Hybrid View

Angry Unfortunate retirement: a need for a server admin.

NOTE: Long rambling crap that nobody possibly cares about. The long and short of it is at the end of the post.

Despite I seemed to inherit the crown of RPS tribes server admin I have been doing a bad, actually no, an AWFUL job of trying to keep the ball rolling over the past couple of months. So bad have I been with things that I have yet to see even the damn Technician patch in action!
    My reasons have been numerous, strongest has been that my monitor did a Samsung (with it being a Samsung) and its cps bust. Going through a couple of CRTs (which were so wobbly playing something like Tribes on them made me motion sick) and a small borrowed 19" monitor I've been waiting for a new unit in the post for a little while now.
    Looks like the new screen is DOA, and with that I admit my patience has run out. Life has multiple demands being thrown at me from all angles and running about bending my back out of shape simply to play some games is just no longer worth it.

What does all this melodramatic nonsense from a worthless nobody have to do with Tribes Ascend?
    For the longest time I ran the server and it seemed the community was running on me putting up games. I admit I want to see the games keep on going (essentially knowing that the server is continuing) but I have a number of other issues to contend with and putting up games that I wont be playing and cannot monitor is not something on my agenda right now.
    Thats where I, or more importantly, YOU need to help out! If you want the community to continue on going and growing into something larger, then someone needs to step up and take my place. Its not really to hard in all honnesty: List a game on the steam group, set a time and then from there keep that going.

There is a bit of an issue in the context that HiRez made the genius choice of linking servers to accounts so that unless I sell / give my account away the current RPS server is tied to me. If someone wants to take over I suggest they either pony up the cash for a new server or asks the community to see if they can come to some arrangement. The old server under my account will be open until further notice, but it will be set to CTF and there will be little to no moderation unfortunately.

Anyhow, sorry for this guys. Crap has happened and I'm just trying to deal with it.

TLDR: If you want the Tribes community here to continue somebody please step up and take the lead!

Shazbot!

I have 4 days left on my server - I can only make some matches friday and sundays but will be there when I am able. I will post more stuff to the steam group. For friday(tomorrow/today) we can use my server so I can moderate it and maybe sunday, afterwards we'll just use the one Scum has set up unless we can get another dedicated mod(I'd be willing to throw in a little cash on some gold for someone who can make more games).

Thanks for everything scum, shitty about the problems.

I will, however continue to set up everything on steam - scum if you can give me admin on the group that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by AuralViolations View Post
    I will, however continue to set up everything on steam - scum if you can give me admin on the group that would be great.
    I hope you are okay with me doing that.

Also, more on topic:

Thank you Scum!

Do you know how long the server is still paid for? And if it is up for longer, do some (more active than me ^^) people know the admin password? So that trolls can be kicked if need be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    First I wish to thank you Scum for all the work you did do for the RPS Tribes community. You are one of the guys who kicked it into something that works and is alive.

For the server, just let it run out, we will figure something out I think.

Well, since I can see the games are still running on Steam all is still flowing. Cheers Aural for keeping things running and cheers for everyone for turning up to all the mess I tried to run.
    Keep it up guys

No worries mate, we will be waiting for your eventual return
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

I've not checked in a while as this laptop really does not like tribes and I try to avoid running it from here (at the lowest res and minimum settings it chuggs along at 10 FPS while the CPU screams like its about to die... on the title screen). Just as a hint to DeVadder: the password is the same as the prior one that the RPS server had.
    I think Aural tried to get into the server settings but the tribes browser being the tribes browser seemed to not work. When I was last on there was roughly 35 days left, but that was about a week or so ago.

The pass works, but i cannot see the remaining days.
    Well well, HiRez...

Does not really matter, we will probably find out. ^^

I got into the server admin stuff but it didn't work - I couldn't kick or ban people. The whole system sucks. Hirez really should get it working - probably why all the customs are always empty.

And thanks DeVadder. When will you grace us with your presence again? Been too busy Smiting for us lowly tribesmen?

I think I am going to just let the server run out before buying another as I am out of gold at the moment, I will pick up some more when the time comes, no point in wasting it though.

I didn't schedule a Weds game for today. I can never make weds games and I'm not sure if anyone else does anyway. Should I keep scheduling them(keep in mind they will just be CTF until I set up a new server).

Quote Originally Posted by AuralViolations View Post
    And thanks DeVadder. When will you grace us with your presence again? Been too busy Smiting for us lowly tribesmen?
    Too many games, too little time. Mostly a matter of time. But when i got to play, it recently was mostly Guild Wars 2 and Smite indeed. However, i indeed played a few rounds of Tribes this week. ^^

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    Friday afternoons are the only events I really have a chance to make with my U.S. East schedule, and that's only if I get off early. (which is likely tomorrow) Sundays are often busy, so I never know if I'll be around.

Same for me, I got lots of stuff to keep me busy: borderlands 2, ftl, dredmor, dota 2... but I manage to squeeze a game or two in from time to time.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS