Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

XCOM FPS turned into $30 downloadable 3rd person shooter?

Kotaku was sent some pictures and info from a marketing survey. The author forgot the FPS already had squad commands. 2K won't comment. Not sure why anyone would fake this, so...

I wonder how much 2K spent on this. It started as a game from the Freedom Force team in 2005, spent 5 years as a FPS and now it's pulling an I Am Alive. I was looking forward to the FPS but this doesn't look encouraging.

Banned
    7+ years in development, genre change, based on an old franchise for no reason, consoles with a PC port.

Sounds like a recipe for success!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    By this point, and with a more worthy successor to the XCOM name, I don't think anybody really cares about "that other XCOM." It'd be better if they went back to the drawing board and called it "DEREK SMART'S DESKTOP COMMANDER" to avoid some of the stigma of being an FPS "based" (using the term loosely) on XCOM.

I wish theyd make it more like XCOM 5.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Interesting to see how "that other XCOM game of a practially dead genre" completely stole this one's thunder.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    It didn't look that bad as a game and honestly if they just called it something other than xcom from the beginning it probably wouldn't have had so much negativity surrounding it.

I don't think a shift from 1st to 3rd person would do much to dent my enthusiasm for the concept of this game: schlocky 50s sci-fi b-movie vibe. That I really like.

What turns me off about it is that it all looks a bit crap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Hmm i was interested at first but now it looks pretty much a disaster with lots of rewrites and changes and the other Xcom coming out, they should probably just let it die but considering how much money they must have sunk into the game they priobably can't do that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    7+ years in development, genre change, based on an old franchise for no reason, consoles with a PC port.

Sounds like a recipe for success!
    Your forgetting a scene change too. The original "concept" video was nothing like the game it became. Although the black alien warp thingies were not Xcom, they did look original.

Network Hub
    This made my day.

Activated Node
    Can someone explain to me how we can have two different games both sporting the X-Com brand? I mean usually one company owns or leases the IP right? Is it something like "X-Com Enemy Unkown" is a seperate trademark to just "X-Com?" Kind of like the old Fallout MMORPG brooha

That looks.... I don't know. Crappy? Should they just stop embarassing themselves with it and cancel it already? Although, I think I'm seeing an early beta of it, here. Still won't stop the fans from panning it
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EBass View Post
    Can someone explain to me how we can have two different games both sporting the X-Com brand? I mean usually one company owns or leases the IP right? Is it something like "X-Com Enemy Unkown" is a seperate trademark to just "X-Com?" Kind of like the old Fallout MMORPG brooha
    It really never occurred to you that the company who owns the license is publishing both games?

Activated Node
    I've always been something of a heretic on this, and thought this game sounded pretty good when it was first announced. Not that I'm not much happier with the turn based one announced, but this game - as I initially imagined it anyway - sounded pretty interesting.

There's something about XCOM which could have made a unique FPS (or TPS, whatever). The way missions are generated, and the way your goals are not always to just keep shooting until everything is dead, especially early on.

I've been replaying the original, and I recently had an Etheral terror mission before I had Psi, and all I wanted was to capture an Etheral so I could research Psi.

I landed, jumped out the back, stunned an Etheral with a small launcher, lost several guys to other guys who had been mind controlled, killed my guys who had been mind controlled. Then set up a temporary perimeter, and sent three guys off to grab the unconsious Etheral. One of them made it back and we all piled back in and got the hell out of dodge.

Total losses: 7 guys and a tank, but that one went down as an almost total success.

I'd actually be really interested in a squad-based FPS which had the XCOM strategy layer, and threw me into situations which were blatantly impossible to win in the conventional shooter sense, and you just had to try and scrape enough of an advantage to make next time just that bit easier...

No problem with it being called XCOM either.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Interesting to see how "that other XCOM game of a practially dead genre" completely stole this one's thunder.
    Yeah, I've been very pleased to note that too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Don't worry. It won't take long until they blame shitty sales figures on rampant piracy. Because this is why we cannot have nice things! (Including a decent Xcom FPS, you evil pirates you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    It really never occurred to you that the company who owns the license is publishing both games?
    I assume they heard the shit people were piling on them for turning a much-loved series into a crappy FPS and some bright spark in marketing said "Hey guys, you know we just might be able to sell a remake of the original game, it seems that some people are upset we're plundering their nostalgia to fill our wallets."

Why don't they just slap a different coat of paint on this, change the story up somewhat, turn "aliens" into "ghosts" and call this Ghost Recon Busters. Wait. Well, my point is, they could turn this into a pretty cool Ghostbusters game and they wouldn't have to have the spectre of all the other X-COM spin-offs hanging over them.