Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I'm kinda excitet about this game but as I have bound myseld to a simple Kickstarter rule: only projects which aree DRM free (not counting for multiplayer accounts) and have a native Linux client are getting backed. There are so many great projects on Kickstarter, I have to draw I line somewhere.
    But I doubt this one will get on my list.
    Last edited by bonkers; 15-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I'm flabbergasted they manage to gather money so fast, compared to Wasteland 2. Obsidian seems to me a second rate developer (not third rate). They make okay games, but not great ones.
    Yeah but they make interesting games. There are plenty of great games out there, the demand for more really good games isn't that high - loads to choose from. The demand for truly interesting and innovative games though... that's something that we don't see much of out-side of very low-budget indies these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Impressed/amused that sometime since launch they've removed the international shipping charges from $500+ bundles. It did look a bit silly someone could send them three grand then have to pay $30 extra.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    New Vegas was better than Fallout 3. Neverwinter Nights 2 was better than Neverwinter Nights. KotoR 2 was better than 1. Also Alpha Protocol was better than Mass Effect. I don't know if Obsidian were hampered or helped by being forced to ape the original games, maybe it allowed them to concentrate on the narrative. Either way, I'd like to see what happens when they finally get to produce their own title with no publisher interference.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I'm flabbergasted they manage to gather money so fast, compared to Wasteland 2.
    I'm flabbergasted they manage to gather money so fast, compared to Wasteland 2.
    If you didn't play the original Wasteland when it was released, would you really feel a strong urge to contribute? How long ago was that game released? Do the original fans really have the time to play games like they used to? Will younger fans be aware of the title's influence? Will they care? Will they believe it to be derivative of Fallout? Should they perhaps have called it Wasteland: Subtitle so as to not raise the question of whether a 20 year old plot from a now-ancient game will be relevant?

Obsidian is a currently solvent, productive developer. They have, as a group, a body of work that can be evaluated and which can allow a customer to make some educated guesses about how their next project will turn out. Can the same be said for the team behind Wasteland 2? How many games have been made by that team as opposed to each individual member? I'm not trying to diminish anyone's excitement, but there is a massive difference between the two.

Care for an example? Look at Ron Gilbert. Sure, everyone is quick to praise him for his old work back at LucasArts, but the general outlook on his most recent work has been muted. Deathspank didn't exactly set the world on fire, and while RPS has been covering The Cave I wonder how many people are as excited for it as for, say, Firaxis' XCOM, despite the fact that XCOM is a remake of a beloved classic, there isn't anyone involved with Gilbert's pedigree, and Firaxis last game, Civ V, was divisive, to say the least.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we shouldn't rest too much on the shoulders of once-influential developers returning to the spotlight, nor should we be surprised that younger teams (and those who never bowed out, like Tim Schaefer and Sid Meier) are able to muster more donations, faster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Listen to Skeletons.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    Hey wizardry, what's the best old-school RPG to get started on?
    What sort of era are we talking about here? 1975-1985? 1985-1990? 1990-1995?

So Project Eternity got backed within 24 hours... That went rather fast.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Network Hub
    Let's hope it reaches 100k backers and $4m..

Well, 2.4m (the maximum stretch goal at the moment) seems quite realistic and I'm very excited about this. Also, is there any reason why they put ToEE on that presentation image but not Arcanum and Bloodlines?
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Well, 2.4m (the maximum stretch goal at the moment) seems quite realistic and I'm very excited about this. Also, is there any reason why they put ToEE on that presentation image but not Arcanum and Bloodlines?
    They do namedrop Arcanum in the video, no clue about Bloodlnes. And they better come up with more stretchgoalds because at this pace they will blow past that 2.4m$ mark pretty soon.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    I'm kinda excitet about this game but as I have bound myseld to a simple Kickstarter rule: only projects which aree DRM free (not counting for multiplayer accounts) and have a native Linux client are getting backed. There are so many great projects on Kickstarter, I have to draw I line somewhere.
    But I doubt this one will get on my list.
    No information on DRM, but Linux version is pretty much a given now:

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!
    Great news, everyone! For the Tarball Knights of Gzippia out there, we'll be adding Linux support!
    Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.
    With $1.2m already and 30 days to go, it would be incredible if they didn't manage to gather $2.2m .
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up :)

• DRM Free: We are looking into it! Please check back for updates

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y/posts/309364

I'm cautiously backing for $20 (limited discount tier). Fully prepared to pull my money back if they don't decide to go the DRM-free route.
    pass

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...4-release-date

That's what I'm personally looking forward.
    At the core of the rules will be souls. In the Kickstarter video, Josh Sawyer said a character's soul was tied to the magic system. Cain expanded: "No, you don't have to be evil to access any abilities. They aren't categorised like that. Instead, in this world, your soul is connected to your power. Simply put, people who have whole, unbroken souls are more powerful than those people who just have fragments of souls. The nature of these souls, and how they might break, is something we will explore in the game.

"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."
    Also of note
    Multiplayer isn't ruled out. "Interest?" Tim Cain mulled. "Yes, but not if it risks reducing the scope or quality of the single-player game in any way. Single-player gaming is our focus."

Oh, and Project Eternity "will have guns", Cain told me, "but we are not going into their details right now".
    Last edited by Revisor; 18-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Apparently it isn't using the Onyx engine. The middleware in it costs too much. I wonder if they can take any assets from it?

Chris Avellone ‏@ChrisAvellone
    @Ibrzu No, we will not. We like the Onyx engine, but it'll likely be too expensive considering the middleware attachments.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    That's a shame. Dungeon Siege 3 had some problems, but the engine wasn't one of them. I'm guessing they will go with Unity then, since they're planning to have a version for Mac and Linux.

Mr. Urquhart has been really active in the Kickstarter discussion. Here's a summary, courtesy of a kind internet soul

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/603...d-by-obsidian/

They need to save money because they're on a tight budget. Dungeon Siege III engine may look good when you pour AAA money into it, but Baldur's Gate was fine without it.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    They need to save money because they're on a tight budget. Dungeon Siege III engine may look good when you pour AAA money into it, but Baldur's Gate was fine without it.
    Well, a good idea, properly funded, is always a nice experience. And indeed "properly funded" isn't the same as "AAA money." But it still needs to be properly funded.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen