Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Competitive Zero Cert Lonewolf

I booted up PS2 again and clearly some patch fixed it for me and it runs like a dream. I quickly found myself jet packing about with a vanu Shotgun and ambushing would be generator hackers with vertical ambushes. This certifiably 'works' at zero certs. I hopped in a Lightning after finding the inability to shoot and scoot in the harasser frustrating and yes, the lightning is a tricky little thing, driving to the opposing base, getting into duels with other light armour 'hull down' in a crater, swerving dumbfire rockets and scampering up staircases, the Lighting can go toe to toe with a (I think ai/at) max and when push came to shove I could hop out and surprise people by jet packing a shotgun into their faces, hack a control panel and fly away before responders arrive.

This all 'works', what other loner strategies are viable?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

With no cert investment? Orion Heavy, I guess. The Orion is a great gun even without attachments.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    With no cert investment? Orion Heavy, I guess. The Orion is a great gun even without attachments.
    With literally no certs of any kind, Sniping/Infil is out, your Medic/Engy (although great at making certs) will not be "competitive", your LA can do OK but has no Jumpjet upgrades, and your MAX is "OK" but could use a second AI arm. Orion Heavy is the closest the base classes come to their BR100 equivalents.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Orion is a great gun. The default medic rifle (the Polaris?) is actually pretty great as well, if you fancy a more cautious approach then hiding behind meat-but-mostly-nanites bags and occasionally ressing them might be an option.

To be honest, with absolutely 0 certs LA shotty is probably still the winner. Shotgun means you just have to get the drop on someone and the rank 1 jump pack gives you a slight edge in approaching undetected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    To be honest, with absolutely 0 certs LA shotty is probably still the winner. Shotgun means you just have to get the drop on someone and the rank 1 jump pack gives you a slight edge in approaching undetected.
    This is what I'm finding, I just need to keep away from the meat grinders where I flail ineffectively.

Been toying with the magrider which is nice in that I get a passenger to taxi about, annoying when you find a guy hoofing across the hills while you are in a lightning that you cant give him a lift, I also like the arc to the cannon fire which let you clip people in cover more easily.

I can clearly tell other peoples shotguns are just better, especially the NC one, I shoot twice square on him, he shoots once I die, and on the stat screen it suggests his health is fine despite his shields being depleted (Heavy Assault I think). So... Yeah.. Tanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    The basic shotguns are all copies of each other. The only difference is the special NC heavy assault weapon called the Jackhamer. The Jackhammer is a longer range, burst fire shotgun.
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I can clearly tell other peoples shotguns are just better, especially the NC one, I shoot twice square on him, he shoots once I die, and on the stat screen it suggests his health is fine despite his shields being depleted (Heavy Assault I think). So... Yeah.. Tanks.
    This sounds more like lag. You can duck behind cover and then die, due to lag/the difference between what you and the enemy are seeing. It sounds like on the enemy's screen they shotgunned you before you returned fire.

You can even pop around a corner and kill someone before actually appearing on their screen. So always moving forwards, constantly popping in and out of cover and always being the one to enter the room/initiate can help maximise this advantage.

In depth video about lag in PS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fUok2AoaU

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    The basic shotguns are all copies of each other. The only difference is the special NC heavy assault weapon called the Jackhamer. The Jackhammer is a longer range, burst fire shotgun.
    Well, depends if he's talking about the pumps or semi-autos. I would imagine that's the difference.

Yeah going LA against HA can bee summarized with "I got a shield, fool."

So yeah, 2nd shield will stop your damage reaching their HP, which you don't have :P

Az for 0 certz, I actually do recommend sniping; It'z safe, lone wolf iz their style, and you can make decisive shotz by taking out medicz (and the onez that try to rez, too!)

Your dartz are also really, really helpful for zerg. Often, zerg are scared by the incoming fire and tend to hunker down in spawn or a building, but with dartz, you can prove an area in front iz clear and safe to move up to, giving them the confidence to move up. It'z great

Default scythez aren't too bad either. The default cannon iz great for 'sniping' enemy air, and lightningz fall in 1 or 2 clipz.
    The damage iz impossible for enemy vehiclez to ignore ^^

Solo Experience; 600-ish hourz with maybee 1 other friend to help.
    Pretty much all 3 of theze are NSFW sometimez. Also very political. Also I'm a prideful, boasting bee about a lot of stuff.

Twitter; https://twitter.com/Succubee94
    Steam; http://steamcommunity.com/id/SophiaButler/
    Tumblr; http://sophia-butler.tumblr.com/

Problem with sniping is that the default gun (VA39 Spectre) is rarely useful (No OHK), you need to get at least the XM98 (100 certs)

A LA can be really useful and fun to play if you spend some certs for the jetpacks, it really pays off.
    Last edited by Qw33r; 30-09-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Planetside 2: Qw33r / Qw33rT;
    Steam: Qw33r

Just putting this here while I think about how to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Just putting this here while I think about how to improve it.
    ooh yay, more icon editz :3
    Pretty much all 3 of theze are NSFW sometimez. Also very political. Also I'm a prideful, boasting bee about a lot of stuff.

Twitter; https://twitter.com/Succubee94
    Steam; http://steamcommunity.com/id/SophiaButler/
    Tumblr; http://sophia-butler.tumblr.com/

Network Hub
    Zero cert scythe is totally viable. The Saron has a large amount of ammo by default, and the afterburner tanks need no certs to get you out of (and into) trouble.

It might be a bit frustrating to play in practice though, as no stealth and no mid-air repair raises the skill ceiling somewhat.

Network Hub
    I'd say first level fire suppression and/or auto repair is a must for an ESF and airframes also mean a lot in dogfights.

Uncerted afterburner is not enough to outrun others that have upgraded frames, they catch up eventually. I'm saying this from experience of playing a barely certed Reaver lately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I actually find that the VS MAX is perfectly fine with no cert investment. Of course this is coming from the perspective of someone who exclusively plays NC outside of CCEU training, but I got more kills in my first life with a VS MAX than I did in probably my first 3 months with an NC MAX, just because they can hit things further away than their nose. Plus the lack of the drop from the comet coupled with the rapid fire of the... whatever the not comet one is, made me feel a bit like a Ythotha.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    Zero cert scythe is totally viable. The Saron has a large amount of ammo by default, and the afterburner tanks need no certs to get you out of (and into) trouble.

It might be a bit frustrating to play in practice though, as no stealth and no mid-air repair raises the skill ceiling somewhat.
    Eh, the first rank of after burner pods doesn't make much difference at all, it's only a 15% boost to regeneration which sucks. Thankfully it's super cheap to upgrade them to max (190 certs) where they replenish 70% faster and have 80% additional capacity. You also may want to get the light PPA nosegun, it sucks against air but it does generate angry tells from the infantry you kill with it. (It's super powerful against infantry.)

Uncerted magriders are useless, you'll need magburner at the very least to stay competitive. (and you can do super cool stunts like this: http://www.gfycat.com/MenacingAbleHawk)
    After that you'll need the halberd secondary gun if you want your gunner to murderise tanks or the PPA if you want your gunner to murderise infantry and make every 3rd person he kills make a rage post about the PPA being OP on the PS2 forums, the steam forums and the subreddit.
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"I’m just giving of my body on the stage and putting my life at risk, literally. And I think about it. I think about my family and I’m like, wow, this is like being a police officer or something, in war or something." Kanye West