Activated Node

Assassins Creed 3 - This Video is the reason I am buying the game :D

So I was checking around the interwebz the other day and came across this assassins creed 3 video.. Now keep in mind I have never played assassins creed (none of them) and always heard good things about the series. I am looking for your opinions on the game and if it is everything it is hyped up to be. Are the AC series that good? Input feedback and suggestions are all accepted. P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6QH5gq1JcB0

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The series has always been extremely (and that is still an understatement) light on gameplay.

You hold a button to have the game automatically platform for you, there are no physics or anything worked into the gameplay.
    The combat looks fancy in videos but it is just a string of quicktime events much like in the batman games.
    There are a few mini 'dungeons' with very light prince of persia style jumping puzzles but those are few and far between.
    It's also not a sandbox game like gta or just cause 2 or most of the other open world games, you just pick up self contained chores and tasks all over the place, kind of like quests in an mmo.

There is a lot of filling bars if that is your thing, you can buy shops, rebuild your home village (this is just a cosmetic thing it has no bearing on gameplay), train assassins that you can call with a button to do a prebaked animation on enemies, 'complete' the world map etc.

The story is... painful. Aside from the insulting pseudo italian accent from the american voice actors it's just your basic power fantasy aimed at teenagers and cubicle workers.

Just letting you know the flipside of the usual swooning this game often receives.
    Make sure to ask those who recommend it to you what makes the gameplay so special to them and how it's an open world game and what they like about the story.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    The series has always been extremely (and that is still an understatement) light on gameplay.

You hold a button to have the game automatically platform for you, there are no physics or anything worked into the gameplay.
    The combat looks fancy in videos but it is just a string of quicktime events much like in the batman games.
    There are a few mini 'dungeons' with very light prince of persia style jumping puzzles but those are few and far between.
    It's also not a sandbox game like gta or just cause 2 or most of the other open world games, you just pick up self contained chores and tasks all over the place, kind of like quests in an mmo.

There is a lot of filling bars if that is your thing, you can buy shops, rebuild your home village (this is just a cosmetic thing it has no bearing on gameplay), train assassins that you can call with a button to do a prebaked animation on enemies, 'complete' the world map etc.

The story is... painful. Aside from the insulting pseudo italian accent from the american voice actors it's just your basic power fantasy aimed at teenagers and cubicle workers.

Just letting you know the flipside of the usual swooning this game often receives.
    Make sure to ask those who recommend it to you what makes the gameplay so special to them and how it's an open world game and what they like about the story.

Will do thank you for the insight. I really liked the detail you provided in this post. Much appreciated :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I agree with Finicky's post, although I think the first game was quite enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    This is the video that convinced me it's not worth it. Shit QTEs ruin everything. The deer hunting (5 minuts in) is ridiculous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The Assassins Creed to buy if you have a legitimate interest in the pinnacle of its design is brotherhood.

But not for the well publicised single player. Nope, the reason to play it is the 'the ship but less toilet' style social stealth game.

Note: Although similar ass rev multiplayer is broken by its equipment options. But "bodyguard"(ass rev equip) is a work of art.

Yes multiplayer is peer to peer, yes it has leveling up for unlocks, but despite these 2 warts the gameplay can go from tranquil to a tense furbal in seconds, from practised strategy to ad hoc desperation before you realise.

It's said a lot but it genuinely is easy to learn hard to master..
    Edit: Ass 3 multiplayer adds "wolfpack coop" where you hunt in groups (2-6?) this could be exceptional.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 06-10-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The naval sections look clunky, but I'm interested in the multiplayer. The wolfpack mentioned by Heliocentric sounds really good. Connor instead of Ezio... I'll withhold my judgement.