Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Space games!

Activated Node
    SPAZ is mildly diverting, if a bit grind heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    One space game I really enjoyed was Freelancer.

The mechanics are all fairly simple (no massive amounts of hassle), and you control a single ship rather than a fleet.
    Exploration, combat and trading are all viable. The Discovery mod also adds masses of content.
    Sadly it doesn't seem to be available on any DD store. One of my favourite space games ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Looks quite nice, but is the least like what the OP was asking for so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    One space game I really enjoyed was Freelancer.
    One of the ONLY space games I've enjoyed is Freelancer. The interface is accessible. Most things can be done with a mouse click and don't take five rotations of the sun to find. There's plenty of well-known voiceactors including femshep, a half decent conspiracy story, and plenty of systems to explore.

The interface in the X-Series is like a twenty foot impassable wall, and you've got nothing to break it down except your face.

I've bought all the X games, but haven't started any of them yet. Is story continuity important? Since the games seem pretty big it sounds like a bit of a hassle to play through the series. I guess my question basically comes down to whether it's okay to just jump into X3 directly?

Also, aren't there any UI mods available?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Anyone tried Galaxy on Fire 2?

Also...is it possible to see your ship in X3? Or is it cockpit/simulator view only?

I think X3 would be more fun if I could see the ship I fly, as in EVE. GoF looks like Evochron without the frustrating quirks. Thought I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I've bought all the X games, but haven't started any of them yet. Is story continuity important? Since the games seem pretty big it sounds like a bit of a hassle to play through the series. I guess my question basically comes down to whether it's okay to just jump into X3 directly?

Also, aren't there any UI mods available?
    I just jumped into X3. You start off wondering what the hell is going on, but if you go and read some of the stuff floating around on the internet you can pick it up pretty quickly.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I guess my question basically comes down to whether it's okay to just jump into X3 directly?
    Depends on whether you want a story or just a big sandbox to play in. The setting isnt that complicated (Spoilers, obviously), it's mostly iterations of "Race X invades":

X1 = Xenon (Rogue AI)
    X2 = Kha'ak (Worst possible name when all your voice-actors are Germans trying to speak English/Japanese English (In X, Japanese became the primary language on Earth))
    X3 = Terrans
    X3:TC = Terrans, still
    X3:AP = Terrans, again and again

I suggest you just play Albion Prelude - it has all the refinements of the previous X3 games. AI scripts (which are like mods in the X-series) like universe-wide automatic trader pilots, miners, fleets, etc, plus all ships from the previous games and some new stuff (Bombers and a new battleship for each manufacturer). It's even got most of the optional "plots" from the previous X3 games (Plots are like quests in X), but it's main strength is the huge sandbox you can play around in. Had lots of fun setting up supply routes, production chains and automated trading.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Spengbab View Post
    I suggest you just play Albion Prelude - it has all the refinements of the previous X3 games.
    I would agree with this. A few cautionary points if you're starting, though:

1. In Albion Prelude, part of the "plot" is the war going on in sectors around you, and it can be very difficult to get anything done in the large battles when you're starting out. Often you'll just be seriously outmatched, so if you enter a battle sector and can't see anything you can reasonably attack, just leave again. Or wait to see if your faction can start winning.

2. If you're struggling to understand how the game works, it's worth watching one or two let's plays of it on Youtube.

3. This is a GREAT reference for X3, even though it doesn't cover the Albion additions: http://apricotmappingservice.com/x3handbook.html. This is the one thing that kept me playing long enough to beat the learning curve.

4. Don't be afraid to cheat to get more money if you get bored or stuck by lack of funds.

Network Hub
    As far as adventure-y space games, here is what I would recommend:

1. Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters - It's a cross between an adventure game, RPG, shooter, and management sim. One of my favorite games ever.

2. Homeworld 1 - RTS that actually has an interesting plot. Some outdated mechanics you'll have to adjust to, but still fun.

3. Starflight 1 & 2 - Very early space sim and combat games with some really outdated mechanics, but really gives you the feel of discovery and accomplishment.

4. Independence War 2 - Space shooter with a feeling of an open world, and a few interesting plot points.

5. Transcendence - Free 2D space shooter action game with some roguelike qualities. Great sense of discovery in the different game systems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. the X-Games are a lot like the "annual shooters" in that there is no real reason to go back to an older version when a new one comes out. You miss out on the plot, but the gameplay (and the UI...) get better/more intuitive with every iteration.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.