Lesser Hivemind Node MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found

Temples, champion bosses, map walkthroughs and the api

So I was chatting with Jarn aboot the temples last night and the fact that no one seems to say - yeah I'm doing the <name> temple when it is listed as "active" on the api. Is the overall loot drop so much less when factoring in time and effort or is it just hard and requires a solid combined effort?

Can a more knowledgeable chappy or chappess tell us the great mass of noobs whether there are indeed benefits to them? Guessing there might be map elements you only get from them or would they already be taken as part of the general walkaround which brings me round to a suggestion that perhaps we (RPSignet) loosely put together a schedule of map walkaround times (like we did for dukes 100%) but in more general terms.

A few of us were doing firelands last night and it just makes it actually so much more fun to do - especially when on mumble too that it removes any element of grind and you can then actually get a lot of enjoyment. But was wondering whether a layer of organisation of mondays are Krytan, tuesday is Maguma etc. would be good; you can leave the detail to the wanderers themselves but it allows for people to potentially plan going I need a chunk of maguma and I will be free tuesday so will actually try and find the rpsers and do some group map clearing...

It would be self organising I would have thought after the initial outlay of map area per day decision - nothing will ever work for everyone but if there is a backbone to work from it should fit the majority usefully.

So back to the temples and whether if they are larger scale events we should plan more in as we can do some serious damage as we mill about post guild challenges/rushes etc so plan to hit things deliberately for the lot too?

There are enough level heads to self manage if the nudge is blackboarded for all to see?

For lower level characters/alts/noobies being assisted by some big butch down levelled 80's can make a very positive difference plus there is always the loot - its all about the loot! and bananas

brain is a go go today
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

For low-level play, we had great success with the group-hug events (scan the forums for these threads) in the past. However, most people I have encountered prefer to take it slowly when new to the game / on a low level character. For higher level areas, sure, just make up your mind and start organizing. Not sure if a set schedule would help, since the week is already pretty full with "routine" events.

Concerning Temples: Those probably aren't - for once - all about the loot, but more for the items you can get from the merchants that become accessible once the temples are cleared. We would surely manage to clear a temple or two (Melandru, maybe Dwayna), but stuff like Grenth and Balth are out of our reach (if on our own).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    re temples, not sure I agree squirrel - as you can guest on servers if all you want is the items from a cleared temple most of the time you can find a server to get them from (the open temples are listed at www.gw2bear.com and probably elsewhere). The loot is as good as any other meta event (guaranteed rare) although they do take longer - often good to port to if on the final phase, but i agree that 10 folk from RPS alone may not do the temples.

Monkey - more focus to mapping/levelling/dailies would be good - I usually do dailies solo on my alts, and it would be faster/more fun if this was done in a group. Only caveat is that this is the sort of activity that can be done alone, and if we get a group of 5 usually better to do a dungeon...
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    and if we get a group of 5 usually better to do a dungeon...
    Hmmm, I don't see better, I see it being more efficient if you view it in terms of time availability and time spent, but better is too subjective i think.

to me what you've implied is that it is predominantly about the grind (of dungeons for specific tokens etc) when you have the chance, not just still doing what you wanted to - ie explore but with others? Perhaps we should actually try to be a little less precious about our time playing it? Yes it might take a week or two longer to get that armour piece/set but what might you have gained? </overlyphilosophical>
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    re temples, not sure I agree squirrel - as you can guest on servers if all you want is the items from a cleared temple most of the time you can find a server to get them from (the open temples are listed at www.gw2bear.com and probably elsewhere). The loot is as good as any other meta event (guaranteed rare) although they do take longer - often good to port to if on the final phase, but i agree that 10 folk from RPS alone may not do the temples.
    That's basically what I wanted to say. Temples take too long / too much effort to make them profitable just for the rare. Keep in mind, these events can actually fail, in contrast to the world boss events. Also, someone has to clear the temples to make them accessible and I would bet Rhea's Greatsword that most people aren't doing those events for the loot. Maybe for the karma, but that is most likely a thing of the past.

Edit: @Monkey: I kind of agree, I really don't want to pressure myself grinding for something, at least not all the time. Token farming can be alright if you're shooting for that one weapon or cool looking helm though. Funny that you should mention this aspect of the game, I always had the impression that you're a guy who's main focus is teh fat l00tz.
    Last edited by Squiz; 04-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Funny that you should mention this aspect of the game, I always had the impression that you're a guy who's main focus is teh fat l00tz.
    Really, is that because I spraff on the odd forum post about the lute? But to answer your point I am a social gamer in that aspect with the caveat of to enjoy the game along side the people I enjoy playing alongside I need to have good enough kit to survive longer than a chocolate teapot in a sauna. So I will loot up to get where I want my character to be and then likely just come along for camaraderie...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    sorry Monkey - didn't express myself well. By better I was purely talking about my personal preference - I enjoy the instanced dungeon/fractals a bit more than the open worldcontent, and having limited time in game due to work/family and an irrational fear of playing with Pugs my chance to do so is often limited, hence I jump at the chance when there are 4 others around who want to do so. Its not at all about the grind, and particularly not the tokens - "with the exception of the odd ascended trinket all my toons are "looted up" to where they need to be) more about doing stuff I enjoy and achieving certain goals. That said, doing anything in guild/with friends with mumble on is far more fun than I had expected coming from a background of solo RPG games going back decades
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Sorry Monkey, I hope I didn't insult you in some way. It's just because I always hear you mumbling world event timers while playing. No offense intended! It's great to have you chattering on Mumble.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    I heard there's a chance of a precursor when you do temples, that might attract some of us
    I personally am sad that southsun cove now doesn't attract people since the story. That Karka Queen can still be activated and I'd love to kick her bum from time to time.
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Sorry Monkey, I hope I didn't insult you in some way. It's just because I always hear you mumbling world event timers while playing. No offense intended! It's great to have you chattering on Mumble.
    Heh heh, yeah that is to grind tbh to get yellows to either sell for gold for gems to then buy bank and bag slots or to salvage for globs to craft exotics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    There used to be a server wide weekly event that conquered all the temples except Balhazar (there was a separate one for that), I don't know if they still happen but were quite popular. However interest in them may have waned since being able to get guaranteed rares from easier/shorter events.

As for the area completion stuff, I would refer the honourable gentleman to the group hug event thread, but since Squirrel has already done it I won't bother.

What I would say, and hope that Squirrel and the other Paw's don't disagree too much, that as this is essentially a casual guild we don't want to much structure around what happens, having events is great; but they need to be led as much as possible by the people in the guild rather than the people who administer it; a small but important distinction. I would throw up 2 examples of that as 'manveruppd' organising a weekly PvP run and 'Jarnade' doing the same thing in WvW.

So in summary, if you want to try and clear an area for world completion or to level an alt. Stick a post in the forum and we'll punt it around Steam/Twitter/Guild Events thread so people can pitch up.
    Last edited by hawksbane; 04-07-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Well said hawksbane, and I fully agree. I'll definitely try to come along with anyone interested in doing a bit of world exploration, be it on a freshly created or level 80 character. Just post something or ask in /g chat.