Dishonored - A Question for Artists

I just completed Dishonored and it was marvelous. The art in the game was what really awed me. The world Arcane created was rich in understated detail. The technology and magic was cohesive and fascinating. The characters were believable with just the right shade of grey and beautifully voiced.

But by far the most compelling aspect of the art for me was the graphical style. Unfortunately I am a pheasant when it comes to visual art and have no idea what this style is called. I can not get enough of the hand painted, feature and limb exaggerated characters and the oil painting like vistas. I can barely articulate what I liked about it. In many ways I find it similar to a lot of the art that blizzard does but I think that might just be the result of hand painting each and every texture instead of using touched up photography. Someone tell me what this kind of art is called and where I can get more of it. Are there conventional artists (canvass/print) that do anything similar?

Activated Node
    The art in game is heavily inspired by art style from beggining of 20 century called Art Deco and Art Nouveau.

I dont know if that is exactly what you asking right here ? Anyway, if you enjoy marvelous graphic works in games i highly recommend you to check out Witcher 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotomist View Post
    The art in game is heavily inspired by art style from beggining of 20 century called Art Deco and Art Nouveau.

I dont know if that is exactly what you asking right here ? Anyway, if you enjoy marvelous graphic works in games i highly recommend you to check out Witcher 2 as well.
    Art Nouveau, sure, but I'd argue that Art Deco isn't actually featured that much. It's something much more prominent in Bioshock.

Bioshock is more Art Deco. And I just found out that Art Nouveau is Jugendstil. Awesome.

Anyhow, theres lots of different elements in Dishonored. Theres the standard Steampunk fare, as well as elements from Jugendstil and simple industrialism of the late 1800s.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Fair bit of J.C. Leyendecker and Norman Rockwell influence, too, it seems.

Edit: It's a devastatingly beautiful game, especially when it comes to the level design and architecture. This more than anything is the prime example of a good art style trumping raw shaders jiggerypokery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomeoftom View Post
    J.C. Leyendecker
    Came here to offer this, but you beat me to it.

Thanks guys, art noveau was exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely have a look at some of Rockwell's and Leyendecker's works.