Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Obama ads in Madden 13

Turns out the the democrats are going to be placing Obama campaign ads into Madden 13, and other EA titles.

Is this the first example of politics and games mixing directly? In Madden 11 I think Obama made a digital appearance during the Superbowl celebrations? Presumably had McCain won then he would have been featured. Is EA deliberately taking sides, or if the republicans offered the same amount of money would they too be allowed to place ads?

For a political party this is a really good move, a lot of young people play games and if America is like the UK then a lot of young people do not vote, so the potential to reach a generally disinterested demographic is massive.

However if people do not want to see the ads they cant exactly turn the game off as they would with the TV, and (again this is what I imagine) campaign ads seem to pervade every other facet of american media to the point where there is no escaping them during election time. Is this going too far?

Can't really see this happening in the UK but then our election run in is nothing like the American's. Cameron in dark souls? McLoughlin in Train Simulator?

Any ways just wondering what people thought of this, maybe its not that big a deal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    One of my friends summed up campaigning for college students, which really is basically the same argument:
    Congratulations, you just convinced a bunch of people who won't vote to vote for you. Now go talk to the old folks who ACTUALLY will be voting.

And yeah, this pisses me off. I have nothing against in-game ads, if they are at least done in the context of the in-game world (ads on a subway wall). This is just a banner ad people are forced to look at.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bracket View Post
    Can't really see this happening in the UK but then our election run in is nothing like the American's. Cameron in dark souls? McLoughlin in Train Simulator?
    The Tories ran ads on Spotify last election so it's not that far from reality...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    One of my friends summed up campaigning for college students, which really is basically the same argument:

Congratulations, you just convinced a bunch of people who won't vote to vote for you. Now go talk to the old folks who ACTUALLY will be voting.
    Obama's first election was bouyed by an unprecedented turnout of the youth vote.

So, um, yeah.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bracket View Post
    Turns out the the democrats are going to be placing Obama campaign ads into Madden 13, and other EA titles.

Is this the first example of politics and games mixing directly? In Madden 11 I think Obama made a digital appearance during the Superbowl celebrations? Presumably had McCain won then he would have been featured. Is EA deliberately taking sides, or if the republicans offered the same amount of money would they too be allowed to place ads?
    Obviously the latter. Ingame ad channels are not a new thing. This ingame ad happens to be political, but there are probably quite a few other advertisements on that channel that have nothing to do with politics. the democratic party just thought it was a good idea to advertise on that ad channel as well.

Is this the first example of politics and games mixing directly?
    Well, I don't really know what you mean with that. Call of Duty 4, for example, had a pretty strong but subtle anti-iraq message. Which is quite political, but obscure. A democratic campaign add in madden is very open and clear on what it's intentions are, but the adds are not part of the gameplay mechanics or the ingame story in any way. I wouldn't say they are mixed in this case.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 17-09-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Obama ads were in burnout paradise, so this is certainly not the first time.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Obama's first election was bouyed by an unprecedented turnout of the youth vote.

So, um, yeah.
    And listen to how disenfranchised they are after realizing that politicians lie. :p

And I skimmed that article. It sounds more like Obama just managed to get an overwhelming percentage of the young voters, not that the young voters necessarily turned out in drastically lager numbers (although, I may have missed it). Also, the article specifically says they weren't crucial to the victory.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

And I skimmed that article.
    It shows. You clearly didn't read to the end.

Here are some more articles for you to skim.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Something something most corrupted country in the world even eclipsing african nations something something.

It shows. You clearly didn't read to the end.

Here are some more articles for you to skim.
    Well, yeah. That's why I said it. Because the entire article basically said "Obama's campaign actually gave a crap about the young voters, it was not decisive". And I only skimmed the last paragraph where it said official estimates were not available. I missed the AMAZING 1% increase.

And sorry, but 2 million people and 2% or so isn't what I would call amazing. It is a sign that the young vote is starting to matter more, but they are still not a power-house. Not like old people and union workers (which is what both parties tend to target). The former because they somehow became less disenfranchised (go figure) and the latter because they tend to organize transportation and seriously pressure their members to vote on union-lines.

But either way, no real point in arguing politics. Especially considering how heated people get on trivial stuff, the last thing either of us needs is a politically charged flame war :p

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The Tories ran ads on Spotify last election so it's not that far from reality...
    Makes my subscription and the subsequent removal of ads all the more worthwhile.

