game around the budget?

The live stream is fucking hilarious
    Too many creepers hitting on the women there and people asking "is he your token black guy?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Also: God damn it.

I've been on the fence about doing another Arcanum run for a few weeks. SCREW YOU OBSIDIAN!!!! :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I enjoyed Arcanum a lot less the most recent time I tried to play it. It's a nice setting and it's almost an excellent game, but its too big for its own good. It lacks pacing and direction and simply doesn't have enough to it in places. It's no fun to trek through the wilderness to visit a remote town just to find that there's nothing worth doing there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's clear that they were less prepared than they should have been, but I think that coming up with responsible stretch goals is a better thing to do once you have achieved unexpected success. This is especially true since this game is going to be a foundation for future games, so when they come up with extra content now, that means their future games will be more robust to begin with.

I've been less crazy about all their different tiers, but some of them (like the playing cards) are pretty neat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I enjoyed Arcanum a lot less the most recent time I tried to play it. It's a nice setting and it's almost an excellent game, but its too big for its own good. It lacks pacing and direction and simply doesn't have enough to it in places. It's no fun to trek through the wilderness to visit a remote town just to find that there's nothing worth doing there.
    I would say it's excellent just for Tarant, but all your criticisms are valid.