Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar

Gamepads, KB/M, joysticks, all that stuff

Why don't we talk a bit about input methods! Since we're all true pc gamers, we have at least 5 different usb devices plugged in at any one time, and a separate area of our basements filled with eldritch machines that plug into ports no one has ever heard of. I visited my parents recently and looked longingly at an old joystick. This particular one is wired into so many awesome memories from my young days; Incoming, G-police, Moto Racer. I was tempted to bring it back with me but it uses some strange old port that I know nothing about and would probably need both adapter and a chalk pentagram in order to bring it to life.

These days, I play most everything with KB/M, but I have a 360 controller for racing, flying, platforming and some third person games. I've been fantasizing about my ideal peripheral though: A half gamepad with an analog stick for movement, and an ordinary mouse for aiming. And today I found out such a device actually already exists: http://splitfish.com/

There's no reason for me to buy one of those of course, even though they allegedly work with PC:s - I already have a great mouse, so my main question is: Can one find such a half-gamepad separately somewhere? Has anyone tried them out? Do they work well?

For some more general thread food: What are your current input devices? What ancient mechanisms do you remember fondly? What is the controller of your dreams?

Wouldn't it be possible to configure a game to use a regular (360) gamepad for movement and a mouse for aiming? I've never tried it myself but it seems like it should be doable somehow, perhaps with some 3rd part apps?

As for the original question, I got a 360 pad and I recently picked up a Thrustmaster Universal Challenge wheel for 20 euros. It's a cheap, flimsy thing, but for playing realistic driving sims (like Richard Burns Rally) it does have a better "feel" than the gamepad.
    Last edited by Henke; 13-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I only use xbox360 gamepad for emulation,other then that everything is played with my beloved Keyboard und maus!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Right now I've got a G500 that I love, a SteelSeries 64225 which I am STILL not used to typing on after about 3 months of ownership (It's great for gaming though). I've also got a Logitech 3D Pro joystick that I bought just for BF3, and of course a 360 pad that I use for things like AC, Psychonauts, Tomb Raider, etc. I keep the joystick and gamepad unplugged unless I am actively using them though. Just because I have a gamepad plugged in doesn't mean I want to use it to play YOU, Skyrim! I'd love to get a racing wheel some day, but I don't really play enough racing games to warrant it.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Funny enough I've just started playing Ass Creed 2 and my god does that game not feel good with KBM. It doesn't help that they did a lazy enough job porting the controls, though I give them credit for putting in 5 different KBM styles including two keyboard only control systems.

But the layout of the UI that shows the controls and then just gives you these random looking icons associated with buttons without telling you what the button is.

Also, when did Mouse 1 become Mouse 0??

Anyway, I use both depending on the games/mood I'm in. If I want to lean back and relax a gamepad is just better for it, but I'd never in my right mind try play something like an RTS on one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Right now I have a keyboard in front of me, a G27 wheel above that, my feet are on the G27's pedal box, to my right I have a Logitech G500 and an X52 Pro stick, on my left there's the G27's shifter and X52 throttle. Oh and there's a 360 pad on the floor like the idiot that it is (seriously, such sloppy analogue sticks...). Yeah, I'm a bit of a simulation nut.

I'm using an Apple keyboard at the moment, a wired aluminium one, just because it's all I had when I built my PC. I want to change it for a Das Keyboard or something but can't afford it now that college is starting up again, shame really.

As for old controllers that I loved, the Sega Dreamcast one was great, wasn't it? Not that comfortable if you had long fingers (tiny grips) but quirky in a good way and it used hall effect sticks, something that no-one else repeated until Sony started using them in a revision of the Dual Shock 3. Also the Namco NeGcon, what a bizarre but surprisingly good invention that was. I recently converted one to work on my PS3 and... Well, it wasn't easy to use, but it provided a much finer control than the sticks, probably because of the huge range of movement.

I like talking about control peripherals, I must say. Being an electronic engineer who is also a gamer (maybe we all are?) I'm interested in making my own, the NeGcon conversion was a start even though I never did manage to finish it. I'm also designing a button panel for my sim cockpit (which has since become an all-purpose thing) but it's so damn expensive to do it nicely, buttons are not cheap... 7 each for mechanical Knitter switches and I want about a million of them!
    Last edited by neema_t; 13-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.

I have a kb/m, and that is pretty much it. I also have a Sidewinder joystick for when I play IL-2 but otherwise it isnt even connected.

AssCreed 2 was ok on keyboard. No?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Any game where having a degree of control beyond four directions is beneficial I generally use a gamepad these days (i.e. platformers, flying vehicles, etc, etc, etc).

Some games feel better with a gamepad to me too, specifically a lot of console ports.

For an FPS game though? M/Kb or nothing.

I prefer to use a keyboard/mouse with everything and generally find it far more comfortable than a pad, even with games a lot of people here tend to think require pads. There's a couple of games I do use a pad with (Sonic Generations, Rayman Origins) and I don't generally sneer at the device, but I just personally find it uncomfortable to use and thus avoid using it beyond the few must-have cases. Don't really play anything that would require steering wheels or anything either.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a cheap wireless mouse and a keyboard I got for free about eight years ago. That's about all I really need. I used to use a joystick a lot but rarely play any game where they're relevant any more, so haven't had one for about 12 years. I've never owned any other type of control device.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Only crazy people use gamepads on a PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    There's no reason for me to buy one of those of course, even though they allegedly work with PC:s - I already have a great mouse, so my main question is: Can one find such a half-gamepad separately somewhere? Has anyone tried them out? Do they work well?
    Well that's a PS3 Move Navigation controller. Now whether anyone has that working on the PC is another question.

I use a 360 pad more and more these days, I actually aim with one now. For anything shooty shooty, or driving games (including Assassin's Creed).

Network Hub
    I only ever use my trusty 11 year old MX518, and currently a SteelSeries 6G keyboard (though I do want a Model M.) I will however use a joystick for games like X3.

The only other input device I use is a SNES controller I hacked for platformers and other games that are better with a d-pad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    I have a kb/m, and that is pretty much it. I also have a Sidewinder joystick for when I play IL-2 but otherwise it isnt even connected.

AssCreed 2 was ok on keyboard. No?
    I'm getting used to it, but the biggest issue I have with it is that it does things like showing a dpad and telling me to press dpad-up to pick my fists, down for sword, left for medicine. So it's just showing me these icons and every time it shows me a new one or one that isn't used all that often I have to go check the controls again.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I played the first AC game with KB/M and I thought they had done a good job of translating it from gamepad. The analogue movement of a pad does help though, and I like the rumble.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I'm one of those people who buy "gamer gear", but only if I feel it has actual features I would need. That's why I have a Razer Lachesis: not to get too much into it but I need my mouse to have as many buttons as possible. As for the keyboard, got the Logitech G19 mainly because it was on 50% off locally but also because again it had 12 macro buttons and back-lit keys. The screen was a nice bonus but other than using it to monitor CPU temps when benching, did not really care that it's there.

As for controllers, I've been buying 'em since the late 90's:
    Have the MS SideWinder Freestyle Pro, a clone of the PSX Dual Shock gamepad, bought a Sony Dual Shock 2 just to use it with a USB adapter (didn't own a PS2 in 2003), followed by a Logitech Rumblepad 2 (been using this for more than 5 years!), then an impulse buy: a Thrustmaster Run 'n Drive Wireless gamepad, was nostalgic for freespace 2 ergo: Logitech Force 3D Pro, Street Fighter IV on PC! Had to get a MadCatz Street Fighter IV gamepad, fond this on ebay: Jap Sega Saturn USB gamepad, another impulse buy: Saitek P3000 gamepad, a Logitech F710 gamepad and finally the jewel of the crown: a Logitech G940 Flight System in mint condition sold on clearance for $100

Pretty ridiculous that aside from the SF4 pad and the Logitech F710, everything else is in storage!
    Last edited by mashakos; 14-09-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Funny enough I've just started playing Ass Creed 2 and my god does that game not feel good with KBM. It doesn't help that they did a lazy enough job porting the controls, though I give them credit for putting in 5 different KBM styles including two keyboard only control systems.

But the layout of the UI that shows the controls and then just gives you these random looking icons associated with buttons without telling you what the button is.

Also, when did Mouse 1 become Mouse 0??

Anyway, I use both depending on the games/mood I'm in. If I want to lean back and relax a gamepad is just better for it, but I'd never in my right mind try play something like an RTS on one.
    I found all AC games (if you ignore that mouse acceleration crap in AC2 that required some tweaking) perfectly playable with a M+KB tbh.

I have a trackIR 5 for arma and a saitek x52 joystick for taking up space on my desk and looking amazing.

Also a 360 usb pad for platformers, and an old razer mouse with a buggered scroll wheel

KBM for FPSes, X360 for other stuff including SNES emu.

I've actually been enjoying playing Shooters with the pad tho, like Dead Space. I know it would be way, way easier for me with KBM but... I kind of enjoy the new challenge, and the different feel of controlling aim with the pad. A bit of a fresh air.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Only crazy people use gamepads on a PC.
    It was either that or download Dark Souls mouse fix and a software that lets you force remap keys.

Not crazy, just lazy.