Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar

EA's been trying to buy Valve for a while

Says Destructoid:

According to faceless know-it-alls chatting to the New York Times, Electronic Arts has tried multiple times to get its hands on Valve, and could have been prepared to part with $1 billion to slip the Steam platform holder in its pocket.

Rather than confirm or deny the report, Valve head Gabe Newell simply said it wouldn't happen -- or at least, that he'd rather Valve disintegrate and send its employees out into the world than sell up to another major publisher.

"It's way more likely we would head in that direction than say, 'Let's find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,' " he said.

It's really hardly surprising, given that EA likes to buy hot studios and turn them into hit factories. I hope Valve continues to resist though -- we need more companies like it in this industry, not less.

So that's an alleged thing.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    It's a private company.

EA doesn't have a pot to piss on.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I don't think there's much incentive for Gabe to sell Valve. The company through steam is extremely profitable. This just sounds like Destructoid fishing for hits.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Well, it IS a Jim Sterling piece...

EDIT:

Valve would have to be insane to sell. They're doing ridiculously well as is.
    Last edited by Splynter; 11-09-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: More commenting.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Of COURSE they are trying to buy Valve. EVERYONE is trying to buy Valve. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if CD Projekt were trying to buy Valve.

But Valve have no incentive to sell and are more financially stable than just about anyone in the industry, so it is pointless.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Or, you know, the person who wrote the post on d-toid could have just read the NYT article and actually find out that there was never an offer from EA, just that they would have valued Valve at 1 billion $ if the talks ever went that far. At this point Valve is valued at around 2.5 Billion.

Furthermore Gabe said that there's more chance of Valve disintegrating than there ever coming to a corporate takeover. Not that he'd rather see this or that.

Also, fuck games journalism.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I vaguely remember a similar story a few years ago about MS wanting to buy Valve and when asked for comment Gabe said something like "we're not interested in acquiring Microsoft at this time"...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I don't think EA could afford to buy Valve at this point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I vaguely remember a similar story a few years ago about MS wanting to buy Valve and when asked for comment Gabe said something like "we're not interested in acquiring Microsoft at this time"...
    I think that was from an interview John Walker did with Gabe Newell where he jokingly said he had a friend who thought MS would buy Valve. It should be somewhere on the site but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I think the odds of someone inside the industry buying Valve are pretty low. I think the odds of someone much bigger, who wants an inroad into the industry (say, Amazon) doing so are somewhat greater. I don't think it'll happen while Gabe's still around, though.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I don't think EA could afford to buy Valve at this point.
    That sums it up well. $1B certainly wouldn't cut it. They'd need to be in the $3-4B range now based on valuations. And Gabe isn't selling. And Valve hasnt even started the hardware game yet...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I don't think it'll happen while Gabe's still around, though.
    Or whilst Valve remain a private company.

God help them if they go listed. The stockholder business model has a great track record in producing safe, boring and shit product when there's a lot of money at stake.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Or whilst Valve remain a private company.

God help them if they go listed. The stockholder business model has a great track record in producing safe, boring and shit product when there's a lot of money at stake.
    gave worked for microsoft and he knows what it means to answer to shareholders. Furthermore, he is his own boss and does whatever he wants to and if he allows valve to be listed he will have to answer to shareholders even if he hold 50% +1 shares.

even if gabe croaks, there is no risk for valve going public. if rest of top management leaves valve (hard or easy way) then valve going public is very very possible thing. then it can be bought.
    that eventuality is years away tough.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    When Gamestop acquired Impulse I pretty much walked away from the service and the 30-40 games I had on there. Would be harder to do with my 5-600 games if Valve sold out - which is, let's be honest, entirely possible within the next 5-10 years, but less likely in the near future.

Wow, what a non-story.

What's money compared to being the lead of Steam?

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    What's money compared to being the lead of Steam?
    Something about reigning in Hell...

EA likes to buy hot studios and turn them into hit factories
    I have seen the former happen, yes.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    A highly profitable private company can never be safe from being taken over. Sometimes people may just want to cash out to enjoy their life while they can, you know. It's just not worth working to the death just to earn the last drop of profit. No one can earn all the wealth he desire, after all. Once you earn what you originally desire, you always want more.

That remains to be seen whether success of EA's proposal works for or against us. A solid DRM requires effort to maintain, while what a publicly listed company like EA seeks is all quick profit. Not just high profitability, but that it must be quick. Fxxk yeah, good night perfect street day protection!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    A highly profitable private company can never be safe from being taken over. Sometimes people may just want to cash out to enjoy their life while they can, you know. It's just not worth working to the death just to earn the last drop of profit. No one can earn all the wealth he desire, after all. Once you earn what you originally desire, you always want more.
    no company is ever safe from being taken over. unless i guess it is government owned in communist country which is not in risk of regime change in next 20 years. even then i can imagine a situation where a company is going to be taken over.

gabe might want to retire and then can sell of his shares. it all depends on company's constitution but it is possible that gabe could make EA, Activision a shareholder in a privately owned company.
    the issue is tough that it is highly unlikely and knowing how volatile the industry is, worrying what may happen in 10 years is just silly in my opinion.