Network Hub

[AAR] TT 18/09/2012 - Lets not mention the pre-match banter.

A lower than average turnout did nothing to reduce the amount of death that was had, thanks to everyone that turned up and contributed, a welcome to our new admin Strang and any new guys that popped along. Tonight we played;

Convoipolli
    Compound it
    Foxhound
    Lion

A botched ambush, a stoic cache defense, a victorious manhunt and a puppeteered shooting match set the stage for tonights shenanigans.

Kale is testing a new mission as I type so please put your thoughts on that as well.

Activated Node
    I had a fantastic time and greatly enjoyed the two missions I managed to get in. I will definitely be back next week should scheduling permit. :)

Network Hub
    Unfortunately I arrived late, but entered in the middle of the Convoipolli chaos. All I could make out was that MAT was to blame for all the ills in the world.

Compound it; was surprisingly uneventful considering the lack of Caches and their close proximity. Bravo worked together to clear out a compound where an unlucky BLUFOR squad themselves trapped.

Foxhound consisted of my grand, over-hyped IED bomb that failed to get a single kill, a dose of bad luck for SuperU and Toppometer and two whole enemy squads running past me leaving me telling my squadmates where their impending death was approaching from. The game ended with Guerfor getting just two of the six kills and me showing incredible positional awareness when getting myself killed.

Lion exposed my horrific leadership skills and A2 was wiped out by a squad positioned on the path A3 had already trodden. I was extremely confused.

The test mission was a great premise (especially the fact the policemen cannot easily communicate with blufor) but unfortunately as soon as the police count dipped below three the mission ended (also the total amount of policemen), and a policemen was early on caught out in a technical's headlights and gunned down, and a BLUFOR helo was downed.

Foxhound has to be one of the most enjoyable missions to play from an independent point of view.

Obscure Node
    It was a fun night indeed, adversarials are always fun ;)

Convoipolloi. I inherited the lead, but by then we were already so screwed after a failed ambush I decided to sprint towards an alive BTR.

Compound it. Spend the entire mission on a hill with binos overlooking the entire valley to spot enemy strength and postions. Witnessed a daring assault by harraka on a building full of enemies (shame I didn't fraps that). The most action I had during this mission was from dodging friendly bullets :P

Foxhound. It was nice to see my mission being played in prime time :) Everybody showed great skill. Fer by winning the mission, Tigershark for parking his helo in a hanger so well he wasn't able to get it out again, and a certain rebel RPG gunner who blew himself up.

Lion. My dog wanted to go for a walk, so I missed this one unfortunately
    Last edited by mike; 19-09-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Foxhound

DC (effective CO): Fer
    |
    |- ASL: Washington
    |- BSL: Bodge

We had to re-start this mission because one of the helicopter pilots hovered backwards, into the hanger. Fortunately for comrade Tigershark, the Party has chosen not to name the pilot in question. Oh wait, did I--

Anyway, it was the night for failings. If you are the commander, as I was, always always always check you aren't placing markers in global. Failing that, adopt a Soviet approach to mistakes: pretend they have not happened, and do not change your plan!

Fortunately for me, the mission lent itself to very Soviets-in-Afghanistan tactics, which are blunt enough to survive an information leak (even if that meant some my own men wouldn't). Using what I'd read in The Bear Went Over The Mountain, I opted to run a straightforward supported sweep of the green zone in which the insurgents were hiding.

Alpha, reinforced by 6-man Charlie, would start at the south-west end of the green zone and sweep through in a line. Bravo would move in parallel on the northern ridge, acting as a constantly shifting base-of-fire. The helicopter crews, though not originally part of my plan, would eventually man a single Mi-8 that acted as a rudimentary scouting / CAS element. That was it: a methodical march north-east through the AO, based on the concept that the sweeping squad, Alpha/Charlie, would always have some form of fire support from Bravo.

