Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why did I forget to mention this one? Not exactly scary but hey, it's Halloween-themed at least!
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    No mention of Clive Barker's Undying yet? For shame.

Then again, I was in junior high when I played it so maybe I was more easily scared then. I just remember the Howlers being fucking terrifying when I first ran into them because you could hear their howls from forever away and then they would just come out of nowhere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    fucking Yume Nikki if you want you want to creep yourself out with mindscrews. but some people found it a pleasant experience, somehow
    That's probably because randomness is not scary.

yeah, the fucked-up batshit insane kind
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

It's not exactly Halloween-themed, but Zafehouse: Diaries can be as scary as hell if played in a dark room with the sound up.

We put a lot of work into the game to amp up the ambience. What compares to the sound of undead bashing down your door with nothing but flickering candlelight and dysfunctional compatriots to keep you company?

Actually, here's a story from a Z:D player from over on the Dwarf Fortress forums:

We had a few weapons in hand, so we decided to move to the hotel rather permanently. Off we went, having no big trouble getting in. As we looked around, we had to make good use of our weapons, clearing out almost a dozen zombies using a switchblade, baseball bat and brass knuckles.

The bad thing about a hotel is the amount of windows and entrances. It was still early in the morning, so we decided to barricade them as quickly as possible. While one or two of us were clearing out corpses and looking for useful stuff, the rest was barricading. Snide remarks and annoyed comments increased tensions quite a bit, until we realised barricading needed to be done with so we would stop the passive-aggressiveness. Everybody helped, and in a couple of hours we had barricaded the 20 entrances to the building.

It was getting somewhat late, so we sent Manuel to check out a nearby store. It turned out to be deserted. Once he came back, it became clear there were very important supplies there. Kelly and Abigail went to grab some, and came back with enough ingredients for two nice meals and news that there was even more stuff.

It was getting very late though, so between patching up Manuel, who had hurt himself in the initial hotel fight, and clearing out the rest of the bodies, we whiled the night away. Watching out for zombies together relieved tensions quite a bit. Finally, we seemed to have a tiny sliver of control over the situation.

As soon as the sun rose, we left Abigail at the hotel and everyone else rushed the store in an attempt to bring everything there back. There were guns, medical supplies and food. All the important stuff. Just as we were getting ready to leave, this limping guy comes along with a tale of a humongous zombie or something. We'd taken out enough of them to think we could take care of any one zombie, especially with all the weaponry in the store.

We were wrong.

Abigail watched horrified from a hotel window across the street as the zombie entered the unbarricaded store with ease, then tore the limping man apart, then Manuel... then everyone else. Audrey beat the zombie's foot into a bloody pulp as she was being ripped to shreds herself. The zombie finally went limp, exhausted and battered, among the remains of his victims.

After catching her breath and wiping her tears, Abigail rushed to the store for the supplies. Maybe she, alone, could still make it out alive. The store looked easier to enter from a distance. She spent quite some time trying to unjam the doors and make it in. Once she got in, there was a deadly silence. She stole a quick glance outside and noticed there was a mob forming. That was not good news at all.

One of them spotted her. It rushed the store, but Abigail grabbed a handgun from the store's supplies and blasted his head away. Four more notice her and follow the first's footsteps, only to suffer the same fate.

It was about noon, and high time she got back to the barricaded hotel. She grabbed a motion sensor, a rifle and the switchblade, from the hands of her dead comrades, and started off. After a sprint to the hotel, in between tears she sobbed her way into the evening sniping at zombies shambling across the street.

It was no consolation.

Just as she was about to let misery cradle her to sleep, she notices a zombie. This one's different... taller, leaner than the ones she'd seen. Including the one from the store. Too late, she realises it's coming straight for the hotel. It's like he knew... he breaks right through wooden planks from the front door and goes straight for her, screaming. She barely has time to throw off a few shots, at first with the rifle, then with a pistol before he reaches her. He doesn't even notice the pistol butt smashing against his face as he tears her apart...

Damn.
    This is based entirely on events that transpired in the game.

What about the Clock Tower games? Never played any of them (mostly because they are all console games, emulators should be able to fix this though), but I hear the first one is better than some of the later titles.
    Forum janitor in training.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    The System Shock games are the first things that come to my mind when I think of horror games on the PC. There's also three excellent point-and-click adventure titles: Dark Seed, Sanitarium and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Realms Of the Haunting is really good and readily available for about six bucks on GOG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Anchorhead (1998)

It's an interactive fiction (100% text) game of Lovecraftian horror. And it's free. I finished it today (i resorted to a walkthrough in a few places) and I like it very much. It's not perfect, but very, very good. Especially the writing and atmosphere.

You need the game file (anchor.z8) from here:
    http://www.wurb.com/if/game/17

And an interpreter. There are several suitable applications, but I recommend Gargoyle:
    http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/

(if you have Ubuntu/Debian Linux, you can just do sudo apt-get install gargoyle-free)
    Then run the interpreter and load the file anchor.z8
    pass

Talking about lovecraft. The first half of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is brilliant. One of the best adaptations of Lovecraft's work.

Obscure Node
    I know it's technically Day of the Dead themed, but GRIM FANDANGO is totally a game to play for Halloween

Also probably too dated to have much of an impact now, but System Shock 2 was the creepiest thing ever in its day...particularly the Engineering and Hydroponics decks.

oh god, the psychics monkeys!

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Well, it's an Xbox game (the original, not 360), but Grabbed by the Ghoulies was very Halloween. It's a beat-em-up by Rare that used the right analog stick for attacks. There were challenges in each room, and it was amazing how varied they felt although the play mechanics were relatively simple. Game had a good sense of humor and was a lot of fun. Underrated, I think because the theme wasn't appealing to most hardcore gamers.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    What about the Clock Tower games? Never played any of them (mostly because they are all console games, emulators should be able to fix this though), but I hear the first one is better than some of the later titles.
    These are exceptional horror games, the closest you can get to playing a Halloween-style slasher film. The first two (this can be confusing, as I mean the first two games, Clock Tower for the SNES and Clock Tower on the PSX, not the numerical sequel Clock Tower 2: Spirit Within which is a complete fucking disaster of a game) are easily emulatable at this point and give the most straightforward run-and-hide gameplay; the third game, for the PS2, is actually decent, but it gets a bit bogged down with the implementation of more combat options (you still can't outright kill enemies, but you get a bunch of weird magical stuff that slows them down). A similar game to the third, but better, is Haunting Grounds for the PS2. A survival horror game with almost metroidvania like exploration, taking place in a wonderfully detailed Gothic manor. It is also of the run-and-hide variety, with unkillable stalkers chasing you around, and the few combat options you have are mechanically sound; one of which is an integral part of the story and puzzles, a trusty canine that is your partner throughout the game, and who you can sick on enemies to slow them down (and don't worry, his AI is way better than most human companions in video games). I can't recommend it enough, though it may be hard to acquire at this point.

Edit: I meant to quote the post about Clock Tower.
    Last edited by agentorange; 03-10-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Network Hub
    Deathsmiles is the best Halloween-themed game ever made. Needs a 360 though.
    http://youtu.be/gMP7a3nbuKk