Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Shot off my horse: M&B: with fire and sword

It's 2.49 right now, hot or not?

Banned
    It's too buggy.

What you should buy instead, is M&B Warband, which is also 75% off

Obscure Node
    Yes well, I got the whole dang kaboodle to be sure, the very first one too, to be on the safe side. Should I start at numer one? Or just skip that?
    Last edited by Lacessit; 05-07-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Lacessit View Post
    Yes well, I got the whole dang kaboodle to be sure, the very first one too, to be on the safe side. Should I start at numer one? Or just skip that?
    Well Warband is more or less an expansion to Mount and Blade, the only thing really different is the map. So Don't bother play the original Mount and Blade and just go for Warband and Fire & Sword

Activated Node
    I just got it, and am a little lost. Are there any guides for the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I played the bejeebers out of the Warband campaign, and then I got sick of it when I started owning castles and having to grind through hundreds of defenders or beseigers...though now I realize I could have sent my troops to fight without me, but I never thought of that because I am such a noble leader(?). However, when I get a little extra time, I am going to have a good look at the cRPG mod for Warband.

Don't know much about Fire and Sword except that the hats are a lot more impressive. =P

Flying in the face of all advice, I bought Fire and Sword rather than Warband (I like woosh-bang MUSKETS!).

However it would be really nice if it looked a bit less bums. Are there any mods for Fire and Sword similar to the Floris Expanded Mod Pack for Warband which just focus on graphical enhancements and/or sensible gameplay improvements without adding a billion fiddly gameplay nobsticks that my M&B-newbie brain won't understand?
    Last edited by Mechanicus_; 06-07-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison Dance View Post
    I just got it, and am a little lost. Are there any guides for the game?
    youtube
    lets play warband/fire and sword

i found this method to be the best in learning how to start playing complicated games.

and anyone knows how much cd projekt contributed to the development of this game?

Am I imagining things, or did I read that actually, WFaS is actually using a less-advanced engine/client compared to Warband?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarplasma View Post
    Am I imagining things, or did I read that actually, WFaS is actually using a less-advanced engine/client compared to Warband?

I believe so. From what I've heard WFaS started life as a mod for original Mount and Blade, so I guess it would make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    and anyone knows how much cd projekt contributed to the development of this game?
    Erm, none at all? I'm confused, why would they have contributed to MnB? :/

What the hell, this game works. Its getting patched all the time, and it is hella fun. GET IT. ITS A STEAL. Of course warband is fantastic as a whole, but it is a different beast to the others. And in my opinion, different enough that it deserves its own playthrough. I know people disagree, I dont give a fuck. Its only two fifty!

Get Warband and Fire & Sword. Both great, but different. And the bugs are not as big anymore, so both are pretty much playable. And prodding persons of a horse never gets old, as does shooting them. Both games are some of the most downright fun games I've played in the the last years!
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Mods for With Fire & Sword won't be anything significant until some tools are released. Later patches will also add Warband features that are missing, like making your own Kingdom and getting married (which is quite handy, unlike RL).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Fire & Sword is good fun, if you don't mind occasionally being killed out of nowhere by a musket shot. I'm not sure it feels like as complete a game as Warband, but the game is different enough to be interesting for fans of the series and similar enough to share the same appeal.

It is not difficult to avoid getting shot. Just ride your horse fast and without going straight to them or stand near your troops without staying too still. I like placing myself on my halberd line and I almost never get shot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    It doesn't happen frequently, but you still have the potential for a bullet to kill you instantly even on 1/4 damage, especially at the start when you can't afford good armour. It's different from the previous games where arrows can be easily blocked with shields and generally don't hurt that much anyway, on easy difficulty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I've been having a blast with Warband this week. At least I was before I bit off a bit more than I could chew. Those farmhands don't really stack up very well in a real battle.

You can also block bullets with shields. They don't stop them as good as arrows, but it can keep you on the battle considerably longer.

Dual wield a shield and a double barreled pistol and you will kill and live an entire battle or siege without trouble.

I found strafing to work better. also charge a bit later than the rest of your forces. :D

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I found strafing to work better. also charge a bit later than the rest of your forces. :D
    Heh, also my "tactic". Also works is taking potshots and riding around while reloading, just like mr. Quinns was doing in his cpt. Smith diary. The only thing I haven't tried are the grenades. Should be fun as well!
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more