Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Advanced interactive environments?

I've been looking at some Borderlands 2 PhysX videos. When someone is shot even the blood is a simulated liquid. What other games react to player input in a realistic manner? I don't mean minor stuff like the cloth of Mirror's Edge or the smoke in Clear Sky. Those are nice effects which add a lot to the atmosphere. But I'm looking for more complex interaction, on a larger scale.

Off the top of my head:

- Crysis
    - Cryostasis
    - the Red Faction series
    - the Bad Company games
    - The Force Unleashed
    - Stranglehold
    - Mafia 2
    - Far Cry 2
    - modern Relic games and World in Conflict
    - From Dust

Many game worlds are just static, non-interactive shells. Software like PhysX and Digital Molecular Matter is free (the latter is even supported by AMD). Havok have their own cloth, liquid and destruction models yet almost nobody uses them.
    One of the reasons I was looking forward to Larrabee was the massive potential for advanced physics simulation. Take a look at this Project Offset demo - the way the particles react to wind and impacts is still cutting edge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Don't forget Cellfactor!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AELtv...eature=related

Pure hype at it's finest.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Cellfactor, Warmonger, Bet on Soldier, the Ageia UT3 and GRAW2 maps were interesting experiments. They showed a lot of promise but five years later not much changed in the industry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Dwarf Fortress, Shirley.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 19-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Many game worlds are just static, non-interactive shells. Software like PhysX and Digital Molecular Matter is free (the latter is even supported by AMD). Havok have their own cloth, liquid and destruction models yet almost nobody uses them.
    One of the reasons I was looking forward to Larrabee was the massive potential for advanced physics simulation. Take a look at this Project Offset demo - the way the particles react to wind and impacts is still cutting edge.
    Because, frankly, they are still too demanding / challenging to implement without hogging up all your CPU resources. Why do you think cloth / DMM / liquids are used so sparingly? It took a while for hardware and multi-threaded programming to get to the point where we can even have realistic rigid body physics, so it will take some time before we reach a similar point with more advanced computations like liquids or soft-body mechanics. We're definitely on the path there, just gotta sit tight and wait as it becomes more widespread :)

EDIT: just watched the offset demo. Looks cool, but that's kind of the point - it was probably ran on top-notch hardware, and focused on a fairly small area with no gameplay, AI, player interaction etc. Could be a nice occasional set piece, but you can't really build a whole huge level like that without sacrificing AI, graphics, gameplay, audio etc. At least not without insane minimum specs.
    Last edited by Koobazaur; 19-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Rigs of Rods has soft body physics, here being used in Cry Engine 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

Off Road Drive and Spin Tyres have deformable terrain
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZip0XO8igM

LFS has had tire deformation for a long time (and it's not just an optical effect)
    http://splicd.com/uAh3fQ1d1Ek/65/71
    http://splicd.com/qgQF84hyRRk/79/92
    Last edited by bad guy; 19-09-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Because, frankly, they are still too demanding / challenging to implement without hogging up all your CPU resources. Why do you think cloth / DMM / liquids are used so sparingly? It took a while for hardware and multi-threaded programming to get to the point where we can even have realistic rigid body physics, so it will take some time before we reach a similar point with more advanced computations like liquids or soft-body mechanics. We're definitely on the path there, just gotta sit tight and wait as it becomes more widespread :)

EDIT: just watched the offset demo. Looks cool, but that's kind of the point - it was probably ran on top-notch hardware, and focused on a fairly small area with no gameplay, AI, player interaction etc. Could be a nice occasional set piece, but you can't really build a whole huge level like that without sacrificing AI, graphics, gameplay, audio etc. At least not without insane minimum specs.
    I don't think it's the huge hurdle it used to be, otherwise you would be pointing out that Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 run like crap :)
    Steam profile

Well, they dumbed down the destruction in BF3...

Spin Tires looks cool.

Project CARS also looks very promising in regards to advanced physics.
    Steam profile

The euphoria engine (used in games like Red Dead Redemption, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, GTA, Fifa/Madden...) has nice body physics, but the environment interaction is certainly pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Project CARS also looks very promising in regards to advanced physics.
    I don't know about that.
    They are the dudes responsible for SHIFT2, and have yet to prove themselves in driving physics.