Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar

Minecraft in Spaaaaace

http://www.star-made.org/

I noticed this game on Greenlight last night. It is a Minecraft clone, essentially. But instead of generating a world, it generates a sort of galaxy with flat "planets" floating around. You create a ship and fly around shooting the space baddies. It's online multiplayer. You can land on the flat planets and then it is obviously a minecraft clone... you mine resources to build on to your ship.

Ships are shaped the way you would build anything in Minecraft, but there are certain blocks that must be used for ship functions... for example your guns must be connected to a weapons computer and a power generator.

I only played for about 30 minutes, but it is enough for me to say, "this is neat." Not sure if it's much fun after the initial impressions, but we'll see.

It's free. Online MP, no F2P gimmicks. It's alpha or beta or whatever they call it these days. I'm guessing it's only free while it's in that state.

This is the only game I've ever played where you can be flying around space, see a planet, fly towards it, and eventually land on it without loading screens. That doesn't make it fun, but it's something I've always wanted to be able to do in space flight games, and this is the main reason I'm impressed with Star-Made.

edit- they're selling "pre-orders" for $3.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 03-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Need more turtles.

This is more a Minecraft Discworld generator.

I like the part where you land in a planet (2:27), and you look at other disc in space, and are other "worlds". Everything else don't imprese me all that much, because looks like a 3D model viewer (sepcially the first two minutes of space). I really hate the "dirst in space" effect, its overdone as hell.

This in multiplayer, and less alpha-ish, would be fun to have in Minecraft. I imagine different communities growing in different planets, maybe some commerce.

The dirst might be overdone, but this game has something like a Newtonian flight model so you sort of need reference for direction and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Need more turtles.
    Which gender of turtles?