Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Obscure Node

(Not so) Structured PvP shenanigans

So there's been some talk about getting a group for sPvP going, but nothing really happened yet. That's a shame, because GW2's PvP has everything you'd ever want from a multiplayer game: teamplay, cooperation, grand team battles, close and personal duels, desperate skirmishes against impossible odds, glorious comebacks from the brink of defeat...

...unless you play on a public server, that is. Then it's mostly zerging.

There's an easy solution for that problem though: do tournaments. Tournaments are amazing for these reasons:

1. You can join as a group. Yes, you can actually ensure that you're in the same team!
    2. They are 5v5 instead of 8v8, so the maps aren't as cramped.
    3. People actually care about the tactics.
    4. If you win one or more matches, you get a chest with free stuff. Who doesn't like free stuff?

So the idea of this post, after this gratuitious introduction, was to get people together to do tournaments. If you've got PvP experience, good. If you've got no PvP experience, even better! You'll receive a warm (and bloody, but mostly warm) welcome in the fields of battle.

What can I expect?

You'll die. A lot. You'll curse at mesmers. And thieves. And that sodding trebuchet. But as the old saying goes, PvP is "easy to learn, hard to master". You'll improve. And winning your first tornament match feels glorious.

What will we do? How do we get started?

Just message me either ingame (algolicious.9065), on Steam or in this thread. If you're interested, tell me your account name (the thingy with the 4 numbers at the end) and when you're available. If enough people are interested, we can turn this into a weekly event. Like, one evening of casual PvP funs.

I've never done PvP before! I'm intimidated!

AS YOU SHOULD BE.
    On a more serious note, no worries. We are playing for fun. Winning is just an occasional, pleasant side product. No one is going to yell at you for making mistakes.

Hope to see you in the game!
    Last edited by algolicious; 27-09-2012 at 12:48 AM.

I'd definitely be up for this, the SPvP is really great in GW2 and if you haven't tried it out yet you really should.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I'm in, slightly experienced at non tourney spvp with my engy and warrior (favouring engy atm for tricks and shenanigans).

I should be available most evenings though my net connection isn't the best and on some days I'll unexpectedly have too bad latency to play properly (as well as what little social life I have left).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    I've not tried sPvP yet (and am inexperienced at PvP in general) -- but weekly casual games with RPS types sounds like a great way to break into it, so I'd be up for this! I'm available most (UK) evenings from approx 7pm-11pm.

Obscure Node
    Just noticed that I completely forgot something - It'll be much easier if you add your account names to your post, so we can add each other easily and see when everyone's online. (Account names are just GW2's way of handling the friends list. I'm not trying to steal your accounts or anything. Probably.)

Quote Originally Posted by algolicious View Post
    Just noticed that I completely forgot something - It'll be much easier if you add your account names to your post, so we can add each other easily and see when everyone's online. (Account names are just GW2's way of handling the friends list. I'm not trying to steal your accounts or anything. Probably.)
    Oops, I meant to put that in my previous post and then forgot. I'm cbabd.8053.

Tried PvP a couple of nights ago and haven't looked back, for me it seems like it's what the game was made for.

Edit: name is Bobby Fizz.5706 (something feels very compuserve about these account names, anyone else that ancient here?). Feel free to add me and have a chat, I also have mumble etc.
    Last edited by BobbyFizz; 27-09-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFizz View Post
    Tried PvP a couple of nights ago and haven't looked back, for me it seems like it's what the game was made for.
    Absolutely, it was the heart of GW1 and the same is true here.

Network Hub
    I'd be up for some sPvP. Ritashi plus some numbers I can't remember atm, I can be found through the guild if all else fails and I forget to edit this post later.

This is great. I tried sPvP with random people but was really disappointed. I feel like playing with people I (kinda) know would be much better! starmatt.7851
    Steam

Obscure Node
    Count me in, hopefully. I keep weird hours, but can probably arrange to be awake for whenever this happens. My account is Blaaaaaaag. That's got 7 a's, and then a 7480 after it. In-game, I'm the one called Anne.

acc. is apricotsoup.something

Naissa Lsand is the char I've been playing the most lately.

My account name is Labbes.5678 and the char I play for PvP is a mesmer going by Kiran Aldor.

Pretty sure you can use character names. Lightbulb R

Add me I am well up for this.

Network Hub
    Just played the first three tournament games. I don't know if winning that third match was that glorious since, lacking guarians, they were in a whole different league than the opponents in the first two. Still, had a blast.

Same, was a shame my net chose that time to crap out so we couldn't continue the winning roll with that team.

Well up for a bit more soon though. Will take a look at builds a little more as well and maybe even cave in and experiment with a guardian.

Yeh it was really fun, looking forward to the next time!

Obscure Node
    (big brain dump incoming)

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who has participated in our little event tonight! It was amazingly fun, even though we got wrecked most of the time. In all honesty, this went way better than I'd hoped, considering this was the first time most of us played together. Looking forward to more with you.

Secondly, while I'm trying to keep track of everyone who's messaged me so far (I'm pretty sure I've added you all to my contact list now), I might've missed one or two people this evening. I'm sorry for that, and I'll try to think of an alternative to tournaments next time we get more than 5 people together. Getting on a public server works, but it's not optimal.

Another thing that just came to my mind. Mumble. It's mandatory. Really. We might not be super hardcore PvP senseis, but communication is always valuable in multiplayer games. I know everyone on our team was on Mumble tonight (that's part of the reason it went so great!), I'm just saying. Generally. If you haven't downloaded Mumble yet, you should.

Now for another, less pleasant topic:

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    ...guardian.
    Eugh. In my rather unreliable opinion, you shouldn't. They are overrated. An engineer can be built to be just as tanky, with the same amount of CC and more condition damage. So can an elementalist. Or Necromancer. Or Mesmer. Or even a warrior. I don't want to put you off the class, if that's what you want to play. But we shouldn't all jump on the "omagahd guardians are immortal" bandwagon until we've played more tournaments, or rather, we're more experienced in killing guardians. They should have a weak point somewhere. hopefully

Also, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT I DON'T EVEN

(That was one of the teams we played against later tonight. The characters all looked the same, of course. All asuras. That's probably the stuff Tim Burton dreams about when he has a fever. Needless to say, we lost that game.)

(big brain dump incoming)
    Another thing that just came to my mind. Mumble. It's mandatory. Really. We might not be super hardcore PvP senseis, but communication is always valuable in multiplayer games. I know everyone on our team was on Mumble tonight (that's part of the reason it went so great!), I'm just saying. Generally. If you haven't downloaded Mumble yet, you should.
    I've gotten Mumble set up now, so should be able to be more communicative the next time I play. Had fun last night, thanks all

Massive fun last night. I think we had some pretty good matches even after we were down to 3, with the "roaming guardian" and the other mesmer.

WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT I DON'T EVEN

(That was one of the teams we played against later tonight. The characters all looked the same, of course. All asuras. That's probably the stuff Tim Burton dreams about when he has a fever. Needless to say, we lost that game.)
    Worst part about it is that we lost because of the damned ranger soloing what shouldn't be soloable. The mesmers added chaos, but we were ahead in score. The answer to that sea of clones was simple... aoe. I have one phantasm that whirls around and it absolutely mowed down their illusions every time.