Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I find it interesting the "360 pad" has totally superceded "gamepad". There are hundreds of different gamepads available for pc, and there always have been. Why has it become accepted that we only use the MS gamepad from their console? Is there anyone, like me, who uses a non-360 gamepad? Anyone at all? How did MS pull that one off?

I have a cheap generic USB gamepad that i picked up a few years ago for about 4 quid, and I've not really found anything it doesn't work on. though i don't often play games that prefer a gamepad.... I picked it up when i wanted to play Psychonauts and BG&E on pc.
    Probably because lots of people who play PC games also own an xbox 360 and you can use your xbox controller on your PC?

Also, because it's quite a good piece of hardware, and comfortable too. And let's not forget how most games use it it as the standard non-keyboard input.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I find it interesting the "360 pad" has totally superceded "gamepad". There are hundreds of different gamepads available for pc, and there always have been.
    I have a Xbox as well. Hence I had the pad already, just needed to get the wireless adapter. Why should I get another piece of plastic with buttons, when I already own a fully functional one? ;)
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa

Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Also, just about every modern game (and most of the older ones) where you would want a gamepad are designed with the PS3/360 in mind.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    As for steering wheels, the Logitech G27 seems to be more or less the standard these days. The DFGT is a cheaper alternative, and there are also, of course, products from Thrustmaster and Fanatec, but I don't know how they compare.

And the thing about the X360 controller is that it's almost always no hassle at all to configure, and given the choice between no hassle and the possibility of hassle, most people (myself included) go for the first one. That being said, Microsoft hardware has generally always been quite good, ever since the Sidewinder days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Probably because lots of people who play PC games also own an xbox 360 and you can use your xbox controller on your PC?
    I have a Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 which is the best gamepad I bought in years, it has YXAB buttons like the xbox and the best part is when video games have that layout built in it recognizes it as a xbox controller.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I have a Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 which is the best gamepad I bought in years, it has YXAB buttons like the xbox and the best part is when video games have that layout built in it recognizes it as a xbox controller.
    but then that gamepad is essentially a 360 pad, since it has XINPUT support and xbox 360 buttons (if not the same layout). I myself have the F710, the sole reason for buying it in spite of being very satisfied for the past 6 years with my trusty Logitech Rumblepad 2 is the lack of XINPUT support and xbox 360 buttons. Really annoying to have to use emulators (xbox 360 gamepad emulators that is, like xpadder) and guess what the game means by LB+RB+LT in a QTE situation!
    Last edited by mashakos; 05-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    You think that's bad? Try regularly gaming on a PS3 (with a PS3 controller) and a PC with the 360 controller. I have learned to hate the X button... oh so much.

(For those who aren't aware. Assuming the buttons are layed out as 4, 8, 6, and 2 on the numpad. 360 X is 4, PS3 X is 2. And those two buttons are some of the most commonly used in QTEs).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    You think that's bad? Try regularly gaming on a PS3 (with a PS3 controller) and a PC with the 360 controller. I have learned to hate the X button... oh so much.

(For those who aren't aware. Assuming the buttons are layed out as 4, 8, 6, and 2 on the numpad. 360 X is 4, PS3 X is 2. And those two buttons are some of the most commonly used in QTEs).
    I never had this problem when playing a game on my PS3 vs 360. (as in I have both consoles)

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    but then that gamepad is essentially a 360 pad, since it has XINPUT support and xbox 360 buttons (if not the same layout).
    That is exactly what I was saying, it's basically an Xbox controller for PC and games that support Xbox controllers, I don't own one so have this instead.

Also you confuse me a bit there, what was the sole reason you bought the F710?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Playing a lot of PSX in the nineties, it did take me a while to stop calling the xbox buttons by the PSX symbols. Sometimes I would tell my daughter to press square (on the Xbox) and she'd have to say there isn't one, but if I told her to press the X button she would just press A and probably die or something.

But in my mind when I say "X" and I'm talking about the PSX button, I imagine a symbol that isn't the letter X... on the Xbox, to me, it is the letter X. Sounds dumb but it's helped me avoid confusion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    That is exactly what I was saying, it's basically an Xbox controller for PC and games that support Xbox controllers, I don't own one so have this instead.

Also you confuse me a bit there, what was the sole reason you bought the F710?
    the answer was in my post somewhere:
    the lack of XINPUT support and xbox 360 button[ label]s.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've this plugged in right now:
    -One of those cheap build quality (overpriced) g15 keyboards from logitech
    - a logitech g9x mouse (using the logitech piece of shit mouse because my lachesis' middle mouse button broke)
    -driving force gt wheel (good wheel, awful pedals)
    -dual shock 3 (works through motioninjoy and ds3tool)

The wheel is great for racing games, can't go back to a gamepad ever again.
    The ps3 controller only gets used when I play on an emulator or very rarely for a platformer (rayman) or something like renegade ops.

Using a controller for any game with a free moving camera is a mortal sin.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I understand why 360 pads might have advantages, but I don't understand why it's become an accepted default. there are dozens of other USB pads you could plug in and they would work in exactly the same way. They might even have the exact same layout and feel. But that shouldn't mean that those gamepads are effectively 360 pads, it should mean that 360 pads are effectively directx usb pads.

Even RPS articles always say things like "you can choose between a mouse and keyboard or a 360 pad" rather than "you can choose between a mouse and keyboard or a gamepad".

I dont' really care, it's great marketing by Microsoft and it might be a great pad. But it's weird to observe.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I'm thinking of getting a new mousepad, preferably a quite big one. Historically I've preferred high mouse sens, but lately I've been going lower and lower to increase my precision (mostly for FPS), and my current mousepad is just too small for the kind of movement I want now. Anyone know any good, cheap and big ones?

Funny you ask that, I have a friend that I believe at one time told me he used an xbox 360 controller to move and a mouse to shoot in TF2.

As for myself, I have an Xbox 360 controller for console centric games, platformers, open world etc, and a Logitech gamepad for older games and multiplayer funs. I also have a PC compatible arcade stick, but its rather finicky on the computer for such things.

I actually remember as a kid we bought a joystick which the bottom have disconnected and became a gamepad. Never did get it to work because the laptop we had didn't have a gamepad slot, nor did our PC have drivers for the USB port. Did I just date myself?

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new mousepad, preferably a quite big one. Historically I've preferred high mouse sens, but lately I've been going lower and lower to increase my precision (mostly for FPS), and my current mousepad is just too small for the kind of movement I want now. Anyone know any good, cheap and big ones?
    http://steelseries.com/products/surf...ries-qck-heavy

I have this one, it's awesome and huge.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    the answer was in my post somewhere:
    But isn't the F710 the same as mine, just wireless? Because it has the same button layout.

But isn't the F710 the same as mine, just wireless? Because it has the same button layout.
    Read it again, he didn't replace the controller you have with the F710.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    http://steelseries.com/products/surf...ries-qck-heavy

I have this one, it's awesome and huge.
    Is there any point to the thickness? Because the thinner variant is much cheaper.