Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

The RPS Social Club, London

Helloooo everyone!
    You have not been forgotten! I just had to go to Norway to work this summer and since the shop was hit by a strength 10 shitstorm the very day I arrived, I haven't had time to deal with RPS meet-ups. Anyway, things are more or less sorted now, thanks to my charming and tireless assistant Erlend.

We'll keep info about upcoming events here in a great, big, sticky thread, ok? Ok!

SATURDAY 16th OF JULY
    We (which is a euphemism for "you", since I'm tragically stuck in the Northern Wastes) are gathering at the Blue Posts once again to enjoy fine alcoholic beverages and discuss the important things in life, such as games, quantum mechanics and the finer points of Munchkin.
    Function room booked from 6pm - midnight.

SATURDAY 13th OF AUGUST
    We're gathering in Soho Square to get Drunk In a Park. Since quite a few of you seem to have problem Finding Things (tm), we figured a small park would be better than a large one. Or no park at all. You'll find us near the middle of the square from 2pm come sun or nasty weather, and we'll stay until we can't take it no more. Bring your own booze, a blanket if you like and an umbrella if it looks like you might need one.

SATURDAY 3rd of SEPTEMBER
    What's the common denominator between percentage of meat in cat food and number of ladies present at the average RPS meet-up?
    Answer: 4.

We're solving the problem right away by inviting you all to RPS LADIES' NIGHT, where all the guys are required to bring along someone of the opposite sex. It's a great opportunity to invite your partner or that cute girl you like, or just your friend, sister, mum or auntie for others to enjoy.

We're not letting you in without a female on your arm. Your only alternative if you can't find any is to dress up like one. Your choice. It will be awesome and there will be women. Lots of them. But only you can make it happen.
    Function room booked from 6pm - midnight.

WHERE IS THE BLUE POST?
    The Blue Post is a charming pub just off Leicester Square, at 28 Rupert Street, postcode W1D 6DJ. It's very close to Piccadilly and Leicester Square tube stations, and fairly close to half the ones in central London. You can find maps and directions over at trusty old Google Maps.

There's decent food available, and there's a bar upstairs in the function room, as well as a toilet. This saves you from associating with the proles and beggars likely to be found downstairs, and ensures that you won't fall down the stairs when collecting your tray of Jäger shots.

Looking forward to knowing that you're there, having fun, smiling and laughing and drinking while I'm stuck here. Yay.

BOARD GAMERS:
    I'm really sorry, but you'll have to wait a little while longer for us to sort things out with rooms and stuff. Come autumn, there will be stuff happening regularly; I promise.
    Last edited by Siri; 27-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    You're good people, Siri.

Excellent, as I have now moved to London I certainly hope to make it to one of the meetups.

Trains to London are so expensive. And yet, I keep going.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I should be back after my absence from the last one (I was drinking beer elsewhere! Shocking, I know..), I'll be making my glorious return on the 16th! Look forward to seeing all you nice chaps (and chapettes) again. Top organising as always Siri!

Damn you Siri.

Do you secretly have access to my calendar and a burning desire to book these dates when I have things planned?

Last weekend in Aug is the wife's birthday, and cool though she is (plays boardgames with me, PS3, WoW, dabbled with Portal 1 & 2), I suspect an RPS geek overload is not quite the surprise present she's been hinting she'd like...
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Activated Node
    ntw: I'll bring her a very nice cake if she decides to come.

Activated Node
    Yay for more drinking. Particularly Drinking in Parks...

Not so sure about the ladies night: pretty sure my girlfiend tolerates me going to these things so I don't talk about computer games to her...

Looks like the boardgaming thing is getting itself sorted as well: was at the meet-up yesterday, and that seemed to work pretty well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    How about the RPS geek overload, and then just as her face clouds up you go "naaahhhh, we've got a nice hotel room booked for this evening and then tomorrow we're going to a nice meal and a show" :)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronWR

Looks like the boardgaming thing is getting itself sorted as well: was at the meet-up yesterday, and that seemed to work pretty well.
    Totally missed this; tell me more!

Siri deserves a medal.

I will try to be at as many of those as possible.

Hi Siri,
    Nice moth by the way.

We tag along with another London Boardgame group who have very regular nights at no cost to the users.
    http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/

They run two weeknights near Bank tube and 3 Sundays a month near St James tube which a bunch of us tried out yesterday http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...p-thread/page5
    That thread has some non-London boardgamers in, so search it if you are looking out for non-Londoners.

Our London gaming group
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru....php?groupid=5

Also girlfriend laughed at the suggestion of bringing her along...
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

Oh Siri, you've made me so happy!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I'll actually be back home in London for one of the meetups this time around. I'll be there on the 16th to partake in beer drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Activated Node
    I approve of this
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Too far for me to attend on a whim sadly, but I'll throw out a suggestion that is entirely self-centred - 22-25 September is Eurogamer Expo in Earls Court, meaning quite a lot of gaming types will be in London for the weekend, might be worth organising something for one of those evenings?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Well I missed the last one but I enjoyed meeting you all so much last time I did go I think I will certainly try to make it. It will depend on finances, of course! But yes. Hopefully someone will remember me!

Sterling work, Siri! Thanks!

I remember you sanguine! We held the fort early on that day, making sure someone was drinking beer at the beginning of the afternoon...

I may avoid doing that again however, as I'd like to sound reasonably sober when the later people turn up this time (something that I've yet to achieve, making me look to many like the token alcoholic of the RPS group) :-D. I'll be there for 6 certainly though (and i guess a bit earlier if others do so, but no drinking all afternoon this time!). My train sends me home again at 10:30 :-( , so an earlier start works out best for me. Plus we can say farewell to Quinns! I shall buy him a DRINK.
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 05-07-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Removing AT-ATs

Pffft you've already backed down from 6 in that same post and convincing others to do the same. I can only see that going one way for you. Shall I get there at 4 to keep you company? Having said that I was pretty well gone by the end too and was really lucky to get home at all!

Christ, I'll buy Quinns a drink and maybe do him the honour of actually RECOGNISING him this time! How embarrassing that was! I blame the liquor.

Soooo.... no-one's posted in here for a week, but we're all still popping along this Saturday, right?

I mean, beer AND gaming conversation. That is a combination that has yet to be bettered...

Also, what time. I'm totally capitulating from my earlier post (well anticipated Sanguine) and saying I'll be there when other people are there (so, what time?). I'll manage my beer-rate fine THIS time. :-D

/Consider this a 'bump' if it makes you feel better :-)