And that's pretty much how it went. We lost 2 men from the platoon, but we killed all 6 of the insurgents. Comrade Washington did a great job of moving his enlarged squad through the tricky terrain of the green zone, whilst comrade Bodge carefully moved Bravo around on the high ground, either providing direct fire support or vectoring-in comrade Tigershark's helo (with new comrade Langlet on guns). When comrade Bodge was killed, near the end, comrade Mike ably took over. Half of Bravo had, by this point, been sent north to act as a small blocking force (in lieu of a bronegruppa), but with time running out I asked Mike to bring them back and - hopefully - smash the surviving insurgents between our two squads.

Really great performances from the SLs, and also from comrades Tigershark and Langlet in the flying cow-with-machine-guns. All of OPFOR seemed to get their jobs done pretty smoothly (making it very easy to command). Kudos also to the mission maker engineer, comrade Mike!

Activated Node
    You stand corrected here, Fer. Had i not got myself blown up by some diabolic itchy finger machination, you'd have been in the shit, your troops being massively clustered in the first times of your sweep mostly the Alpha squad, as Bravo was getting suppressed by a PKM on the west side). Plus you only killed four and a half of us, some treacherous stairs having already stabbed comrade Toppo in the back. Or was it Egg.
    Not talking about that hilarious moment where your whole force passed by comrade Soup, one enemy walking less than 3 meters away from him (neither of them did realize it though).

Convoipolloi (B2 lead) had me survive the whole mission as well as Kale (AR) and Zitron (AT) who did a great job at destroying BTR-60s. My only concern there was to draw fire to give him room to take the shots, and to check every fifteen seconds where the hell Kale was.

Compound it (B1 AAR) saw me survive too, even after we soon lost our beloved FTL Bodge. Few contacts were had, and my only kill was a long range shot. Then i tried to shoot Mike, luckily failed pitifully and the mission ended. (note that as a grunt, i was never told that you were up here, Mike. I got that from one of your last sentences before the end of the mission, as the fire you were taking strangely coincided with the rounds i was laying down.)

Lion was fun. I was Meatshield Puppetmasta. Well, my puppets were the meatshield. Hid 8 of them behind various rocks, walls and houses, facing south, while the enemy was coming from the north. Set them to stealth and hold fire, and had them open fire only after the enemy had passed their positions and were engaged by Batman's squad on the front and Frou's on the flank. That 8-wheels mounted Stranglove did butchered them in the end, while dodging scores of rockets (so much that i finally wondered if it wasn't the other way around).
    Had my medic wander in the mountains to the west in case i had to respawn, and set myself in a nice vantage point on top of the mosque's minaret, from where i could easily move my puppets around and give them targets. Then waited for Strang to assault the city Rambo-style with his PKM in the hand, and slaughtered him shamefully.

Police rescue sounded like fun. I was Blufor command. Having reports of IEDs on the road, i decided we'd go airborne, having Toppo pilot, 3 men as a search team, and the chopper as Air support / Medevac. The BlackHawk is resistant and fast, and i thought that with the fog and the darkness, it was the best plan.
    Wrong. There was missiles where i expected AA guns and we got gunned down almost immediately after taking off. The chopper exploded the second i got out, and all of BLUFOR but Tink died (and he was supposed to be the one staying in the chopper!)
    feedback about that one: I don't know about the other factions, but as it is now, it seems impossible for Blufor.
    The fog + nighttime makes it impossible to locate the cops from the air. Reports of IEDs prevent you from taking the Humvees, as you wouldn't see shit on the road (took us a few seconds to actually find the humvees and the chopper on the base, even with NVGs). Plus the fact that OPFOR and Independants were in contact a few seconds after we were gunned down (we weren't even in Zargabad yet) shows that BLUFOR really needs to haul ass.
    You're then stuck with the chopper, but those have no missile detection systems, so you get hit outta nowhere in a Stevie Wonder environment.
    Suggestions :
    - remove the missiles as choppers don't stand a chance against them in arma if you don't use GLT_Missilebox and or Mando Missiles. Actually in a flat area as Zargabad, static Dshks are a sufficient antiair capability against choppers. Or remove the chopper.
    - Reevaluate if IEDs really are necessary (the test was rather short, so i have no idea as to how many there are), so that BLUFOR can concentrate on searching for the cops.
    - maybe reduce a bit the conditions (medium fog, evening?) so that the chopper acually needs to fly low but still can spot things on the ground.

Network Hub
    @Black Mamba

Regarding Police Rescue V2, thank you for your feedback and I have replied to it in a separate thread for that particular mission.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stayed around for 2 missions and was great fun.

Convoipolli was a bit uneventful for our team most of the time until the BTRs decided to attack head on. Managed to get a hit on one of them. I was then wounded by another that we thought was incapacitated only to be healed partly by Tigershark. We then proceeded to attempt to take out that BTR with grenades but something went wrong... Very wrong.

Compound it re-affirmed to me how an adversarial should be played: by taking initiative and moving around. We got pinned down by a group to our west, survived the potshots and the chopper strafes. I then decided that since we were lost anyway, I should try and flank some enemies holed up in a compound. After a bit of crawling around which brought back Dayz memories, I reached the compound alive. I went up a ladder and on a roof, shot a couple of them and was waiting to get a clean shot on the other. I hesitated a couple of times and in the end they figured out I was above them. In retrospect, I should have come down and tried one of the compound entrances. Also, I m not sure if VON gave me away as well, since I was constantly talking to daf who was providing some cover from the east (thanks!).

One last observation: we should really find a way to keep talk on Mumble to a minimum during missions, as many times I cannot hear instructions on VON over Mumble. Maybe we split up into groups with only leaders-commander on CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
    You stand corrected here, Fer. Had i not got myself blown up by some diabolic itchy finger machination, you'd have been in the shit, your troops being massively clustered in the first times of your sweep mostly the Alpha squad, as Bravo was getting suppressed by a PKM on the west side). Plus you only killed four and a half of us, some treacherous stairs having already stabbed comrade Toppo in the back. Or was it Egg. Not talking about that hilarious moment where your whole force passed by comrade Soup, one enemy walking less than 3 meters away from him (neither of them did realize it though).
    Comrade, if triggers and stairs choose to place themselves in the service of the Party, and strike a blow against you and your fellow counter-revolutionaries, then I see nothing wrong! You're right about Bravo getting suppressed by the PKM, but you miss out the part where our helo orbited the unfortunate's position, counter-pinning him (until he was shot). We can, of course, always get better at the clustering issue. I did come across one grouping from Alpha that was over-manning a compound later in the mission, but given the clustering of structures in the green zone, it's easy to see why people will gravitate towards the same spots. Did Soup manage to exploit his advantage?

Batman's squad on the front and Frou's on the flank.
    You mean, of course, Kefirz and Fer. Oh shi-- I wasn't supposed to reveal Bruce Wayne's identity.

Activated Node
    Actually Bodge's squad did pretty well when coming under fire from (SuperÜ's?) PKM. They only got delayed a bit and didn't take any casulaties (one wounded guy, quickly fixed up behind a ridge). Had Super waited a bit more before engaging though, and it might have been a massacre, due to the lack of cover between that ridge and the machinegun's firing position.
    In the end it was more the fact that he had spent his entire ammo supply shooting at the ridge than the fact that the chopper tried to suppress him that forced him to pull back and go rearm to the wrecks.

And no, Soup did not get a single kill even though he was in your back most of the time (he had a Lee Enfield and apparently didn't feel confident to open fire in situations where i would most definitely have. The Ol'rusty rifle would have then backfired and i would have died anyway).

All this is easier said than done, though, and i was extremely disappointed by the way i died really early, as i was in an ideal position to deal some damage to the Alpha squad.

A really fun session, I usually don't enjoy adversarial that much but the three matches we had were really varied and exciting, good work mission makers.

Convoipolli

Bravo Medic under SL Toppo

I set up in a building halfway between B1 and B2 and waited and waited and eventually got fed up of waiting and ran up the hill to Bravo 1's position. Then they all died and so did the CO, with no one on the hill left to practice my questionable medical skills on I decided to regroup with B2 who were advancing using smoke. By the time I caught up with them they were also mostly dead. So I joined the remaider of Alpha and charged down the road.

Compound it

Opfor Bravo SL

I had Tigershark leading B1 and Egg leading B2. I kept B1 on the ridge expecting some enemy to be there and sent B2 towards the cache. Up on the ridge B1 came under fire and under the advice of Tiger I sent them back to try and sweep round and into the valley. This worked out really well and B1 were able to flank and suppress the cache. I was hearing things weren't going to too well for alpha up north and in my rush to blow my cache and get up to help them I ran into a fairly obvious trap. B1 avaenged me and blew the cache but at that point they were the only ones left and soon got swarmed upon.

Foxhound

Opfor Alpha 1 AR

Didn't see any enemy but did manage to run off lots of pies.

Lion

Opfor CO

After listening to The Trooper by Iron Maiden too much I decided to pop my commanding cherry by recreating the charge of the light brigade, sending my men into a valley against overwhelming odds. I think we did surprisingly well here I'm pretty sure we ended up killing 3 for every 1 we lost (and you better believe we lost everyone). Special thanks for Washington as the ASL for his patience and to the IFV team for doing a really good job. It's not often in an arps session where our armour is the last thing standing.

Police Rescue V2

BluFor Medic

I was supposed to take the roll of chopper gunner/medevac but with the night and the fog I couldn't see anything. Eventually I got a glimpse of something, unfortunately that something was a missle. I bailed but the rest of blufor were not so lucky. I landed in the AO and found cover. I heard gunfire really close and started making my way towards it but it turned out to be the police we were meant to be saving getting exectued.

In-game nick: storm. Arrived too late for Convoipolloi. Sounded fun though.

Compound it:
    GuerFor Bravo 1 AR. A mission of highs and lows for me. Early in the mission, Bodge was killed, leaving me in command of the fireteam. Oh dear. Bravo managed to beat off the assault from the west and turn to dig out some enemies holed up in a small compound to the east. It was at this point that I was ignominiously wounded and had to be dragged back into cover and patched up by Issus and Mamba while Bravo 2 assaulted the building and cleared out its occupants. The remaining enemies were crawling over the hills to our south east, so we were dispatched to a small compound from which we could lay down some more effective fire. We got there just in time to start shooting at mike as he gunned down the last couple of enemies. Oops (lesson learned: as FTL, check map for friendly locations before firing at fuzzy shapes in the distance). On mission end, I discovered that I'd killed three enemies while expending less than a single magazine of ammunition. I also discovered that I need a lot more practice at this whole fire team leader business.

Foxhound: Opfor Charlie 1 AR. As part of the sweeping element, we cleared compound after compound under Draakon's lead. At one point, an unlucky insurgent (Toppometer?) ran past our fireteam's line of fire as we were preparing to leave a compound, so we lit him up. Another firefight saw Ebass and Skull injured and a member of an Alpha fireteam dead, before Draakon and another friendly cleared out the enemy above the stairs with a grenade and a lot of bullets.

Lion: Opfor Alpha medic. Not much to say. I followed my squad leader, washington, up onto the left-hand ridge. I was shot by a prone enemy just as I was raising my weapon and trying to shout a warning. To no avail, as washington soon joined me in the spectator script.
    Last edited by stormbringer951; 19-09-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    I decided to regroup with B2 who were advancing using smoke. By the time I caught up with them they were also mostly dead. So I joined the remaider of Alpha and charged down the road.
    Did you change your Mumble Channel to alpha's?
    B2 was never dead (we had one loss at the very beginning of the firefight, and i was wounded and fixed up later towards the end of the mission) and i asked several times on Mumble's Bravo channel if there was any survivors in Bravo. Not getting any response i assumed we were Bravo.

Did you change your Mumble Channel to alpha's?
    B2 was never dead (we had one loss at the very beginning of the firefight, and i was wounded and fixed up later towards the end of the mission) and i asked several times on Mumble's Bravo channel if there was any survivors in Bravo. Not getting any response i assumed we were Bravo.
    This was fairly near the end, when we got the order to charge. By that stage the mission had gone so far south it was tracing the route of the Scott expedition.

Obscure Node
    Convoipolli

Bravo 1 AT

While the combat effectiveness of Bravo 2 continues to be debated, I can confirm Comrade Tink's observation at Bravo 1 became very, very dead, very, very quickly.

We set up on a rocky outcropping on a hill overlooking the bend in the road, a perfect position to hit the first few vehicles as the convoy slowed down for the curve. I readied my RPG, only to be told I was going to be the first to initiate contact, and that everyone would be waiting for my rocket as the signal to open fire. Reflecting soberly that I'd never before had the chance to screw up a whole ambush, I waited. And waited. Luckily, the winner of "Person most likely to get spotted and mess everything up" was our newest admin and all-round nice guy, StrangLove, thus handing me a much needed reprieve. Thanks mate! :D

Comrade Zitron tried to hurry them on their way with an impressive long-range RPG shot, and soon BTRs were descending on the village, albeit from the hill and forest rather than the road. I managed to get the first BTR with two clean hits, disabling it before another gunner could finish it off. However, as I was reloading I had my face taken clean off by the first burst of HMG fire from the other side of the valley. The second and third bursts finished off the rest of my fireteam, before my spectator script had even loaded, leaving us ample opportunity to watch "dead" vehicles sporadically mow down our comrades.

Compound it

GuerFor Bravo 1 AT

We hunkered in next to the northern most cache and awaited the British assault. Sadly, our esteemed FTL, Bodge, died early on in mysterious circumstances. Thankfully, storm did a great job leading in his absence, especially as I was hopelessly confused about the locations of the enemy for the entire mission, not even managing to see a single one, let alone fire a shot. The best thing I managed to do was get storm patched up after he'd been injured while being all brave and leadery and stuff. At the time I think I was inside a nearby building, daydreaming about the interior design possibilities.

Foxhound

Opfor Bravo... something, AR

Ran around on hills a lot. Had some nasty green stuff fired at me. Watched people blow themselves up from afar. Nothing much to tell.

That said, Tigershark trying to fly his fully-loaded chopper out of the hanger was pretty damn funny.

Lion

Opfor Alpha 1 AR, with Specialsoup and Toppo

Lasted longer in Lion than I did last time (first to die, bitches! *high-fives*), mainly as our side of the hill seemed to be much quieter than A2's. We let Washington run too far ahead on his own and were consequently too late to stop Bodge taking him down in a cowardly fashion, leaving Toppo to exact revenge before we moved on.

Further along the ridge we spotted A3 in serious trouble and being flanked by EI. I was too cautious and needed confirmation to fire on a squad of enemies that crested the hill in front of us, and I probably should have tried to find cover when the order to engage came. Managed to bag a couple before everyone in A1 caught a bullet and went down. Eventually, I was able to crawl and shoot, but with my aiming reticule being all over the place "suppressive fire" would be too kind a term for the quality of my marksmanship, and I bled out in ignominy.

Police Rescue V2

BluFor AAR

I remembered from the last playthrough we attempted of Police Rescue that the road to town was heavily defended, so I was initially grateful when we decided to take the chopper and execute a daring landing near the middle of the city. However, I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that something was wrong. Didn't Zitron crash the last time he tried to take the Black Hawk on this mission? He's a good pilot, why would he...

Oh, wait, the AI have Surface to Air Missiles! That's why flying is a bad ide... *BOOM*

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by fer View Post
    Did Soup manage to exploit his advantage?
    Sadly due to my own inability with the Lee Enfield and belief that the IED bombs would be a huge success, I decided not to fire.

This came back to haunt me when I was the last squad member alive stuck way behind enemy lines, leading to me promptly running head first into an enemy compound and unsurprisingly, being spotted.