Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Programming/Coding in Games

Ok, so this is obviously inspired by the other two threads! But it got me thinking: a lot of pc gamers appear to have at least some basic knowledge of computer programming, or an interest in learning. A lot of us actually enjoy creating programs and puzzle solving! And I'm sure quite a lot of people who program also play some games.

are there any games that involve coding as a game mechanic? Usually, "hacking" is treated as a simplistic match 3 puzzle game something.

The only example I can think of just now is Spacechem. And Notch is planning on having a programmable computer in the space game he's working on, but I don't think many details have been released.

Any other ideas?

Network Hub
    I heard about Code Hero from a podcast awhile back. It supposedly teaches game coding in Unity using a game interface. I haven't played it myself, so I can't speak to its effectiveness in that area (I'm skeptical).

Network Hub
    B.A.T., which is old enough that it was released on the Amiga, Atari ST and PC (and I think the C64) (http://www.mobygames.com/game/bat ) gave you a wrist-mounted computer that you could do very simple programming on, IIRC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Haha, I just remembered that The Island of Dr. Brain required you to program these little robots to solve a puzzle. (The "programming" was just directional instructions, but the different robots would interpret the instructions in different ways).

Digital: A Love Story gives a weird feeling of being a leet phone phreaker but without doing any actual haxxingz. =P

Haven't played any games with actual coding-coding in them though...
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Minecraft, sort of. Has a programmable block and mods have added computers which I think you can program with forth.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.tomjubert.com/irrational - Ir/rational teaches the basics of formal logic which underpin programming.

The combat systems in Final Fantasy XII and (to a lesser extent) Dragon Age let you set up really simple bots based of a sort of programming language. I'm sure there are examples of similar things in strategy games, where you effectively write the AI for units but can't think of which now.

Network Hub
    You can build a computer from scratch in Minecraft, without mods - I remember seeing a Minecraft in Minecraft vid a while back (simple 2d in I think an 8x8 grid, but it had gravity, physics, jumping, and block placement/removal). I've done a simple ALU myself, as well as designing some low level components for other machines. It's fun, and I had a great time in Computer Architecture class by building basic components in Minecraft as the teacher lectured about them - I made it a race to complete each part before she moved on to the next one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Nobody cites Uplink? Ok, it's just minigames but still.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    And Notch is planning on having a programmable computer in the space game he's working on, but I don't think many details have been released.
    The spec for the CPU and other bits are out: http://0x10cwiki.com/wiki/DCPU-16

(Strange how I've gone from "so complicated!" 6 months ago to "my god how can you code anything with so few opcodes D:" now...)
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Banned
    Programming != Scripting

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Programming != Scripting
    explain please?

Network Hub
    He says, Programming does not equal Scripting.

Well that depends. I am a software developer, I don't develop games (wish I did) but I write software for business/local government.

Depends how define it, a piece of programming code could be described as a script as it's something the computer follows and executes. I suppose scripting in this sense would be something that runs on top of existing program code which affects the outcome of said program. It's not something developed from scratch, rather just something that executes in tandem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Programming != Scripting
    Programming is programming is programming. I mean, I do sneer at script languages, but they are programming all right. Now HTML on the other hand...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Programming is programming is programming. I mean, I do sneer at script languages, but they are programming all right. Now HTML on the other hand...
    Yes. Beware of purists though. This conversation could get out of hand very quickly

Dark Signs or Dark Signs Online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    How about LEGO ? Here's the world's fastest Rubik Cube solver. Beats the human record by a fraction of a second.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0LfkIut2M
    pass

Network Hub
    If your looking for programming games the best place to go is currently: http://programminggames.org/

Most of the games listed are pretty ancient though.