Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DICE To Modders: Try To Make Our Game Look Good And Be Banned!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/03/di...tlefield-3-mo/

The tweet they posted really says it all. Not, "You can exploit the game by using this mod" but "to colorful."

Now taking bets on when they'll make a color-correction DLC pack.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Makes sense to me. Rather than go out of their way to add special exceptions, just ban all third-party programs that are modifying the game files. It really shouldn't take a genius to understand why that would be bad...

But that doesn't fit the "Screw DICE and EA" narrative, so I assume it is wrong.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

When your response is "It makes the game look different and I don't like that" instead of "You're cheating in our game" that doesn't seem arrogant at all?

Why are you on a PC gaming website?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Shush - One does not have to subscribe to a particular set of views and not deviate from them because one likes a certain format. Gundato has a point; it's easier to prohibit all modifications, than it is to allow one and then have a slippery slope of modifications be created.

How it was handled though, was terrible.

When your response is "It makes the game look different and I don't like that" instead of "You're cheating in our game" that doesn't seem arrogant at all?

Uhm... because I play PC games?

And the actual quote

@Minusthebeats@Demize99@zh1nt0 to colorful. Also I wouldn't use those hacks if you don't want a perm ban on your account. FYI warning.

As in, he does not like the art style and suggests not using hacks to avoid perma-bans.

I don't see how that was so horrible. It was a twitter post. Those are limited to a certain number of characters (if memory serves), so he can't go into a long speech on something that should be VERY obvious.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Grr, argh, EA baaad. Boo, hiss...

It's done like this right?

I can understand them taking a harsh line on it... Can't say I agree with them, completely, but I can understand it. The 'hack' can be used for much, much more than just changing the colour balance, and obviously they don't want people doing that... they want to keep the competitive standards and the game unmodified. It isn't so much "Try To Make Our Game Look Good And Be Banned!" and more "(Please) Don't modify the game files! Don't do this sort of thing! You say it's to do X, but it could just as easily do Y, we can't tell, and as Y would be a really shitty thing, we want to prevent even the possibility of that, rather than allow X and at the same time allow Y". That's quite a mouthful though... doubt you could fit that into a tweet.

Simple solution is to take that X, whatever the mod/hack claims to do, and incorporate that into the game/options for everyone... then no hack required, and no possibility of Y.

For me, the real problem is that there only are the Official, DICE/EA servers available... and no way to have your servers outside of that, where you can do what you want. But I think that's probably a whole new topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

It can give players an advantage, by the way. A friend of mine loaded it up on a non-punkbuster server, and the glare if you look at the sun has been reduced by like, 90% - A great advantage if you're trying to take down a jet/flying a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    It can give players an advantage, by the way. A friend of mine loaded it up on a non-punkbuster server, and the glare if you look at the sun has been reduced by like, 90% - A great advantage if you're trying to take down a jet/flying a jet.
    Or even approaching certain points, like Hilltop or Forest on Caspian, without the glare is a pretty large advantage.

And, from a quick look at the screenshots of the tool and a read-up on its limitations, it sounds like this only affects the map. So with a bit of tweaking, you can make most player skins stick out like a sore thumb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar

Even CS (a mod itself) would use something like punkbuster (on servers that chose) to stop graphical mods.

It's hard for a server to tell what a mod is actually doing, but these color mods can clear the obstructions from view, ruin camouflage by making all opponents fluorescent orange, and perhaps lead the way to aimbots and other cheats.

To me the issue here has nothing to do with DICE/EA banning modders. The big problem with BF3, to me, is the lack of server software for the end user. That is the solution to this problem. Let people run their servers however they want.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 04-10-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: I sounded like a douche

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just make it a SP mod... oh wait.

BF3 is just an abusive game by design. DICE have forsaken us.

It'd be one thing if he had said outright, "Hey this is basically a cheat folks." But when your first reaction is, "We don't like how it looks" and then "Oh, and by the way we'll ban you if you use it. Because of cheats and all." that's not a good thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    BF3 is just an abusive game by design. DICE have forsaken us.
    I know you are saying that hyperbolicaly, but I find it hard to disagree.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

It'd be one thing if he had said outright, "Hey this is basically a cheat folks." But when your first reaction is, "We don't like how it looks" and then "Oh, and by the way we'll ban you if you use it. Because of cheats and all." that's not a good thing.
    Why not? He was responding to someone asking how he thought it looked. He was honest and replied to that, and then pointed out that it's on troublesome ground as far as being a hack, keeping their game unmodified etc. Why does giving his opinion on the style/aesthetics first, then negate his comments on the 'legality' (for want of a better word) of the mod?
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    What the FUCK were DICE thinking when they designed Wake Island for BF3?

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Or even approaching certain points, like Hilltop or Forest on Caspian, without the glare is a pretty large advantage.
    True, being able to actually see anything is unfair.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Yeah, Wake Island.
    Here's what they thought: Wake Island was the original BF map. It was a prerelease demo before BF1942, and won over many gamers before that game even came out.

Here's what they did: Removed driving controls from the carrier, making it immobile. They made it invincible, AND they made it out of bounds to any opponent not in a flying vehicle.

I'm not sure they understand why the original Wake Island is such a great map.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I know you are saying that hyperbolicaly
    Haha ... nope. No sarcasm or hyperbole intended. We have had this discussion before though.

Like, why do they have to dump all my kit setups and make me reconfigure them? Thanks DICE.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah, Wake Island.
    Here's what they thought: Wake Island was the original BF map. It was a prerelease demo before BF1942, and won over many gamers before that game even came out.

Here's what they did: Removed driving controls from the carrier, making it immobile. They made it invincible, AND they made it out of bounds to any opponent not in a flying vehicle.

I'm not sure they understand why the original Wake Island is such a great map.

They didn't understand anything about what made battlefield big.
    3 things did:
    -mod tools: WAY more people bought and most importantly kept playing bf1942 because of DC and later forgotten hope than for the vanilla game.
    -Conquest as they called it was implemented really well, the maps were designed around it. It wasn't another quake, it wasn't another cs or , it wasn't another rtcw, it wasn't another medal of honor.
    -it was a sandbox fps game, something that didn't really exist before.
    From the vehicle physics and variety, to the wide variety of classes and the big maps, it all allowed for a large variety in unique playstyles that you couldn't really get in other games.

Bf3 doesn't have any of that...

There are no stuntclans in bf3 because they took a big shit on the physics to dumb them down, cap points are too close together to allow any form of conquest gameplay , there is no variety in vehicles or vehicle related gameplay, most of what little variety there is locked away behind a carrot exp grind wall... and there are no mods , hidden behind the excuse that the community is too dumb to use their tools.

in another year bf3 will be abandoned for bf4 and suckers will pay another 100+ euros for that toddler version of battlefield.