Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It's clear that they were less prepared than they should have been, but I think that coming up with responsible stretch goals is a better thing to do once you have achieved unexpected success. This is especially true since this game is going to be a foundation for future games, so when they come up with extra content now, that means their future games will be more robust to begin with.
    Yeah. Plus I don't really think what they've added as stretch goals has been that much. Extra races and classes? Assuming those races were already part of the fiction and 'adding' them was basically just making them playable, that seems fine. A stronghold is effectively a mini-game in itself which would be better as part of the core concept of the game, but it works as an add-on. An extra big city? Well presumably the game has multiple towns. Scaling one of these up so that there's more fiction, quests and land-mass to one of them again seems something that can be added and help with world-building without affecting the core of the game. The extra dungeon is another distinct bit too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    How big is a "big big city" anyway ? Baldur's Gate big, or Sigil big ?

URGENT!
    2 hours to go, 1 space left in early bird discounts !
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 16-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Yeah. Plus I don't really think what they've added as stretch goals has been that much. Extra races and classes? Assuming those races were already part of the fiction and 'adding' them was basically just making them playable, that seems fine. A stronghold is effectively a mini-game in itself which would be better as part of the core concept of the game, but it works as an add-on. An extra big city? Well presumably the game has multiple towns. Scaling one of these up so that there's more fiction, quests and land-mass to one of them again seems something that can be added and help with world-building without affecting the core of the game. The extra dungeon is another distinct bit too.
    From what I've heard from them, there was really not that much lore at the start. They wanted to make a small game in a small part of the world. JE Sawyer specifically said he would love to do strongholds, but they would be too much work (i.e. too much money). It sounds like they're keeping true to the fiction they have, and the second big city is going to be in another city-state rather than changing the lore.

I thought the extra dungeon was a neat touch of fan-service and the drawing is super cool.

Also paypal is at $131k right now, so $4m is only 30k away.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    This is the official description of the stretch goal:

Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.
    So it looks like the former. Which makes sense, a game with two cities the size of Sigil would be huge and probably not within the scope of a Kickstarter project.

There was never a doubt that this project would be very succesful, but I honestly didn't expect it to go past three millions. It'll be really exciting to see what Obsidian makes of this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It looks like the Mega Dungeon is going to have 13 levels ! The final boss on level #13, how creepy.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post

URGENT!
    2 hours to go, 1 space left in early bird discounts !
    Yeah I upped my pledge from $20 to $50...

Counting PayPal they have over 75k backers. Considering 72,5k was level 13 of the mega dungeon, can we assume that another level is to be?

EDIT: Yes. Yes, we can. They explicitly say so on their KS page. Ahem.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 17-10-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Counting PayPal they have over 75k backers. Considering 72,5k was level 13 of the mega dungeon, can we assume that another level is to be?

EDIT: Yes. Yes, we can. They explicitly say so on their KS page. Ahem.
    Plus the way things are going the KS alone might almost get to 75k.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Wow, that's a lot of money they've raised in the past 72 hours or so. With PayPal contributions, the total is somewhere around $4.1m.

After all those stretch goals, it should be a huge game packed with interesting stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Avellone got so fucking drunk! The party stream was awesome.

Almost $4M excluding PayPal impressed the hell out of me. I thought that the $3.5M stretch goal was hopelessly optimistical, but fortunately they proved me wrong.

Did anyone else follow their twitch.tv broadcast at the end? There was naturally (sadly, but internet) an element of sexism and racism in the comments, but I think that the broadcast really was great fun. If the person who pledged the 10k near the end really (partly) did it so that the guy with the beard would shave, that was wonderfully peculiar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Almost $4M excluding PayPal impressed the hell out of me. I thought that the $3.5M stretch goal was hopelessly optimistical, but fortunately they proved me wrong.

Did anyone else follow their twitch.tv broadcast at the end? There was naturally (sadly, but internet) an element of sexism and racism in the comments, but I think that the broadcast really was great fun. If the person who pledged the 10k near the end really (partly) did it so that the guy with the beard would shave, that was wonderfully peculiar.
    'element'. I had to stop watching the stream. It was like a comments section on youtube in realtime. Individually petty and collectively vile.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    'element'. I had to stop watching the stream. It was like a comments section on youtube in realtime. Individually petty and collectively vile.
    You know you didn't have to actually read them though?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    You know you didn't have to actually read them though?
    Gosh, no! I thought there was a test on the comments at the end!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So what prude journalist is going to be the first to condemn Obsidian for running with the Green Shirt Girl thing?

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Yep. Because the world of art should be a prude, sterile environment, fit for people of upstanding moral virtues. Maybe we should just get the Church to fund all these games.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    Yep. Because the world of art should be a prude, sterile environment, fit for people of upstanding moral virtues. Maybe we should just get the Church to fund all these games.
    The Church of Sweden actually did fund a game back in 2010. From the looks of it, it was some sort of Diablo clone based on the Old Testament.

http://www.testamentgame.com/

Network Hub
    That "Left Behind" game that had an uncomfortably disproportionate investment in its marketing campaign compared to the quality of the product also comes to mind.