And meh to this, as meh to all in game advertising. I am perfectly capable of ignoring adverts in real life, so I'm sure I can do the same in a game. If someone is willing to give a game company more money, which in turn allows them to put more money into making games, I don't really have an issue with seeing "Vote Obama" in the background. I can't really see anyone standing in the polling booth and thinking "I'll pick him, because I saw that name in Madden," though.

(However, as with all issues surrounding politics, I can't be positive I would be so blasť about this if it was the other guys.)

Politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics

Politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics politics

But either way, no real point in arguing politics.
    Far from reading other people's posts, I wonder if you even read your own.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Far from reading other people's posts, I wonder if you even read your own.
    Oh Nally...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Wat. How is EA "taking sides"?? They are getting paid for advertising time, just like the ads on TV and everything else.

And let's be honest here for a minute, you'd either have to be exceptionally uninformed or some kind of religious extremist to vote for Romney anyway. The guy lies so much he makes other politicians look honest and he's a fundamentalist nut case.

Obviously the latter. Ingame ad channels are not a new thing. This ingame ad happens to be political, but there are probably quite a few other advertisements on that channel that have nothing to do with politics. the democratic party just thought it was a good idea to advertise on that ad channel as well
    Obama ads were in burnout paradise, so this is certainly not the first time.
    Yeah, turns out that this happened in 2008. Nothing new at all, guess I didn't read the news much back then. Also if I bothered to read to the end of the article that I originally linked to, EA are quoted as saying that they were not displaying any particular allegiance, and that they accept advertisements from any credible political party.

@Grizzly
    Well, I don't really know what you mean with that.
    Sorry, I meant the mixing between ads for a particular party. Not games making carrying messages or making statements.

@Vandelay
    I tend to agree, in-game advertising doesn't really bother me because I don't think I pay much attention to them. However According to EA surveys conducted during the 2008 ad-run. "Gamers were 120 percent more likely to feel positively about the candidate and 50 percent more likely to consider voting for him after seeing the in-game ads."

Wat. How is EA "taking sides"?? They are getting paid for advertising time, just like the ads on TV and everything else.

Never said they were taking sides. I asked, and it turns out they're not.

Last edited by Bracket; 17-09-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Fluffed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    And let's be honest here for a minute, you'd either have to be exceptionally uninformed or some kind of religious extremist to vote for Romney anyway. The guy lies so much he makes other politicians look honest and he's a fundamentalist nut case.
    The only reason he's still in the runnings after joking about firing people, "I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners," "corporations are people, my friend," his tax return debacle, Bain Capital, horse dressage, "illegitimate rape," running from his own health care plan, insulting England, kowtowing to Netanyahu and alienating the entire Latino vote is because the Koch brothers have personally spent more money on his 2012 campaign than the entire 2008 McCain campaign combined.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Romney's less of a liar and more of a businessman, meaning he flip-flops policies depending on who his shareholders are. I don't begrudge the man (not that I'll vote for him), but running on the Republican ticket was the worst thing he could do. Now his running mate is an out-and-out true believer and full-blown liar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
    Romney's less of a liar and more of a businessman, meaning he flip-flops policies depending on who his shareholders are. I don't begrudge the man (not that I'll vote for him), but running on the Republican ticket was the worst thing he could do. Now his running mate is an out-and-out true believer and full-blown liar.
    lie

1    [lahy] Show IPA noun, verb, lied, ly∑ing.

noun1.a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; anintentional untruth; a falsehood.

2.something intended or serving to convey a false impression;imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.

3.an inaccurate or false statement.

4.the charge or accusation of lying: He flung the lie back at hisaccusers.

A more interesting issue and alas not a PC gaming issue is what effect, if any, the release of Halo 4 on the same day as the election (Nov 6th) will have. It has been suggested that it may prevent some young people from voting because they're playing the game.
    Last edited by ReV VAdAUL; 17-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

A more interesting issue and alas not a PC gaming issue is what effect, if any, the release of Halo 4 on the same day as the election (Nov 6th) will have. It has been suggested that it may prevent some young people from voting because they're playing the game.
    Actually that is pretty interesting. They should slip a few voting booths into game shops, or perhaps disguise voting stations as entire game shops.