Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bioware are decent, I've enjoyed their games but none of them have ever stood out. They have always been completely derivative. BG is their closest to a classic, but even that is like Planescapes plain sister.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I must be the only person on the planet who absolutely hated Mordin. It was painful every time I had to hear him talk. I purposely killed him off in my game, just to be rid of him. I actually did a fist pump when he died. It went down exactly like this, if you switched out Mordin for Miranda:

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?comic=022012
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Origin
    Bullfrog
    Westwood
    Maxis
    BioWare

What's missing?
    Pandemic
    Mythic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lectronic_Arts

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    ITT people who can't move on
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I guess KOTOR also set some very influential standards (I think...) in modern party-based choice'n'consequence RPGs: you have an HQ from which you adventure, all companions you recruit live in the HQ, you pick a few to go adventuring with you, they level with you whether adventuring with you or not, they can't die through combat, and at least some of them are integral to the plot.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    From what it sounds like though, I don't think this is a "rage quit" as it were, and it isn't them spiting EA. It sounds like they both just want to try other things in life.
    People usually don't quit at the heights of their careers, tho. Personally, I think it could be interpreted as the shift between "a personal passion" and "a well-paying job" over the past few years. They both made special mention of EA's financial and managerial support but little mention of creative opportunities. But, like I said earlier, the blogs are your usual all-positive pablum.

The secondary discussion of people arguing over when Bioware jumped the shark is even more dreck. And for once, Gundato-kun, we agree.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If there IS any disgruntlement, I think it would be a mixture of the ME3 fiasco ("Everything is horrible because I didn't realize the entire third game was the ending, not the last five minutes!") plus the general tone. In the era of BG and even NWN, people LIKED video games. They would say "Wow, this campaign is a piece of crap. But imagine all the fun stuff we can do with the toolset!". These days, you get "Oh my god, I hated the last minute or two, I am going to try and sue and scream how much I hate it!" or "Worst X ever"
    My god I wish I had a time machine to go back.

I remember being excited to hear Dragon Age would ship with the toolset, but sadly nothing nearly as good as anything for BG came of it. Just a bunch of nude models and XXX rated uncanny valley scenes.

Oh to when gaming wasn't what it is today...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacero View Post
    Pandemic
    Not EA's fault. Pandemic is one of those studios that couldn't adapt to the new console generation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    My god I wish I had a time machine to go back.

I remember being excited to hear Dragon Age would ship with the toolset, but sadly nothing nearly as good as anything for BG came of it. Just a bunch of nude models and XXX rated uncanny valley scenes.

Oh to when gaming wasn't what it is today...
    Morrowind was the eye opener for me. When it first came out, it was a wonderland of new quests, new equipment, and house mods.

Near the end of its life cycle (so shortly after Oblivion came out), pretty much every new mod was "Better Bodies Required: Nipple rings" or "Real Sex in Suran!".

Oblivion tried to recover, but it devolved into that pretty quickly. As a result, I refuse to even look at the nexus for Skyrim and just rely on the (filtered) Steam Workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Not EA's fault. Pandemic is one of those studios that couldn't adapt to the new console generation.
    Honestly, I would argue that of most "developers who got screwed by their publishers". The problem is: Some people like a publisher and don't want to admit they screwed the pooch. So we get "evil publisher!"

Does the publisher have an effect? Sometimes. It really depends on the genre and what kind of game. But a good dev team can output good games, even under heavy restrictions/pressure.

Take Obsidian. If you ask their fans, they have gotten screwed over by anyone who has ever funded any game they ever worked on. You would think they would have learned something by now (although, their comments on the KS suggest they might have)
    Then you have Infinity Ward. They bitched and moaned that EA were restrictive and turning them into a farm, so they jumped ship to Activision and made more Medal of Honor games for a few years (they just called it Call of Duty). Then they bitched and moaned that Activision were stifling and trying to screw them over, so they jumped ship again (I think back to EA? I didn't follow too closely) and are most assuredly making another manshoot.
    J. Michael Straczynski and Rob Liefeld do work of varying quality and then throw huge hissy fits every single time Marvel or DC express some creative control (mostly to keep the character and universe viable for more than the duration of the run), and it happens like clockwork.

Does having a bad boss help? Not at all. But some people just don't play well with others.
    Last edited by gundato; 19-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The nexus is very much the same as you'd imagine. I guess what happened was with the transition out of 2d and into 3d games people got less interested in making new stories, items and realms and more interested in taking female npcs out of their clothes and giving them new animations.

Near the end of its life cycle (so shortly after Oblivion came out), pretty much every new mod was "Better Bodies Required: Nipple rings" or "Real Sex in Suran!".
    Devolved into that? The mod scene started as that and never really went very far from its roots.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Devolved into that? The mod scene started as that and never really went very far from its roots.
    I disagree. You had some "eccentric" modders, but it was predominantly house mods and gear of varying qualities. At least, at the start.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I disagree. You had some "eccentric" modders, but it was predominantly house mods and gear of varying qualities. At least, at the start.
    Dude. Ever since we could have nine pixels in a square, somebody's made a nipple mod for it. First Adopters applies to games too.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Take Obsidian. If you ask their fans, they have gotten screwed over by anyone who has ever funded any game they ever worked on. You would think they would have learned something by now (although, their comments on the KS suggest they might have)
    DS3 was fine, KOTOR2 was documentally rushed by the publisher. New Vegas was no more buggy than any other game on that engine.

That just leaves Alpha Protocol and NWN2 as questionable. I know it's a weird co-incidence but there aren't enough games for it to be that unlikely...

There's more non-adult stuff than adult stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Which makes it pretty weird since bioware have been making the exact same game in a different skin with a worse and worse story since KOTOR... (kotor 2 , ME, dragon age are all the exact same formula as the original).
    I had my fill after Kotor, not sure why people were willing to put up with reskinned more of the same.
    Yep that's very true. I did enjoy KOTOR at the time, and ME was best described by someone on another forum - ME is the McDonalds of RPGs, a comfort food. It's a very polished and well done, but also somewhat expectable and generic.

If you feel like just getting some good RPGins action in, ME totally fills that in and is an enjoyable experience, just don't expect much more than that. That's how I approached it and, as a result, really enjoyed it. Haven't played sequels yet.

offtopic: I got beyond good and evil at its original release on pc and while fairly charming it was pretty rubbish as a game. I got bored a few hours in and stopped playing in the factory where I was photographing rats as if it's some pokemon game.
    Agreed, aside from a few set pieces and an amazing end-game sequence (imho), I was vastly disappointed by the game. All the "colorful imaginative characters" seemed kind of... hollow. Like "lets have a cow-man for the sake of having a cow-man" - it had absolutely no impact on the game or the world, there was no story behind them, they added nothing.

The game also tried to have a bit of mystery of "who are the bad guys" and "can you really trust the rebel group you're supposed to be working for?" which completely failed because
    a) it was so damn obvious from the first 5 minutes who the bad guys are and;
    b) you had absolutely no choice in your actions or whom you follow, so when the game asked you "can you trust them?" it instantly forced you to whether you did or not...

NWN's selling point was the modability. There are still persistent worlds being run.
    Aye, and for that I am sad it never gained in popularity. The main campaign was rubbish, but I played A LOT with the toolset and it was not only a really powerful, but also efficient compared to anything that existed on the market at the time. A really wonderful tool for making RPG adventures that never quite took off.

And playing on some of the persistent worlds was, honestly, some of the best online RPGing action I've ever had, much more fun than any MMOs I tried.
    Last edited by Koobazaur; 19-09-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Aye, and for that I am sad it never gained in popularity.
    To me, hardcore roleplayers are their own worst enemies. From the left sides of their mouths they say "why don't more people play with us?" and from the right they say "fuck you for not playing my way!"

But that's a discussion for another time.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl