Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    If you need to aid your memory while story telling, here are the orbats of tonight's missions:

http://pastebin.com/73yB2wuM

Obscure Node
    Poctalon went well, as part of B1 we had overwatch at the south of the line, but didn't actually see anyone. At all. Ever. Then the mission was completed and we bugged out via chop lift where we excitingly hit a pole as we were taking off but managed to limp back to base. Yay us! Tea and medals all round.

Cratesistance didn't go so well. I was in Alpha at the Bravo Cache, and pretty much the first group to come into contact. I shot someone (who was obviously healed up as I had no kills) but then i was blown up by a grenade. Thankfully I wasn't the first to die as there was already two people in valhalla... But no it turns out they were latecomers and I was the first to die.

Into The Sea was fun, but again I died pretty early on, bleeding out while awaiting a medic, at least I managed to get the rusky that shot me so um yay? I did get to see Dogface running over bodge tho that was a laugh, at the time I was laughing at how the tank must be so low on ammo now that they were chasing the ai around and running them over.. and then jumping out and examining the dead ai closely? What? - But then Bodge arrived in Valhalla and set us straight - oh how we laughed.

River Dispute was excellent, it went a bit mad tho as Ghandi's plan was "CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE" and that didn't go so well, across open ground, at fixed enemy emplacements with HMG, HATs MATs Tanks, Planes, WMDs, WH40k Space Marines in Terminator Armour and god know what else. At least we made it across the river before we were blown up - so HA! IN YOUR FACE OPFOR!

Obscure Node
    Poctalon
    Grounded team leader. I had serious difficulty understanding harraka in this mission, and some of my teammembers didn't really hear me either. This would have been a recipe for disaster but I don't think any enemies spawned (luckily).

Cratesistance
    BLUFOR DC. I led C, D, and E to cache B. My intent was to first recon the cache from the east an then attack from 2 directions, East and North. We got our asses whooped and lost half of our men, from 10 down to 5. As Dogface's teams were reinforcing us on the west, I decided to run back East and flank the town of kamenka from the south. It took a while to get my guys going, and unfortunately by the time we flanked the town all the enemies were dead. After that we went to C cache, lost 2 more men in the long range gun battle. I didn't think we were doing anything useful, we were being suppressed to shit over there, so I left the positon and wanted to flank cache C from the North. Repositioning to the North didn't help much, so decided I had enough of losing men and charged up to the cache and killed a group of injured rebels who were hiding behind a rock.

Into the sea
    MG. First to die.

River Dispute
    REDFOR B2. I put 2 AI in dushka's and 1 in a spg-9 which obliterated the enemy's charge downhill :)
    10 minutes later I spotted an American on our side of the dam hiding behind some sandbags shooting at my AI in a bunker, so I flanked him from the rear and dealt with him. Not long thereafter I spotted 4 men on the other side of the damn trying to make their way towards me. I decided to wait with opening fire until they were in knee deep water which was a good choice since I got them all :P

Obscure Node
    Poctalon: A-1(?) FTL, easy-peasy if a little unnerving, nuff said!

Crateresistance: BLUFOR COM. The caches were positioned quite conveniently in a curve along the coast, so I split the team into two sections with Mike in charge of the southern group (C+D) and myself leading A+B. My guys had the easier time of it meeting only a few AI at the northern cache, while Mike handled the actual danger until we could flank South to support them, clear the woods north of Kamenka and then the town itself. OPFOR presented stiff resistance all the while, keeping the medics very busy, until a glorious last stand with their backs to the sea, still depleting our numbers until we'd taken out the last of them. A nice victory thanks to excellent co-ordination from the whole team.

Into the Sea: Tank-driver. A methodical and successful sweep through Berezino and the harbour to clear out numerous enemies. We supported Alpha squad as they handled the South side of the AO, managing to avoid any serious threat from the enemy with gunner Ebass successfully taking out several enemy vehicles from long range, and wiping out several groups of infantry. We stuck close to the troops at first, before breaking off to move up the coast and support Alpha and Bravo's advance into the last section of town.

