Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm gonna get the homing AA missiles for heavy ASAP I think, the flak cannons look impressive when you spray the air as a squad but they don't do much, and you're right our 40 tanks were running scared from about 10 Terran aircraft.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Obscure Node
    Hi guys, another RPS reader here ready to defend our freedoms as NC! My in-game name is "Reitzig", wouldn't mind an invite if possible.

Easily some of the most awesome gaming I've experienced tonight. The races were something to behold. Tomorrow I shall obtain microphone.

Sedate Saturday was pretty awesome, thanks for the wacky races and vehicle piling, amazingly fun.

I've got round to sorting out my sunderer loadout, I can now deploy it. I will be a glorified shield no more!
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I'm gonna get the homing AA missiles for heavy ASAP I think, the flak cannons look impressive when you spray the air as a squad but they don't do much, and you're right our 40 tanks were running scared from about 10 Terran aircraft.

Been playing with the AA launcher this weekend, not with a great deal of luck I have to admit. It does seem to be reasonably trivial for a half decent pilot to evade the missile in all but the slowest of aircraft. When I do make a connection it rarely brings the craft straight out of the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapt View Post
    Been playing with the AA launcher this weekend, not with a great deal of luck I have to admit. It does seem to be reasonably trivial for a half decent pilot to evade the missile in all but the slowest of aircraft. When I do make a connection it rarely brings the craft straight out of the sky.
    Yeh 1 AA missile will take a mosquito/scythe to half health, and if they have countermeasures will not hit at all, though it does have a 40s cooldown. You really need a group of people with AA to achieve anything.
    so much for pathos

Network Hub
    I've been testing the infantry AA out (the Crow?) also- managed to 'get tone' and hit quite a few scythes but you're looking at maybe 1/3 damage on a hit so you'd need a whole squad packing them to be much of a threat. I'd hoped they would balance out the power of a single pilot after the reaper madness of PS1 but it isn't there yet. Are the AA MAXs any better?

Otherwise it's been loads of fun running with RTRS recently, and the game looks fantastic.

I have to admit, when flying a fighter myself i already feel extremely vulnerable. I think the scary and surviving fighters are those who are pretty good at it. And killing someone in a fighter who also is pretty good at it should indeed not be a trivial task for a single infanteryman with a AA launcher. That would empty the skies pretty fast. Afterall an AA launcher is quite cheap. At least compared to a fighter with guns and modules.

Yea this is a game with 2000 people per fight. The last thing you want is 1 man taking out a vehicle.

On the other hand, I feel vehicles are too cheap and frequent atm.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Long time reader looking to fight for your just cause. In game name is Lone1Gunman please invite me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Yea this is a game with 2000 people per fight. The last thing you want is 1 man taking out a vehicle.

I felt that at first too, but I've got used to simply avoiding them, and/or exploiting their blind spots (had a very brief try of a couple of vehicles to cut down on long journeys, and boy do they have blind spots) as a heavy dude. You really can't reliably beat them as infantry though, unless you have backup from some heavies.

I suspect aircraft completely dominate tanks because they're generally ineffective against infantry, so tanks eat infantry and aircraft beat tanks, leaving the infantry easily able to evade aircraft in most circumstances.

They have blind spots in first person yea, but as I found out last night hitting T completely sidesteps that issue.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

I feel the vehicle prices are right, but the rate of resources is just a bit too high. I mean, I am usually stopped by cooldown on vehicles, rarely by cost. The rate of resources could stand to be reduced by 10 or 15 percent.

Anyone got some pics or videos of the tank tetris from last Friday?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lagga View Post
    Yeh 1 AA missile will take a mosquito/scythe to half health, and if they have countermeasures will not hit at all, though it does have a 40s cooldown. You really need a group of people with AA to achieve anything.
    In most cases its only 1/3 of health. Also fighter pilots (in addition to flares) can simply outrun/dodge the rockets.
    The only good AA currently is double burster Max. Even AA turrets get killed by a rocket pod ESF flying straight at them. The skyguard's range is currently too limited to be effective and with HA AA you need at least 3+ people to get a kill, and even then it's not guaranteed as the pilot can outrun the rockets or simply use flairs (and will most likely rocket-pod the shit out of you after he has used his flares)

With more fighter pilots certing into flares, rocket pods and flak armor, AA will only get worse with time. If you currently want to be an effective air counter the only way to go is air2air. Ground2Air doesn't cut it against certed ESFs. The only one being decent, as said, is the double burster Max.

Maybe you get a kill against unexperienced or uncerted pilots, but against a good pilots or a swarm of them you don't stand a chance unless you outnumber them. But as most AA is almost useless against everyhing else (and rocket pods are good against almost everything) this will not happen.
    Last edited by bonkers; 26-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    In most cases its only 1/3 of health. Also fighter pilots (in addition to flares) can simply outrun/dodge the rockets.
    Pretty certain every time I've been hit with a lock-on missiles in my Reaver its taken me to half hp, and when I had a Hawk in the beta it took 2 shots to take down mosquito's and scythes :/
    so much for pathos

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    In beta it only took two shots. Now in most cases it takes three, two will only get the ESF burning (except "perfect" shots against uncerted ESFs) and in many cases gives the pilot enough time to get away and repair (if engineer). You can almost instantly kill the ESF with two shots (it then still has health but will burn down within a few seconds) but for that you need to hit at the right angle, which is pretty hard to do with lock-on weapons.

This is from Sedate Saturday. I still have the sunderer and lightning and flash races footage, but wanted to upload some of the vehicle physics experimentation. Should've tried loads of vanguards, where was our ambition?

In tears.

10charrssss