Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    244

    I have a PC capable of playing modern games for this first time since 2007

    As title, I haven't been able to play graphics heavy games since around 2006/2007 and as such, have missed out on many, MANY games (I got a bit of gaming in occasionally on friends computers, but that's about it).

    Would thoroughly appreciate replies with great games that I may have missed and most definitely shouldn't have missed (added props if they're beautiful).

    I did play Oblivion, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, Far Cry 2, Crysis, E:TW, N:TW and S2:TW off the top of my head.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Good place to start:
    Dark Souls
    The Witcher 2
    Fallout 3
    Dirt 2/3
    Batman Arkham Asylum/City
    Deus Ex HR
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Some of my favorite games released since 2007. * by the beautiful stuff

    Strategy

    Ruse*
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion*
    The Settlers 7*
    Supreme Commander 2
    EndWar
    Civilization V*
    Frozen Synapse

    RPG
    Dark Souls* (with mod)
    Dungeon Siege 3
    The Witcher 2*
    Mass Effect 2
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: New Vegas

    Action
    Just Cause 2*
    Batman: Arkham City*
    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Max Payne 3*
    Sleeping Dogs*
    Bulletstorm
    Borderlands 2*
    Metro 2033*
    The Darkness 2*
    Mafia 2*
    Dead Rising 2
    Lost Planet 2*

    Adventure/Puzzle
    Vessel
    Amnesia
    Braid
    Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon
    The Void

    Platformer
    VVVVVV
    Prince of Persia (2008)*
    Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands*
    Limbo
    Mirror's Edge*
    Last edited by Giaddon; 06-10-2012 at 12:56 AM.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,841
    I'm curious as to what you consider 'modern games' - it's just I have an old PC here I use for testing stuff and it will play a lot of 'modern games' just fine, using ancient tech.

    The only things I can think of which can't play anything remotely 'modern' are older Netbooks really!?

    Mashakos's list is interesting - they're ALL multiplatform titles (console ports except for The Witcher 2 which was the other way around perhaps?)

    I know for a fact that FO3 worked on this old PC - as did Dirt 2 and AA so...

    errrrr - for pure "Looks" Crysis II, Far Cry II, Just Cause II?

    if you like racers, the last NFS could melt almost any PC you could throw it at too :)

  5. #5
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    55
    So do you have a good computer now? :D

  6. #6
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'm curious as to what you consider 'modern games' - it's just I have an old PC here I use for testing stuff and it will play a lot of 'modern games' just fine, using ancient tech.

    The only things I can think of which can't play anything remotely 'modern' are older Netbooks really!?

    Mashakos's list is interesting - they're ALL multiplatform titles (console ports except for The Witcher 2 which was the other way around perhaps?)

    I know for a fact that FO3 worked on this old PC - as did Dirt 2 and AA so...

    errrrr - for pure "Looks" Crysis II, Far Cry II, Just Cause II?

    if you like racers, the last NFS could melt almost any PC you could throw it at too :)
    Athlon 64 2500+; single core 1.8ghz processor. Couldn't play Oblivion or Fallout 3 at any resolution, despite having a relatively good graphics card!
    My smartphone was more powerful >.>

    Played TW2, F3, F:NV, SoaSE, Civ 5, ME. DS3, Metro 2033 and BL2 look good (though I'll need a co-op buddy for BL2!)

  7. #7
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    900
    My top list from 2007 on
    Gameplay:
    Portal 1 and Portal 2 (every person on the planet has to have played the coop campaign in portal 2 once during their life)
    Just cause 2
    Renegade ops
    Dawn of war II
    Left4Dead
    Planetside 2 (beta, f2p)
    World of tanks (f2p)
    Tribes : ascend (f2p)

    Story/atmosphere:
    Alan wake
    Stalker COP with complete mod
    Witcher and witcher 2
    Mafia 2


    B grade stuff that is still entertaining:

    Binary domain
    Section 8: prejudice (battlefield meets halo)
    Super monday night combat (f2p)
    Borderlands 2
    Sleeping dogs
    Prototype 1
    Saints row 3
    Darksiders 2
    Section 8: prejudice
    Red faction guerrilla and red faction armageddon (first is a very janky gta-like with a lot of flaws but has its charm, second is a linear shooter but more true to the original red faction, and imo with far better gameplay)

    Leaving out indie and graphically not demanding games since I assume you've already played those on your old pc.

    tip: avoid ubisoft...
    Poor ports, bugs and issues guaranteed.

    edit: forgot to recommend deux ex : human revolution.
    A remake that is actually good, who'd 've thunk.
    Last edited by Finicky; 06-10-2012 at 05:12 AM.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,222
    Trine 2 is fucking beautiful looking. Sorry for swearing, but it really is.

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Trine 2 is fucking beautiful looking. Sorry for swearing, but it really is.
    It's an extremely dull game though.

    Played through portal 2 with a friend and we were all fired up for more coop and both bought trine 2 , BLEH x 100

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    If you really want to push your PC:
    EDIT: Get GTA 4 first! (keep it patched to 1.0.4.0 and don't update further, mods depend on it)
    ICEnHancer 2.1
    all the neophyte HD texture packs
    extended car pack
    mustang shelby gt500 mod

    (you will also need xliveless and trafficload)

    The result?












    Last edited by mashakos; 06-10-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    It's an extremely dull game though.

    Played through portal 2 with a friend and we were all fired up for more coop and both bought trine 2 , BLEH x 100
    I disagree. It's not dull at all. Its just a very different co-op experience than portal 2.

    The packages Mashakos linked for GTA are a stunning achievement of what can actually be achieved on PCs when consoles don't get in the way.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    tip: avoid ubisoft...
    Poor ports, bugs and issues guaranteed.
    I don't think that's fair. Sure, the older titles have numerous DRM issues and require some time to figure out all the workarounds, but this generation has seen remarkable improvements. From Dust was considered a bad port because it was locked at 30fps - but it still played and looked better than the console versions. Every other title I own from Ubisoft is a stunning multi-platform title: Assassin's Creed (1+2), H.A.W.X, Shawn White Snowboarding, Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Driver: San Fransisco etc. etc.

    EDIT: The only thing I would agree with you is to not buy a Ubisoft title at launch because of their ongoing DRM experiments.

    The OP has already listed a few Ubisoft titles he liked so....
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    I don't think that's fair. Sure, the older titles have numerous DRM issues and require some time to figure out all the workarounds, but this generation has seen remarkable improvements. From Dust was considered a bad port because it was locked at 30fps - but it still played and looked better than the console versions. Every other title I own from Ubisoft is a stunning multi-platform title: Assassin's Creed (1+2), H.A.W.X, Shawn White Snowboarding, Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Driver: San Fransisco etc. etc.

    EDIT: The only thing I would agree with you is to not buy a Ubisoft title at launch because of their ongoing DRM experiments.

    The OP has already listed a few Ubisoft titles he liked so....
    I'm playing driver san francisco at 1300x900 (or something around that) at 30 fps ...
    I had to edit an ini to get my driving force gt to "work " (no force feedback support, incredibly akward and bad map/shift mechanic controls)...
    The wheel works with every other racing game out there, even the few that don't support FFB are otherwise fully supported.

    Almost every ubisoft game (including from dust and rayman) has no support for any framerates other than 60.
    My 1600x1200 @ 75/85 hz monitor works flawlessly in literally (seriously) every non-ubisoift game out there. (read this long and hard before you respond)
    In ubisoft games (again including rayman which is a 2d game) I have to play in a low resolution and scale the input, because ubisoft is the ONLY dev out there that refuses to support anything but 60hz output.

    Ubisoft does the absolutely bare minimum (if even) amount of work to get their games to run on pc.
    That ranges from framerate to graphics settings, resolutions, key configurations etc etc .
    If you have any kind of unconventional (very wide definition for ubisoft since even a logitech driving force gt is unconventional to them) hardware now or in the future you are out of luck.
    They don't polish their games nor test them for anything but the most common set up.

    They are by far the company that puts in the least effort of all (which is saying a lot).
    From my experience ubisoft will introduce you to all kinds of new and exciting issues that you never even knew existed before!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •