Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1. #1
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488

    Rock, Paper, Squelch: The First.

    http://jamsponge.tumblr.com/post/957...cal-corruption

    So dont. But lets discuss this article.

    Topics that are going to be pruned ie. offlimits:

    That ZQ thing!
    YEEGADS, the press is in bed with each other!
    Corruption of game critics.

    note: I apologise in advance, but this thread should be within the parameters set using that article.

    note2: in case this is my last thread, lets make it a good one.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 25-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    1,874
    note2: in case this is my last thread, lets make it a good one.
    You are resigning?

  3. #3
    Given what happened to the last thread whats the point?

  4. #4
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    You are resigning?
    no but it is a bit cheeky. I dont think Jim minds if we uphold those topics banned, but I never know with the heavenly ion cannon. Still think there should be an outlet on this o nthese forums, we just have to cut certain stuff out.

    sigh.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Enjoy the echochamber. RPS ueber alles!!!

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    http://jamsponge.tumblr.com/post/957...cal-corruption

    So dont. But lets discuss this article.

    Topics that are going to be pruned ie. offlimits:

    That ZQ thing!
    YEEGADS, the press is in bed with each other!
    Corruption of game critics.

    note: I apologise in advance, but this thread should be within the parameters set using that article.

    note2: in case this is my last thread, lets make it a good one.
    So. He think's it's pointless that we all debate this, thus let's not debate it because it's pointless.

    Sorry, what? We're not to try debate thinks and talk about thing's because they're pointless? Shit, let's just all lie down and wait for death to come take us.

    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  7. #7
    no specific things, thanks -Q

    The games press won't talk about ethical corruption because that would mean they would have to change the way they work. That's all it is. It means they would have to question their ethical boundaries and redefine their lives and their work.

    THAT is why they won't talk about it.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 25-08-2014 at 03:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by (int) magicMissile View Post

    The games press won't talk about ethical corruption because that would mean they would have to change the way they work. That's all it is. It means they would have to question their ethical boundaries and redefine their lives and their work.

    THAT is why they won't talk about it.
    eh, no. they dont have to change the way they work at all. and thats not the reason.

    Its not a conspiracy where theyre just trying to stay in power for as long as possible, they honestly think its baseless, and for most part, it is.

    as baseless as anything can be, atleast.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    eh, no. they dont have to change the way they work at all. and thats not the reason.

    Its not a conspiracy where theyre just trying to stay in power for as long as possible, they honestly think its baseless, and for most part, it is.

    as baseless as anything can be, atleast.
    I cannot prove that it's not baseless because any evidence that I have that it's not baseless is dismissed as baseless. (And then it gets deleted or the thread gets glassed.)

    This is ridiculous circular logic from the people stating that we are using ridiculous logic.

    Think about what you're saying here. You're saying I can't prove something, I say I CAN prove it if you don't delete my evidence when I post it and then when I post the evidence you delete it and say I can't prove anything. :|

    I know it's not your fault, QC, but this is fucking ridiculous and surely you must be starting to see it now.

    EDIT: Also, why is this down here in Game Clubs instead of in PC Gaming?

  10. #10
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by (int) magicMissile View Post
    I cannot prove that it's not baseless because any evidence that I have that it's not baseless is dismissed as baseless. (And then it gets deleted or the thread gets glassed.)

    This is ridiculous circular logic from the people stating that we are using ridiculous logic.

    Think about what you're saying here. You're saying I can't prove something, I say I CAN prove it if you don't delete my evidence when I post it and then when I post the evidence you delete it and say I can't prove anything. :|

    I know it's not your fault, QC, but this is fucking ridiculous and surely you must be starting to see it now.
    No, I honestly think it is baseless. Not all of it, but most of it. It maybe suffers from inclusionary incest, but thats pretty much every press and industry type thing everywhere ever.

    Also, isnt kotaku hated by all anyway?
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So. He think's it's pointless that we all debate this, thus let's not debate it because it's pointless.
    Don't tell him about the screenshot or what you've been playing threads....

    Ludicrous article is ludicrous.

  12. #12
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by (int) magicMissile View Post
    EDIT: Also, why is this down here in Game Clubs instead of in PC Gaming?
    because I reign here.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    No, I honestly think it is baseless. Not all of it, but most of it. It maybe suffers from inclusionary incest, but thats pretty much every press and industry type thing everywhere ever.

    Also, isnt kotaku hated by all anyway?
    Why is this down here, instead of in the top forum?

    QC, I'll show you what evidence I have (even if you might dismiss it as baseless) in a PM if you will clear out a space in your inbox.

    Every press and industry might suffer from it, but from the looks of things gaming journalism suffers from it a LOT more. After seeing something specific (-Q.), I'm not certain I can trust ANYTHING that's put out by the gaming press any longer.

    Kotaku might be, but this has shook a lot of people's faith in almost all the major gaming sites.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 25-08-2014 at 04:03 PM.

  14. #14
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    gaming press isnt one blob. and Im not defending the rule to censor all; as I said, most of it is baseless, some of it is not. by blocking you gain nothing.

