Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Best scary, horror, or otherwise Halloween-themed games!

Okay, so this in inspired by TomxJ's post in another thread. I think it would be cool to have a thread listing the best options available for scary, horror, or just simply Halloween-based games, now that we are into October. I for one am a fan of the genre, but have probably missed out on many titles over the years.

This can include both full games and mods, but if you list a lesser-known mod, please specify the game for which it is a mod.

I'll start it out:

Games:
    Resident Evil (series)
    Dead Space (series)
    7th Guest
    11th Hour
    Phantasmagoria
    Amnesia The Dark Descent
    Penumbra (series)
    Lone Survivor
    Home
    Slender
    Anna
    Doom (series)
    Killing Floor
    Dear Esther
    The Walking Dead

Mods:
    Cry of Fear (Half Life mod)
    Last edited by kstress71; 01-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 (I'm not sure about 4) had PC versions. ObsCure was decent game with co-op features. White Day is pretty good, though it's Korean and prone to crashing/bugging out badly as well as having a few obscure puzzles and partially annoying design, but if you liked Amnesia you should be able to enjoy White Day as well. For point and clicks, Darkness Within 1 is really, really good, one of the best Lovecraft-themed horror games I've played. The second is not bad, but I didn't find it quite as good. Condemned: Criminal Origins is also very very good, and Call of Cthulhu: DCotE is great (though after acquiring the gun it goes downhill).

As for mods, Grey was okay, and Underhell: Prologue, what little I played it, seemed nice. Afraid of Monsters is brilliant. I'd also recommend Nightmare House 2. All of these are Half-Life 2 mods IIRC.

Also, your lack of Ao Oni and Ib disappoints me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Costume Quest, though not scary horror, is THE Halloween game to play!

Corril Slayer is currently number one on my Halloween list

Network Hub
    The Alone in the dark series and it doesn't get much creepier than Ecstatica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR87brmvgfw

Banned
    Thief: TDP was the only game that scared me enough to turn it off though in my defense I launched it again immediately

I'm replaying Alan Wake right now. Which isn't very scary, but still a good game.

The Ocean House Hotel level in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
    Guild Wars 2: Infiltrator Dan / Cutthroat Dan / Vile Dan / Fervent Dan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    White Day is pretty good, though it's Korean and prone to crashing/bugging out badly as well as having a few obscure puzzles and partially annoying design, but if you liked Amnesia you should be able to enjoy White Day as well.
    Anyway to get my hands on this? I've looked around a bit but couldn't find it anywhere. Or am I going to have to resort to illegal means?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Undying is still the scariest game ever for me. Its atmosphere is perfect for an autumn playthrough...

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    I'm replaying Alan Wake right now. Which isn't very scary, but still a good game.
    Alan Wake is scary and silly, so it's good for Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Anyway to get my hands on this? I've looked around a bit but couldn't find it anywhere. Or am I going to have to resort to illegal means?
    It is a royal pain trying to find it. Amazon has it listed, but "not available". I myself had to use the less-than-legal route of obtaining it, which is a shame.

Activated Node
    I love scary movies but I'm a complete baby when it comes to games. I'm really not sure why. I've put down multiple games that I really enjoyed simply because the scary stuff stressed me out too much.

I was doing my first ever playthrough of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and stopped at the creepy haunted house level. Haven't touched it in over a month.

FEAR, FEAR 2 and their expansions (FEAR 3, by different developers, is mediocre at best)
    Cryostasis
    Condemned: Criminal Origins

And STALKER definitely has its moments.
    Last edited by GunnerMcCaffrey; 01-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Network Hub
    Okay, now I'm embarrassed. The replies in this thread remind me of some amazing experiences I should have immediately remembered...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The Binding of Isaac. Game is messed up, but it's also adorable.

If you can look past the dated engine: They Hunger series for Half Life 1: (Instructions for steam are in the comments) http://www.moddb.com/downloads/they-hunger-1-2-and-3
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pathologic.

Not scary, per say, but spooky, horror-themed adventure games:

The Lost Crown
    Dark Fall 1-3
    Scratches
    Barrow Hill

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Not PC, but I suppose you could resort to emulation? Amnesia is for me, without a doubt, the greatest horror game I've played on the PC, but by far, the scariest game I've ever played, no contest whatsoever, was Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (known as Project Zero 2 on Europe) on the PlayStation 2.
    Noone understands psychological horror like the Japanese. Except Capcom.

fucking Yume Nikki if you want you want to creep yourself out with mindscrews. but some people found it a pleasant experience, somehow
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

There was a PC version of Nightmare Creatures, a really spooky beat-'em-up I played on Playstation a million years ago.

I have a soft spot for Prey, which was an okay shooter but a fantastic haunted house.