Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

WHAT THE HELL?!! Politics Intervene Gaming Events!!

I dont pay much attentions to e-sport, and I confess that it's mainly due to my lack of skills in video games,which is not comparable with those pro gamers. My K/D ration is merely about 0.5 in Bad Company 2. But I guess I should and e-sport should be appreciated as other sports. Damn there are two recently planned tournaments in China cancelled because of the recent turmoils over the Sino-Japanese dispute over a stupid archipelago in East Pacific we called "Fishing Islands". I dont know the origin of the name, but sure a vast area in the ocean surrounding the islands provide a vast fishing resources I guess. Anyway, organizers of two Intel sponsored tournaments of Starcraft 2 and LOL have cancelled the events:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ng-tournaments

Damn, Damn, Damn!!! You god cursed politics, give us a break would you? Why can't you die just yet?! All we want is just to play some good games. Is that too much to ask?!

And neither Starcraft nor LOL is Japanese production. But hell a lot of incoming Japanese games I want to play. Dont stop me from playing Biohazard 6 (confirmed coming to PC in coming Nov, stupid time exclusivity for consoles again, that's the only thing I hate about Japanese, nothing political you see).
    Last edited by squirrel; 30-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.

As far as I know potential oil deposits are the main reason for this particular island dispute. Can't really blame the organizers for pulling out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Can't really blame the organizers for pulling out.
    No I am not blaming the organizers. They bear too much risk over this so they have no choice.

I am denouncing those starting all the unrest.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    As far as I know potential oil deposits are the main reason for this particular island dispute.

I suspect that if it was only that, rational minds would be able to come to an agreement. You can't get investors for a drilling project when there is a threat of a military strike after all.

This is far more messy I fear. While I don't subscribe to the idea that all nationalism is automatically bad, it is one hell of a dangerous toy to play with. There are leaders in both China and Japan who have played the nationalist card to get where they are, and couldn't back down now even if they wanted to, without risking their own positions.

To see it spill over into something as unrelated as computer games and e-sports is depressing. Problems like this should be ring-fenced off into their own little box, so they don't affect the great mass of the countries' relations with each other, without either side having to back down or lose face.

Not that a British person is in any position to lecture others on random-island-related nationalism... I guess it is easier to see the stupidity from the outside.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    If this fight comes to blows the impact on e-sports is going to seem pretty trivial

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    And neither Starcraft nor LOL is Japanese production.
    The problem is that IEM weren't hosting the event themselves, they were holding the tournament at an anime convention. Holding an anime convention in China isn't very safe at the moment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    The problem is that IEM weren't hosting the event themselves, they were holding the tournament at an anime convention. Holding an anime convention in China isn't very safe at the moment.
    And why would that be?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Because to the common perception, anime = Japanese. Japanese things aren't very safe in China at the moment.

Banned
    I realize that most asian countries hate each other's guts with a passion but to go as far? I am impressed, china strong.

To be fair, anime IS japanese. Everywhere else, its called animated series :D

American anime doesnt count.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    American anime doesnt count.
    What about Franime?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I realize that most asian countries hate each other's guts with a passion but to go as far? I am impressed, china strong.
    Not only are Japanese companies being targeted and being vandalized or burned down, Japanese families are being targeted, and there have been lots of reports of Japanese cars being burned out in the street. Setting fire to a car that probably belongs to someone from China, because it was made by a Japanese company.

They're on the brink of war, and the Chinese population genuinely seem to hate anything Japanese.

We're not talking about some dirty looks or peaceful protests.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    What about Franime?
    >TV show based on Wakfu

Someone stop the world, I'm getting off

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    They're on the brink of war, and the Chinese population genuinely seem to hate anything Japanese.

We're not talking about some dirty looks or peaceful protests.
    On the brink of war might be a bit exaggerated, as both governments most likely won't let it come to that (there's little to gain and much to loose). Some politicians do however benefit from the nationalistic riots and pandering to anti-japanese sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Well, considering Japan's actions during the Sino-Japanese War and WW2 when they occupied much of eastern and southern Asia, there's a lot of hatred still well and alive in a lot of countries. Also, unlike post-WW2 Germany, Japan didn't strive for reconciliation and cooperation with its neighbours to the same degree, so old grudges and prejudices never really healed as they (mostly) did in Europe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Japan couldn't even fight a war against China, we'd have to fight it for them. Which won't happen.

Banned
    Frankly the Chinese government need to put their house in order and diffuse internal tensions. Admittedly the Japanese don't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to race relations, but China need to educate their citizenry and bring them into the 20th century. This historical baggage situation is /facepalm

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
    Who's "we"?
    Who do you think?

Banned
    Chinese government has a history of using nationalism to allow the people to vent their frustrations at something that isn't the one-party state. They will sit back and let the anti-japanese sentiments happen but you can be sure that as soon as someone even mentions democracy the protests will be shut down and most participants arrested in less than 24 hours.

Social engineering brah. They're pretty damn good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Frankly the Chinese government need to put their house in order and diffuse internal tensions. Admittedly the Japanese don't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to race relations, but China need to educate their citizenry and bring them into the 20th century. This historical baggage situation is /facepalm
    "race relations" sounds a bit specist. But otherwise yes.

Also, China owns the world already, what else do they want? They should play Civ more.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Given China's rather turbulent history this past century, I'm not sure I'd agree with that last statement Mohorovicic. They do on the other hand seem to have more or less mastered the art of 'if it speaks, shoot it'.