Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Rock, Paper, Salty Let's Beat the Snot Out of Each Other, Together!

horaceRPSalty.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSalty

Now, I may not know much about fighting games, but I do know that playing one by yourself is about as much fun as Gish. Given King of Fighters XIII's recent inclusion in a bundle (Act now! Quantities aren't limited!), the long-awaited release of Ultra Street Fighter IV, and all the recent discussion about the genre, I was surprised that we didn't have a group already. So I went ahead and made one! Hopefully there's enough interest that we can start holding tournaments, but my acumen is lapsed enough that I'd feel more comfortable with informal sparring matches anyway for the time being.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I'll check back when Tekken 7 is released. KOF looks too fireball and combo based from the trailers.

EDIT: mind you, I approve of this!
    Last edited by Prolar Bear; 22-08-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Network Hub
    I plan on purchasing the bundle but have never played a fighting game for more than 10 minutes so that should be interesting.

I have Ultra Street Fighter IV, Injustice and Mortal Kombat all of which I have never played against anyone online in. Mostly because I am dreadful at fighting games but enjoy them nonetheless :)

In fact I didn't realize I had Ultra SFIV, just checked Steam since I knew I had SF IV and it seems to have updated whatever one it was that I had to the new Ultra one, always good news!

I'd be very up for some of the fighting. I have USF4, KoF and skullgirls, and I'm terrible at all of them.

Activated Node
    I like fighting games, but can't be bothered to devote the time needed to be any good at 'em. I got King of Fighters in that recent bundle, I'll join the group.

I've been thinking about organizing some informal training sessions soon. Nobody I've played with could claim to be an expert, nor could I, but I can at least teach the basic terminology and theory. The nitty-gritty of combo memorization and execution will, of course, depend on your own dedication, but I think we should be able to all get to a level where we can compete in a low-stakes tournament.

If you own Skullgirls, I highly recommend playing through the tutorial as it is excellent and certainly does a better job than I could. The lessons learned will, I think, serve you well in any fighting game.

Also of note: Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is now on Steam! I have no idea why they didn't opt for the more recent Accent Core Plus R, but I have fond memories of renting this (and getting my ass handed to me) on the PS2 a decade ago.

Activated Node
    Bought Ultra the other day, have been alternating between glee and salty frustration ever since. If anyone wants a game you can find me in the steam group, my name is the same there as here. I mainly play a scrubby Abel and Gouken, but I'm looking to learn Cody, Fei and Guy.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to move to using my PC for fighting games soon... what stick do you guys use? Which would you recommend?

I have the MadCatz SF4 Stick for the PS3 (Stick.jpg) but it didn't work on the PC without buying extra stuff, I was in the middle of fitting that stuff when the stick broke

PC Fighting sticks seem so hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to move to using my PC for fighting games soon... what stick do you guys use? Which would you recommend?

I have the MadCatz SF4 Stick for the PS3 (Stick.jpg) but it didn't work on the PC without buying extra stuff, I was in the middle of fitting that stuff when the stick broke

PC Fighting sticks seem so hard to come by.
    If the parts broke and you still have it, you can swap out the buttons and joystick for authentic arcade parts instead of the cheap Madcatz clones they used. I imported my replacement parts from Akihabara Shop, which many will swear by. Go for Sanwa or Seimitsu; the differences are minute, I think one button is quieter than the other. I'll probably order the opposite when I get around to building a stick just to see which I prefer. I did see that Amazon also sells some Sanwa parts, so perhaps that's another place to look.

In other news: Tekken 7 is almost confirmed to be on PC.

Also, if DoA wasn't so fixated on boobs I'd give it a spin, it looks like a solid enough game.
    Do you enjoy failing to race cars wot go fast? Then join us at the Racing Subforum!

I picked up Ultra Street Fighter, King of Fighters '98 and Guilty Gear during the sale. I'm avidly looking for people to play King of Fighters XIII with, so add me if you have it and I'll drop you a line from time to time. I've been noticing a drastic improvement in the accuracy of my inputs since I've been practicing daily or every other day, but I tried to use matchmaking to find some games (knowing full well I would probably lose them, even) and couldn't find a single one.
    Last edited by sabrage; 29-12-2014 at 06:19 AM.

I'm more of a 3D fighter kind of person. 2D fighters somehow don't click with me, they seem...not fluid, for lack of a better word.
    Do you enjoy failing to race cars wot go fast? Then join us at the Racing Subforum!

Most 3D fighters are just 2D fighters with a side-step, I could play Fatal Fury if I wanted that. I do like Blade Symphony, and in theory am not opposed to something like Naruto: Ninja Blazedown or whatever.

I wouldn't lump them all in the same category. For some reason, Tekken feels WAY more responsive and natural than other 2D fighters to me, it's not only about sidesteps. I can't explain it, actually, perhaps it's about the animations.

Hey, I really like Blade Symphony. Do poke me on steam if you're up for a match.

Obscure Node
    Hi! I'm new to the forums, but like dabbling in fighting games a lot. I've got KoF XIII & 2002 on Steam (I've been playing a lot of 2002 lately, it's so good!), Blade Symphony (I am newb, but I like what I've played) and Skullgirls (I haven't played since before Big Band? And was hideous at then) and Lethal League (not really played much of). Soo I would be up for playing with people.