At this stage we were out of ammo for the main gun, so moved in closer to sweep from street to street with Ebass moving into the commander's seat to man the MG. Finding several straggler AI littered throughout the compounds and factories, we were aware that friendlies were also moving towards us... but apparently not aware enough! Seeing a lone figure standing still in the middle of a courtyard we moved in for the kill. With Ebass unable to see over the wall, I rammed us through it and foolishly decided to simply carry on the momentum and run him over rather than double-check the target... only to see with horror the distinctly light-tan, rather than olive-drab hue of the uniform that flew limply into the air ahead of us. Much contrition and a bollocking from Iceraiser followed as we realised I'd just turned Bodge into a red smear on the tarmac. Certainly a lesson not to get sloppy near the end of an operation! And apologies again to Bodge and his section. Fortunately the mission ended within a minute or two with all strongholds cleared.

River Dispute: Simple enough - we all charged along one side of the river, and the enemies shot at us from the other side. Our HMMV was full of holes by the time we found some cover to stop it in, spraying down the opposite bank with MG fire before attempting to wade through the north side of the river, between the bridge and the minefield, and being handily cut down by Opfor. Daf, one of our fireteam, was the last team-mate alive and wounded, crawling gloriously towards the enemy with a knife in his teeth, but sadly not managing to singlehandedly kill them all.

Network Hub

[AAR] 14/Sep/12 ACerliousz

Well todays session had a total player count 11.

Thank you everyone for coming

We played.
    BafAttack(by me)(we all died horribly)
    Hearts(by me)´(We All died horribly)

Also, sorry for the shitty hosting.

Also seems we need a tad of comms drilling ;) or just a few friendly reminders.

Also WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIALS.

[AAR] I44 15/09/12 - Für die Fatherland

Another successful session of I44 was concluded and this one was an all German session.
    We played:
    We be Waffen
    Valkyrie
    Screen
    Achtung Panzer!

Thanks to those who came, there was a great group photo, but it got ''lost'' in the transition.
    Post everything here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    It actually is "Für das Vaterland" ;).

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It actually is "Für das Vaterland" ;).
    I was not satisfied with google translate, so I just made my own version :D

[AAR] Folk [Sun] 16 Sep 2012 (Joint session: Tier 1)

Cross-posting from the official AAR thread (please post there):

Quote Originally Posted by fer
    Missions:
    • Wideola SE
    • Vanguard
    • Cholo
    • Cholo (again!)

Comrades, I did warn you that it would be better to hide behind the far more organised (and generally badass) crowd from Tier 1.

:colbert:

Huge thanks to everyone who came along, and especially to our guests from Tier 1. The player-count topped-out at 66, which enabled us to play two absolutely epic missions: Wideola SE and the new, even harder, Vanguard, before the after-party that is Cholo. Multiple-Cholo, that is. BTW, you didn't think the comrade mission maker responsible for Vanguard would sit idly by after it was completed some weeks ago, did you? Oh, you did? How sweet!

For those of you who spent much of the night watching from beyond the grave, as I did, thank you for showing such patience and good sportsmanship. It sucks to die early in a large player-count coop, but that's the gamble we all take with such missions - and this kind of event is not an every-week occurrence. That, 3 hours into the session, the number of spectators was well into the high 30s is a really nice comment on our crowd and Tier 1. On behalf of all hosts, I thank everyone who came along tonight.

As ever, please post your thoughts, feedback, screenshots and video here (PM me for details of Folk YouTube channel). Your AAR contributions help us in so many ways. Especially if they help us explain the concept of PCP-crazed gang-bangers to the new people.

:coolbert:

Network Hub

[AAR] TT 18/09/2012 - Lets not mention the pre-match banter.

A lower than average turnout did nothing to reduce the amount of death that was had, thanks to everyone that turned up and contributed, a welcome to our new admin Strang and any new guys that popped along. Tonight we played;

Convoipolli
    Compound it
    Foxhound
    Lion

A botched ambush, a stoic cache defense, a victorious manhunt and a puppeteered shooting match set the stage for tonights shenanigans.

Kale is testing a new mission as I type so please put your thoughts on that as well.

Activated Node
    I had a fantastic time and greatly enjoyed the two missions I managed to get in. I will definitely be back next week should scheduling permit. :)

Network Hub
    Unfortunately I arrived late, but entered in the middle of the Convoipolli chaos. All I could make out was that MAT was to blame for all the ills in the world.

Compound it; was surprisingly uneventful considering the lack of Caches and their close proximity. Bravo worked together to clear out a compound where an unlucky BLUFOR squad themselves trapped.

Foxhound consisted of my grand, over-hyped IED bomb that failed to get a single kill, a dose of bad luck for SuperU and Toppometer and two whole enemy squads running past me leaving me telling my squadmates where their impending death was approaching from. The game ended with Guerfor getting just two of the six kills and me showing incredible positional awareness when getting myself killed.

Lion exposed my horrific leadership skills and A2 was wiped out by a squad positioned on the path A3 had already trodden. I was extremely confused.

The test mission was a great premise (especially the fact the policemen cannot easily communicate with blufor) but unfortunately as soon as the police count dipped below three the mission ended (also the total amount of policemen), and a policemen was early on caught out in a technical's headlights and gunned down, and a BLUFOR helo was downed.

Foxhound has to be one of the most enjoyable missions to play from an independent point of view.

Obscure Node
    It was a fun night indeed, adversarials are always fun ;)

Convoipolloi. I inherited the lead, but by then we were already so screwed after a failed ambush I decided to sprint towards an alive BTR.

Compound it. Spend the entire mission on a hill with binos overlooking the entire valley to spot enemy strength and postions. Witnessed a daring assault by harraka on a building full of enemies (shame I didn't fraps that). The most action I had during this mission was from dodging friendly bullets :P

Foxhound. It was nice to see my mission being played in prime time :) Everybody showed great skill. Fer by winning the mission, Tigershark for parking his helo in a hanger so well he wasn't able to get it out again, and a certain rebel RPG gunner who blew himself up.

Lion. My dog wanted to go for a walk, so I missed this one unfortunately
    Last edited by mike; 19-09-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Foxhound

DC (effective CO): Fer
    |
    |- ASL: Washington
    |- BSL: Bodge

We had to re-start this mission because one of the helicopter pilots hovered backwards, into the hanger. Fortunately for comrade Tigershark, the Party has chosen not to name the pilot in question. Oh wait, did I--

Anyway, it was the night for failings. If you are the commander, as I was, always always always check you aren't placing markers in global. Failing that, adopt a Soviet approach to mistakes: pretend they have not happened, and do not change your plan!

Fortunately for me, the mission lent itself to very Soviets-in-Afghanistan tactics, which are blunt enough to survive an information leak (even if that meant some my own men wouldn't). Using what I'd read in The Bear Went Over The Mountain, I opted to run a straightforward supported sweep of the green zone in which the insurgents were hiding.

Alpha, reinforced by 6-man Charlie, would start at the south-west end of the green zone and sweep through in a line. Bravo would move in parallel on the northern ridge, acting as a constantly shifting base-of-fire. The helicopter crews, though not originally part of my plan, would eventually man a single Mi-8 that acted as a rudimentary scouting / CAS element. That was it: a methodical march north-east through the AO, based on the concept that the sweeping squad, Alpha/Charlie, would always have some form of fire support from Bravo.

And that's pretty much how it went. We lost 2 men from the platoon, but we killed all 6 of the insurgents. Comrade Washington did a great job of moving his enlarged squad through the tricky terrain of the green zone, whilst comrade Bodge carefully moved Bravo around on the high ground, either providing direct fire support or vectoring-in comrade Tigershark's helo (with new comrade Langlet on guns). When comrade Bodge was killed, near the end, comrade Mike ably took over. Half of Bravo had, by this point, been sent north to act as a small blocking force (in lieu of a bronegruppa), but with time running out I asked Mike to bring them back and - hopefully - smash the surviving insurgents between our two squads.

Really great performances from the SLs, and also from comrades Tigershark and Langlet in the flying cow-with-machine-guns. All of OPFOR seemed to get their jobs done pretty smoothly (making it very easy to command). Kudos also to the mission maker engineer, comrade Mike!

Activated Node
    You stand corrected here, Fer. Had i not got myself blown up by some diabolic itchy finger machination, you'd have been in the shit, your troops being massively clustered in the first times of your sweep mostly the Alpha squad, as Bravo was getting suppressed by a PKM on the west side). Plus you only killed four and a half of us, some treacherous stairs having already stabbed comrade Toppo in the back. Or was it Egg.
    Not talking about that hilarious moment where your whole force passed by comrade Soup, one enemy walking less than 3 meters away from him (neither of them did realize it though).

Convoipolloi (B2 lead) had me survive the whole mission as well as Kale (AR) and Zitron (AT) who did a great job at destroying BTR-60s. My only concern there was to draw fire to give him room to take the shots, and to check every fifteen seconds where the hell Kale was.

Compound it (B1 AAR) saw me survive too, even after we soon lost our beloved FTL Bodge. Few contacts were had, and my only kill was a long range shot. Then i tried to shoot Mike, luckily failed pitifully and the mission ended. (note that as a grunt, i was never told that you were up here, Mike. I got that from one of your last sentences before the end of the mission, as the fire you were taking strangely coincided with the rounds i was laying down.)

Lion was fun. I was Meatshield Puppetmasta. Well, my puppets were the meatshield. Hid 8 of them behind various rocks, walls and houses, facing south, while the enemy was coming from the north. Set them to stealth and hold fire, and had them open fire only after the enemy had passed their positions and were engaged by Batman's squad on the front and Frou's on the flank. That 8-wheels mounted Stranglove did butchered them in the end, while dodging scores of rockets (so much that i finally wondered if it wasn't the other way around).
    Had my medic wander in the mountains to the west in case i had to respawn, and set myself in a nice vantage point on top of the mosque's minaret, from where i could easily move my puppets around and give them targets. Then waited for Strang to assault the city Rambo-style with his PKM in the hand, and slaughtered him shamefully.

Police rescue sounded like fun. I was Blufor command. Having reports of IEDs on the road, i decided we'd go airborne, having Toppo pilot, 3 men as a search team, and the chopper as Air support / Medevac. The BlackHawk is resistant and fast, and i thought that with the fog and the darkness, it was the best plan.
    Wrong. There was missiles where i expected AA guns and we got gunned down almost immediately after taking off. The chopper exploded the second i got out, and all of BLUFOR but Tink died (and he was supposed to be the one staying in the chopper!)
    feedback about that one: I don't know about the other factions, but as it is now, it seems impossible for Blufor.
    The fog + nighttime makes it impossible to locate the cops from the air. Reports of IEDs prevent you from taking the Humvees, as you wouldn't see shit on the road (took us a few seconds to actually find the humvees and the chopper on the base, even with NVGs). Plus the fact that OPFOR and Independants were in contact a few seconds after we were gunned down (we weren't even in Zargabad yet) shows that BLUFOR really needs to haul ass.
    You're then stuck with the chopper, but those have no missile detection systems, so you get hit outta nowhere in a Stevie Wonder environment.
    Suggestions :
    - remove the missiles as choppers don't stand a chance against them in arma if you don't use GLT_Missilebox and or Mando Missiles. Actually in a flat area as Zargabad, static Dshks are a sufficient antiair capability against choppers. Or remove the chopper.
    - Reevaluate if IEDs really are necessary (the test was rather short, so i have no idea as to how many there are), so that BLUFOR can concentrate on searching for the cops.
    - maybe reduce a bit the conditions (medium fog, evening?) so that the chopper acually needs to fly low but still can spot things on the ground.

Network Hub
    @Black Mamba

Regarding Police Rescue V2, thank you for your feedback and I have replied to it in a separate thread for that particular mission.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stayed around for 2 missions and was great fun.

Convoipolli was a bit uneventful for our team most of the time until the BTRs decided to attack head on. Managed to get a hit on one of them. I was then wounded by another that we thought was incapacitated only to be healed partly by Tigershark. We then proceeded to attempt to take out that BTR with grenades but something went wrong... Very wrong.

Compound it re-affirmed to me how an adversarial should be played: by taking initiative and moving around. We got pinned down by a group to our west, survived the potshots and the chopper strafes. I then decided that since we were lost anyway, I should try and flank some enemies holed up in a compound. After a bit of crawling around which brought back Dayz memories, I reached the compound alive. I went up a ladder and on a roof, shot a couple of them and was waiting to get a clean shot on the other. I hesitated a couple of times and in the end they figured out I was above them. In retrospect, I should have come down and tried one of the compound entrances. Also, I m not sure if VON gave me away as well, since I was constantly talking to daf who was providing some cover from the east (thanks!).

One last observation: we should really find a way to keep talk on Mumble to a minimum during missions, as many times I cannot hear instructions on VON over Mumble. Maybe we split up into groups with only leaders-commander on CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
    You stand corrected here, Fer. Had i not got myself blown up by some diabolic itchy finger machination, you'd have been in the shit, your troops being massively clustered in the first times of your sweep mostly the Alpha squad, as Bravo was getting suppressed by a PKM on the west side). Plus you only killed four and a half of us, some treacherous stairs having already stabbed comrade Toppo in the back. Or was it Egg. Not talking about that hilarious moment where your whole force passed by comrade Soup, one enemy walking less than 3 meters away from him (neither of them did realize it though).
    Comrade, if triggers and stairs choose to place themselves in the service of the Party, and strike a blow against you and your fellow counter-revolutionaries, then I see nothing wrong! You're right about Bravo getting suppressed by the PKM, but you miss out the part where our helo orbited the unfortunate's position, counter-pinning him (until he was shot). We can, of course, always get better at the clustering issue. I did come across one grouping from Alpha that was over-manning a compound later in the mission, but given the clustering of structures in the green zone, it's easy to see why people will gravitate towards the same spots. Did Soup manage to exploit his advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
    Batman's squad on the front and Frou's on the flank.
    You mean, of course, Kefirz and Fer. Oh shi-- I wasn't supposed to reveal Bruce Wayne's identity.

Activated Node
    Actually Bodge's squad did pretty well when coming under fire from (SuperÜ's?) PKM. They only got delayed a bit and didn't take any casulaties (one wounded guy, quickly fixed up behind a ridge). Had Super waited a bit more before engaging though, and it might have been a massacre, due to the lack of cover between that ridge and the machinegun's firing position.
    In the end it was more the fact that he had spent his entire ammo supply shooting at the ridge than the fact that the chopper tried to suppress him that forced him to pull back and go rearm to the wrecks.

And no, Soup did not get a single kill even though he was in your back most of the time (he had a Lee Enfield and apparently didn't feel confident to open fire in situations where i would most definitely have. The Ol'rusty rifle would have then backfired and i would have died anyway).

All this is easier said than done, though, and i was extremely disappointed by the way i died really early, as i was in an ideal position to deal some damage to the Alpha squad.

A really fun session, I usually don't enjoy adversarial that much but the three matches we had were really varied and exciting, good work mission makers.

Convoipolli

Bravo Medic under SL Toppo

I set up in a building halfway between B1 and B2 and waited and waited and eventually got fed up of waiting and ran up the hill to Bravo 1's position. Then they all died and so did the CO, with no one on the hill left to practice my questionable medical skills on I decided to regroup with B2 who were advancing using smoke. By the time I caught up with them they were also mostly dead. So I joined the remaider of Alpha and charged down the road.

Compound it

Opfor Bravo SL

I had Tigershark leading B1 and Egg leading B2. I kept B1 on the ridge expecting some enemy to be there and sent B2 towards the cache. Up on the ridge B1 came under fire and under the advice of Tiger I sent them back to try and sweep round and into the valley. This worked out really well and B1 were able to flank and suppress the cache. I was hearing things weren't going to too well for alpha up north and in my rush to blow my cache and get up to help them I ran into a fairly obvious trap. B1 avaenged me and blew the cache but at that point they were the only ones left and soon got swarmed upon.

Foxhound

Opfor Alpha 1 AR

Didn't see any enemy but did manage to run off lots of pies.

Lion

Opfor CO

After listening to The Trooper by Iron Maiden too much I decided to pop my commanding cherry by recreating the charge of the light brigade, sending my men into a valley against overwhelming odds. I think we did surprisingly well here I'm pretty sure we ended up killing 3 for every 1 we lost (and you better believe we lost everyone). Special thanks for Washington as the ASL for his patience and to the IFV team for doing a really good job. It's not often in an arps session where our armour is the last thing standing.

Police Rescue V2

BluFor Medic

I was supposed to take the roll of chopper gunner/medevac but with the night and the fog I couldn't see anything. Eventually I got a glimpse of something, unfortunately that something was a missle. I bailed but the rest of blufor were not so lucky. I landed in the AO and found cover. I heard gunfire really close and started making my way towards it but it turned out to be the police we were meant to be saving getting exectued.