Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

DRM huge brush: Forcing estonian, lithuan, others to use the russian cut down version

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...tting_our_own/

This looks bad. Seems that less than 5% of people talk russian in these countries, but are forced to use a russian only version, and paid full price. The russian version is cut down, and is locked to only work with other russian versions.

Its hard enough for these people, because 50 is maybe half the month wage from a worker. Publishers are practically forcing people to pirate games.

Fortunately I got my copy from a friend of mine by a gift and I'm not affected by this issue but this is a scam by the publisher.
    Let people pre-order the game for 49,99 €, give no warning that the game is Russian only, change it few days before the release to a Russian only version which actually only costs 600 RUB = 19,68 $ = 15 €. Not to mention that you are only allowed to play online with other Russian players. This is unbelievable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    As some people said. One reason pirating is huge, is because we can't get a normal copy. It's sadly amusing, how western world views us here. There are way too many countries with their national languages, but most of countries in post Soviet zones try to move to western world, not eastern. Only issue, why should we do it, if we're gonna be treated like trash anyways?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    It's sadly amusing, how western world views us here.
    I am spanish, and I have met a few lithuaniam, and where amazing cool people. I also have a good opinion of russians. Fuck cut down versions.

I hope Lithuania do well in the future, and maybe return back a visit some day :D
    Last edited by Tei; 16-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.

I am Estonian and can confirm the situation. While there definitely are Russian folk in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, a lot of them are the elderly left over from the occupation. Most of the nation's youth does not speak Russian and schools start teaching English to children at age 6-7. While taking this into account, the localization decision for Borderlands 2 does not make any sense.

I do understand the problem of piracy as it is very simple to get a hold of a free copy in these parts, but pirated copies usually come without multiplayer. Many of the players are happy to pay the original price for a proper version of the game here. The distributors are only losing potential customers with this decision and gaining nothing out of it in the grand scheme of things.

Hopefully this will be cleared up ASAP and we can proceed as normal.
    Last edited by Flabberghast; 16-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I know next to nothing about modern day Estonia and Lithuania (or Russia for that matter), but it's always shitty when a publisher treats their customers like the enemy, especially to this extent. On a barely related note, I'm a bit saddened so many MMOs give me an EU version, meeting Russians and Chinese back on Lineage 2 was a lot of fun.

I would suggest 2K's marketing people got hold of an up to date world atlas. Anything published in the last 20 years would do fine.

Alternatively...they could just spend 10 seconds on Google.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Are there nothing you can do to change the language to english,i remember you could change language in ini file for RE5,from chinese to ENG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Are there nothing you can do to change the language to english,i remember you could change language in ini file for RE5,from chinese to ENG.
    Only if the game contains all files. Probably thats how multi-culture games are made, by including all files and configuring in a ini what files to load.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Even if English language is possible, we're still cut out from the rest of the world. Playing together with people who have the other version of the game will not be possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I'm not sure if region locks really count as DRM (sort of like how Germans get toned down versions of games), but my condolences to all the gamers affected by this.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post

This looks bad. Seems that less than 5% of people talk russian in these countries, but are forced to use a russian only version, and paid full price. The russian version is cut down, and is locked to only work with other russian versions.

Its hard enough for these people, because 50€ is maybe half the month wage from a worker. Publishers are practically forcing people to pirate games.
    Over 20% of the people in Estonia are Russian. It still sucks to force the rest to use the Russian version (or pirate). Not only is it a completely different language, it's also the language of their former oppressors.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I know next to nothing about modern day Estonia and Lithuania (or Russia for that matter), but it's always shitty when a publisher treats their customers like the enemy, especially to this extent. On a barely related note, I'm a bit saddened so many MMOs give me an EU version, meeting Russians and Chinese back on Lineage 2 was a lot of fun.
    Play Eve Online and tell me how fun it is to meet Russians again, I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Eve Online
    The problem is right there and not in nationality. Player base is trash.
    Last edited by gravity_spoon; 17-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post

It is actually far worse than that. To quote the post you linked above: "I preordered Borderlands 2, expecting it to be the global version. There was nothing stated on the preorder page a few days ago, so I just went for it." That's how it goes for thousands of buyers from CIS countries and that is simply illegal.

This lockdown is by far the most ugly case of a complete disregard for Eastern Europe customers' rights and needs.
    Advertise and sell one product, then retroactively change it to another? No problem, Steam's EULA has something-something to say about how OK it is! Russian language only for, say, Estonians? Sure, why not! All Estonians speak broken Russian [there's no proper Russian in games' translations], right? Separate multiplayer zone for Russia and CIS? Well of course, who else would want to play with Russians anyway? Madness!

I mean, seriously, someone in the production chain must have asked oneself all of these questions and deduced similar answers. Sure, that person deserves a beating, but that's not the point. Point is, such a crazy-ass bullshit desperately needs media-coverage. It's a damned crime, right here! We [customers and gamers] kind of need some help on this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can understand region locking the cheap Russian version so it doesn't work outside a particular region, but why restrict access to the expensive version?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I can understand region locking the cheap Russian version so it doesn't work outside a particular region, but why restrict access to the expensive version?
    1C. A local Russian publisher is involved. I guess it has something to do with that. They get sort of exclusive rights for Russian retail copies I suppose.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity_spoon View Post
    1C. A local Russian publisher is involved. I guess it has something to do with that. They get sort of exclusive rights for Russian retail copies I suppose.
    Not true. Read the paragraph "UPD 18:57 16.09.2012 (UTC)" from the reddit post mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Supremum View Post
    Not true. Read the paragraph "UPD 18:57 16.09.2012 (UTC)" from the reddit post mentioned above.
    UPD 18:57 16.09.2012 (UTC): (probably last one for today) I should have posted that earlier, but the last part of my original post makes no sense to me now that I'm reading it through again. It's not 1C or SoftClub who is to blame, it's the game's original publisher, in this case, 2K. I removed all the offensive statements directed at Russian publishers, and I'd like to apologize to the people at 1C and to everyone following this thread for the horrible mess I've made. The news hit me as a bit of a shock, so I hope you'll be able to understand why it was written that way. I hope we get some comment from 2K tomorrow. Good night, reddit.

Still doesn't explain why 2K is involved and not 1C as well. If people were able to buy unlocked version on Steam then wouldn't it hit sales that 1C is going to make ? Many sources quoted in there are in Russian and I don't understand it. Some explanation would be very helpful

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity_spoon View Post
    Still doesn't explain why 2K is involved and not 1C as well. If people were able to buy unlocked version on Steam then wouldn't it hit sales that 1C is going to make ? Many sources quoted in there are in Russian and I don't understand it. Some explanation would be very helpful
    Well, I don't really have enough time right now to translate a whole relevant topic from 1C forums. Basically, they are not involved in decisions of such a scale at all. At least that is an official version.