    However, this is the forum of a certain blog that goes by this rule.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    gaming press isnt one blob. and Im not defending the rule to censor all; as I said, most of it is baseless, some of it is not. by blocking you gain nothing.

    However, this is the forum of a certain blog that goes by this rule.
    What do you mean by blocking?

    Are you in the same sentence saying that because some of it is baseless and some of it is not, that you shouldn't lump it all together as having meaning? But at the same time it's ok to lump it all together as not having meaning? Because that's what this reads like.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  16. #16
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    No what my point is: allegations arent necessarily true.

    Some allegations surely are true.

    All gaming blags arent all gaming blags. Ie they dont all work together.

    I think the censorship is wrong.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  17. #17
    Network Hub Granath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    No, I honestly think it is baseless. Not all of it, but most of it. It maybe suffers from inclusionary incest, but thats pretty much every press and industry type thing everywhere ever.

    Also, isnt kotaku hated by all anyway?
    Some of it is likely baseless. Some is likely not. However, calling the thread baseless because someone decides to arbitrarily dismiss all evidence as baseless is disrespectful to the audience. It is up to the reader to decide what is and what is not truthful and/or probable.

    I think most of the collusion aspects are the sideshow to the main issue, which is:

    We all know that gaming has been misogynistic and continues to be. Most everyone will agree that this is a bad thing. Some in the media have rightfully recognized this fact and are working to try to get it corrected. This is a good thing. But in an effort to correct this inequity, they have created an atmosphere where someone could purposely craft a situation to their benefit to gather sympathy and the media's hypersensitivity to rectify gaming's misogynistic past could make that someone untouchable despite evidence to the contrary.

    In this case, there is good evidence to show a situation was artificially created and that a particular developer greatly profited from exploiting it. But because gaming misogyny continues to happen, some in the media seem to be afraid that if they recognize that someone did exploit this culture to their benefit, it will somehow derail the larger issue at hand. But by refusing to engage in a discussion that this may have happened, these same media personnel fail to realize that they set back any discussion on the wider issue at hand. So it's easier to sweep this under the rug and file it as "personal attacks" but that ultimately is unproductive.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    No what my point is: allegations arent necessarily true.

    Some allegations surely are true.

    All gaming blags arent all gaming blags. Ie they dont all work together.

    I think the censorship is wrong.
    Hence why they are allegations, QC. Because they are not proven yet.

    I have no doubt they don't all work together, but it is still ridiculous that something on this level of a blackout has happened across the board.

    At least we agree on that. I think everyone should have an equal say, but it seems like a good chunk of the major figures in the gaming press disagree.

  19. #19
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    507
    (int) : the corruption topic was one of the pretty easily identifiable bolded "skip this topic" ones. Go make another thread to be locked if you want to argue it, I don't see gaming press as being so corrupt either. Yeah, they will meet and know quite a few guys because they will surprisingly enough go into game and indie events to get gaming news and game devs make games => Their news. (please delete the 2nd and 3rd line of this post if they infringe, as they slightly do).

    I do think that the linked blog post isn't that great excuse though to fully silence discussion on it though so rest of this post will be about that.

    There are a lot of topics on these forums that i'm not interested in. I don't go into those threads, or if i visit one and find it boring i leave the topic.

    As long as people are decent enough (even if we would prefer everyone be excellent) i don't see harm in people talking of ghosts either. I don't go yell about His Noodly Appendage to possibly religious people nor would i ban their "oo, this is a spooky house with ghosts!" topics if there were such.

    Not to mention even if such worries are debunked, not everyone joined in on internet or forums that talk of anything at same time.

    Someone somewhere will hear about Monty Hall doors for first time today and will get it wrong by intuition ("NO, there's 2 doors so it's 50/50!"). That itself is an argument to not delete discussion even if it has been already "solved".

    If the arguments have been debunked or the topic is "unsolvable" (see: Religions), at least it spares the next time from debunking those again when next month another guy starts to doubt the integrity of gaming press and it moves straight to debunking new (possibly) bullshit and it contains that topic to 1 single place.

    If people start to doxing or outing other people or get too personal, those people should be banned or warned (and such posts deleted), if topic permanently goes off topic, then topic is locked. Sure if topic is started with such stuff it should be deleted. This is also now way too long post so i'll end it here, maybe i made some point or not.

  20. #20
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,488
    Quote Originally Posted by (int) magicMissile View Post
    I have no doubt they don't all work together, but it is still ridiculous that something on this level of a blackout has happened across the board.

    At least we agree on that. I think everyone should have an equal say, but it seems like a good chunk of the major figures in the gaming press disagree.
    it has happened because of people like you that like to spam explanations and timelines and all of that crap incessantly. if you have a point, make it ONCE and make it properly.

    Of course not you personally, but so far youve gone overboard, and the ones where that has happened previously, ie. in the past, went there 3 times more. So they use it as a validated excuse to block all communications.

    If both sides would just relax, we could actually have a normal conversation.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •