Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar

Lightbulb Nalano's Guide to Pew Pew Pew

4k crits on basic attacks. 14k damage on Rapid Fire. You too can be a glass cannon, in one easy step!

Highlights:

Traits.

Steady Focus/Strength of Spirit
    - Because pew pew pew.

Piercing Arrows - Because Column Shot.

Signet of the Beastmaster - Because thieves and their frontloaded shit. Beastmaster plus Signet of Stone equals six seconds of lolpewpew.

Quick Draw - Because Rapid Fire.

Companion's Might/Carniverous Appetite - Because PvE.

Gear.

BOW/bow
    - Because melee is for people who like to put themselves in danger. Not you! Your job is to kill people from any position that is inherently unfair, because you did not wear a helmet to school.

Berzerker - Because your pew pew pew should be PEW PEW PEW. Power/Precision/Crit Damage are cubic. Condition Damage is linear.

Superior Rune of the Scholar - Because your job is not to get hit. Your job is to hit other people. See: BOW/bow.

Superior Sigil of Fire - Because Fire Blast scales with Power, and 1.5k AoE procs every two seconds on top of pew pew pew are shorthand for funtiemz.

Superior Sigil of Blood - Because if you're using bow instead of BOW, you're trying to not die.

Strategy.

Good:
    You . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Them

If you find yourself in this position more often than not, consider swapping Signet of Renewal for Signet of the Hunt to chase stragglers slightly easier.

Bad: You . . . . Them

If you find yourself in this position more often than not, consider swapping Take Root for Entangle to escape pursuers slightly easier.

Lowlights:

You are a selfish, selfish bitch.
    Last edited by Nalano; 26-09-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I must say, I do not like Glass Cannon builds, but I'd like to give this a try as soon as my Ranger hits WvWvW levels (i.e. above 70). Thanks!

This is very similar to the first build I made. Sharing the abilities of your pet seems very good.

Comments: Steady Focus over Signet Mastery? I don't find my endurance full that often - though I have been running Short Bow + Axe/Horn so maybe the knockback and slow down on Longbow serves.

I have been running a more survivable with Lightning Reflexes, Quickening Zephyr and Rampage as One. Seems to work pretty well.

I also run the area healing which is helpful too.

Not sure which is better but I might give this one a go next time I play.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I must say, I do not like Glass Cannon builds, but I'd like to give this a try as soon as my Ranger hits WvWvW levels (i.e. above 70). Thanks!
    WvWvW levels are ten and up! Get in there its great fun and a quick way to make money and level.

I wouldn't run that in WvW anyway since you need speed boosts really. Maybe if you are with the Zerg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    This is very similar to the first build I made. Sharing the abilities of your pet seems very good.

Comments: Steady Focus over Signet Mastery? I don't find my endurance full that often - though I have been running Short Bow + Axe/Horn so maybe the knockback and slow down on Longbow serves.

I have been running a more survivable with Lightning Reflexes, Quickening Zephyr and Rampage as One. Seems to work pretty well.

I also run the area healing which is helpful too.

Not sure which is better but I might give this one a go next time I play.
    Clearly yours is a different playstyle.

Mine is a walking, talking turret.

Yours is a thief-wannabe.

Following is a graphical depiction of how the two differ on the battlefield:

Me . . [Zerg] . . . . . . . . . . Target

. . . . .[ZeYourg] . . . . . . . Target

I do best when I am not targeted or when it is disadvantageous to target me specifically. You might recognize my playstyle if you have ever spent time in Alterac Valley.

On offense, I am trailing the group and providing fire support. On defense, I am on the walls making life hard for the people who think with their swords. I can do 1v1 fine, and up to 3v1 if I get the first shot in, because I can bring a noob down fast. But mine is not to mix it up in the center.

Meatshields are made for that purpose. My personal meatshields are my pets, a sword/torch Guardian and a pistol/pistol Thief.

WvWvW levels are ten and up! Get in there its great fun and a quick way to make money and level.

I wouldn't run that in WvW anyway since you need speed boosts really. Maybe if you are with the Zerg.
    I love up-leveled targets. They fall down and die in one Rapid Fire volley.
    Last edited by Nalano; 26-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

My greatword warrior loves these little squishy rangers which are stacked with precision.

Immobolize + 'Hundred Blades' = free haircut for ranger.*

*I am not responsible for any personal injury resulting from your haircut. No refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    My greatword warrior loves these little squishy rangers which are stacked with precision.

Immobolize + 'Hundred Blades' = free haircut for ranger.*

*I am not responsible for any personal injury resulting from your haircut. No refunds.
    I was in a 3v7 against Crystal Desert around a supply camp in the Eternal Battlegrounds last night. The greatsword Warrior was the first to attack me. The greatsword Warrior was the first to die. He even hit Vengeance. It was so cute.

The reason for this was because:

a) He had to run past two people to get to me.
    b) Signet of Renewal is a CC-breaker.
    c) I have a stun, a slow, a knockdown, a knockback, two immobilizes, and an escape.
    Last edited by Nalano; 26-09-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I thought it was an sPvP build not WvW.

I tend to be in small raiding parties in WvW so I don't have a mob to hide behind.

Its basically my sPvP, PvE and WvW build. It works so I am happy but I will give the Glass Cannon a go as I say.

I thought it was an sPvP build not WvW.

I tend to be in small raiding parties in WvW so I don't have a mob to hide behind.
    I don't do sPvP. WvW if you get hit by the enemy mob, there ain't no spec in the world that's gonna save you.

That said, I prefer small unit tactics in WvW because people stick around long enough to be shot dead. My crew of 3 to 7 basically cap supply camps, beat up stragglers and blow up errant siege weapons when we're not assisting the zerg.
    Last edited by Nalano; 26-09-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Is this build also viable in PvE/dungeons? Do you use Longbow and Short bow?
    Last edited by starmatt; 27-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by starmatt View Post
    Is this build also viable in PvE/dungeons? Do you use Longbow and Short bow?
    Almost every build is viable in dungeons.

I do indeed use BOW/bow.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I was in a 3v7 against Crystal Desert around a supply camp in the Eternal Battlegrounds last night. The greatsword Warrior was the first to attack me. The greatsword Warrior was the first to die. He even hit Vengeance. It was so cute.

The reason for this was because:

a) He had to run past two people to get to me.
    b) Signet of Renewal is a CC-breaker.
    c) I have a stun, a slow, a knockdown, a knockback, two immobilizes, and an escape.
    He must have been specced for PvE or had some things on cooldown because the greatsword pvp spec has atleast 2 immobolize breakers on the weapon skills, two utility skills giving 8 seconds of stability each and a 1100 range charge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I don't really make a very good glass canon (and I like the occasional melee), so the build I'm aiming for currently looks like this

so I'd swap Signet of the Beastmaster for Eagle eye, because of the distance & damage
    Superior Rune of the Scholar for Eagle because I need the precision
    Soldiers jewels to increase longevity at close range
    and Sigil of Superior Hydromacy for that extra attack when they get to you.

Also as a Norn I don't have take root as an elite skill, but can turn into a bear.

Almost every build is viable in dungeons.

I do indeed use BOW/bow.
    Man, I never even thought of doing that. I was looking for something new with my Ranger cause I was starting to get bored with my greatsword which didn't work very well in most pvp situations.
    Steam

Man, I never even thought of doing that. I was looking for something new with my Ranger cause I was starting to get bored with my greatsword which didn't work very well in most pvp situations.
    Oh yeah, if I'm in melee in WvW, I'm doing something wrong. I mean, 1h sword is fun and funny what with all the leaping back and forth, but I confuse myself as much as the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    He must have been specced for PvE or had some things on cooldown because the greatsword pvp spec has atleast 2 immobolize breakers on the weapon skills, two utility skills giving 8 seconds of stability each and a 1100 range charge.
    Not a clue. Not that it matters; pristine battlefield conditions are few and far between.

I just spent six hours last night in the Eternal Battlegrounds as Jade Quarry, fighting Dragonbrand and Crystal Desert. It was lulzworthy at times, as JQ held everything at one point and I spent an hour defending DB's keep from DB's zerg, which was primarily composed of a Brazilian zerg guild. Holy shit did that zerg get murdered fast. Every time I fell three of them in one volley, I felt like this:

Killing people who tried to rez their buddies and then killing people who tried to rez them... pushing DB back from their own keep to a nearby tower only to see CD beating on the door, and then wiping a three-way battle and taking the tower from both of them. Mumble was basically KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT interspersed with laughter. Got 700 kills in under two hours, 1000 over the whole evening.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Got 700 kills in under two hours, 1000 over the whole evening.
    Damn, I so need to spend some time on EB.

What gear do you have? I barely do 1k crit damage with my longbow, but then I have shitty gear
    Steam

What gear do you have? I barely do 1k crit damage with my longbow, but then I have shitty gear
    Full Exotic "Berserker X of the Scholar" armor
    Full Exotic "Berserker X of the Berserker" jewelry
    Exotic Berserker bows, one of Fire, one of Blood
    Exotic Berserker underwater weapons, one of Fire, one of Blood

For those who are unaware, Berserker as a prefix means the base armor stats are Power, Precision and Critical Damage in descending order. Berserker as a suffix means the upgrade slot item has the same stats in the same order.

Scholar as a suffix means Power, Crit Damage, and a 10% Damage buff when you're at full health.

A more prudent offensive set would likely be Knight X of the Knight, as Knight gear has Power, Precision and Toughness in descending order. However, you are trading large numbers for not being hit as hard, and to me the best defense is a good offense.
    Last edited by Nalano; 28-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Interesting
    What about your traits, how much points did you put in what?
    Steam

Interesting
    What about your traits, how much points did you put in what?
    They're linked in the OP, y'know.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl