Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    180

    Suggestions for an MMO noob?

    So I'm considering trying an MMO for the first time. I've shied away from these games because, frankly, I never trusted myself to not become hyper-addicted. I've finally decided to tempt fate and check it out.

    Some parameters:
    • I like fantasy settings, but slightly prefer sci-fi or post-apocalyptic (Secret World looks really interesting).
    • NOT interested in WOW
    • Free-to-play is not necessarily a requirement. I'll spend money on it if I like it, but I just hate to buy the game + subscription just to try something out.
    • Favorite types of gameplay are action-rpg. I really enjoy mechanics like in Devil May Cry. Also, loot grinds like Torchlight, Diablo, etc.
    • Would prefer a game with more adult settings and environments, in terms of violence and content.
    • I hate ridiculous over-sexualization in games (i.e., Tera).
    • Hate PVP, like co-op.


    Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Guild Wars 2 is probably a perfect fit

    Fantasy, but the Asura are a mixture of magic and tech.
    No subscription
    It isn't a full action RPG, but it is more actiony than the standard WoW format (position matters a lot). For some builds, you can probably play with a gamepad
    It is far from "mature"
    From what I have seen, most female armor isn't overly sexualized. But I've mostly been hanging out in the land of the crazy rabbity midgets and the walking plants, so who knows how bad the Norn are.
    There is a VERY heavy emphasis on PvE co-op.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is probably a perfect fit
    What he said.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    Don't. Play Dota/LoL instead.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,412
    Check out LOTRO. It is f2p but it's not bad with how it works. The story and quests are as good as any of that (this?) generation of MMORPG. If you don't like it, no loss.
    https://signup.lotro.com/lotro.php?f...=55_1347992075

  6. #6
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    249
    EVE Online? :)

    Sort of joking, but its reputation is worse than the game actually is towards new players. And getting in a good corp (of which there are some) is a really nice experience.

    But as you do not want PvP, from all I've read (haven't actually played it) then Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World (might want to wait for it to go F2P) seem like good choices.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,560
    Both Guild Wars 2 and EvE have active RPS groups. Former has it's own subforum, for the latter you have to do a bit of digging to find the thread.

  8. #8
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Don't. Play Dota/LoL instead.
    I suck at strategy and I don't want a PvP format. Kinda disqualifies a MOBA for consideration, doesn't it?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Another option if your dislike of WoW is about Blizzard and not the gameplay: The Old Republic (which should be F2P shortly). It mostly flopped because it was a carbon copy of WoW that heavily favored solo and small party gameplay.

    Sci-Fi/Fantasy to the extent of "its Star Wars"
    Basically WoW, but different tileset and better writing
    F2P
    Not an ARPG
    Bioware levels of "maturity"
    Again, not obscene levels of sexualization
    PvP is complete crap, PvE has a decent system set up for finding parties these days.
    Last edited by gundato; 18-09-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  10. #10
    If this is going to be your first MMO, I highly suggest you install City of Heroes as soon as possible and see how a fully functional and beloved MMO operates before it shuts down. Then spend the rest of your life wondering why the hell other MMOs don't have features found in CoH that it'd consider "standard".

  11. #11
    Lesser Hivemind Node ado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    645
    As someone who has played different MMOs for years my advice is don't play MMOs.

    They're the least rewarding and the most time wasting games I've ever played. And I am an idiot that it took me years of time and god knows how much money to realize something that simple.
    steam

    http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    As someone who has played different MMOs for years my advice is don't play MMOs.

    They're the least rewarding and the most time wasting games I've ever played. And I am an idiot that it took me years of time and god knows how much money to realize something that simple.
    Games are time wasters. That's kinda the point of them. In that sense, MMOs are the best games ever.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    D&D online might be a good choice. It's a really neat game where most classes have a distinct role and the dungeons have a really great feel.

  14. #14
    Lesser Hivemind Node ado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Games are time wasters. That's kinda the point of them. In that sense, MMOs are the best games ever.
    Depends what you quantify under wasting time. For me a lot of games actually are not a waste of time. Like Minecraft many would say is a waste of time but not for me. I build shit in that game, and anything that lets me be creative is not a waste of time for me. Or Portal, I get to experience a emotionally engaging story and have fun solving puzzles. That's not a waste of time for me.

    On the other hand 99% of time spent in an MMO is an absolute waste of time, chasing a carrot on a stick. The 1% that isn't a waste goes to the social aspects, which are almost non-existent in most MMOs (EVE is the great exception).
    steam

    http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,412
    Yeah D&D is good, also. It's basically the same thing as LOTRO as far as the f2p pricing.

  16. #16
    Network Hub Raaritsgozilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    327
    I am considering getting back into an MMO during my summer holidays, and dont want to play WoW again (cause it costs money). Maybe I will play GW2

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Depends what you quantify under wasting time. For me a lot of games actually are not a waste of time. Like Minecraft many would say is a waste of time but not for me. I build shit in that game, and anything that lets me be creative is not a waste of time for me. Or Portal, I get to experience a emotionally engaging story and have fun solving puzzles. That's not a waste of time for me.
    I like certain TV shows. I think watching Jon Stewart is gratifying. But I am most certainly not productive during that time.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #18
    Lesser Hivemind Node ado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I like certain TV shows. I think watching Jon Stewart is gratifying. But I am most certainly not productive during that time.
    I get that, but you wouldn't say that reading a good book is a waste of time? Or watching a good movie is a waste of time? For me it's not. Shit some movies and books have contributed greatly to my life, much more than a lot of people I know. And same goes for good games. And none of those games are MMOs.

    In fact I'd say that the MMOs have taken from me way more than any book, or movie or other type of game ever could.
    steam

    http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Realm of the Mad God is a co-op fantasy mmo shooter. It's free to play. It's a mix of MMO and a shooter game - action is very fast and twitchy. There's even autofire !

    http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

    What I especially like about the game is that most monsters behave uniquely and you can recognize them on minimap by the way the dot moves.

    It's always thrilling, because there's permadeath. You can't prevent it, but you can mitigate it by stashing good items for your future class.
    pass

  20. #20
    Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    So I'm considering trying an MMO for the first time. I've shied away from these games because, frankly, I never trusted myself to not become hyper-addicted. I've finally decided to tempt fate and check it out.

    Some parameters:
    • I like fantasy settings, but slightly prefer sci-fi or post-apocalyptic (Secret World looks really interesting).
    • NOT interested in WOW
    • Free-to-play is not necessarily a requirement. I'll spend money on it if I like it, but I just hate to buy the game + subscription just to try something out.
    • Favorite types of gameplay are action-rpg. I really enjoy mechanics like in Devil May Cry. Also, loot grinds like Torchlight, Diablo, etc.
    • Would prefer a game with more adult settings and environments, in terms of violence and content.
    • I hate ridiculous over-sexualization in games (i.e., Tera).
    • Hate PVP, like co-op.


    Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    If you like adventure games, The Secret World fits the bill.

    They really should've marketed the game towards adventure game enthusiasts IMO.

    Also check out Fallen Earth and APB Reloaded.
    Last edited by Winged Nazgul; 18-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •