Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What do you value the most in videogames?

Different people have different preferences. I guess if I were to ask "what makes a videogame good?" I would get a lot of different answers that could be summed up into "a lot of stuff". But that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is, if you had to choose one key element of videogames that makes you enjoy playing them, what would it be? Would it be the graphics? How mentally/technically challenging it is? The interactivity between you and the digital world? Having an online experience? A good story? How "fun" it is? It's capacity to let you forget about the real world? How rewarding it is? ...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    The interactivity between you and the digital world?
    This. I want everything to react to my input. From accurate physics to flushing toilets to appropriate AI feedback. Static game worlds suck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Fun.

/10char.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Fun.

/10char.
    This is the gist of it.

I could probably write several pages about what I value in each particular genre/sub-genre, but it all really boils down to whether or not the game is fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Variety, too many games try to be "leading game x" in everything they do. I'm just glad when a game has its own identity, whether its good or not almost seems irrelevant if its a clone.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Stand-ins for my absentee father.

And fun.

Fun, and of course:

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    flushing toilets

Fahn!

/10char
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Capacity for deep concentration and flow.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Banned
    Math. And by math I mean me winning. The higher the math requirements the more I win. But it just sounds better to say math, because then it makes it seem like I value challenging and intellectual games, but really I just want to win.

And it has to be in game math. It can't be something that can be solved and posted online so any idiot can do it. Alternatively any game that requires spending a lot of time. I win those, too.

Nothing requiring intense user input, I only have a touchpad.

Fun, or failing that, to be interesting enough to make up for the lack of fun.

Network Hub
    Atmosphere.

A world that drags me into its story and terrain as if it were my current surroundings. I don't need to follow a specific lore to know what I am dealing with in the story, which is why I was so incredibly fascinated by WoW. I haven't found a game similar to the feeling of experiencing Azeroth for the first time, mostly due to the atmosphere being so magnificent. With that being said, I wouldn't get the same feeling playing Vanilla again, but through each expansion up to MoP, I had a great feeling entering the atmosphere of WoW. It had to come to an end eventually though.

Hopefully Titan can spark that feeling up once again! Three years to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Fun.
    Is Dark Souls "fun"? ;)
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Banned
    1. Tits
    2. Swords

I value a game when the developer knows what the game is about and focus on that.
    Let's say you make a game about an assassin, focus on that and don't add stuff like wagon chases and naval battles, even if it's a good excuse to add cool explosions, that show how magnificent your home-made engine is.

I also value a game where I don't have to waste precious time on repeating stuff I already did a dozen times, just because the designer forgot to add a checkpoint or he/she thought that fast travel is immersion breaking or something silly like that...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    he/she thought that fast travel is immersion breaking or something silly like that...
    Depending on how it's done, for most people it can be. Morrowind got it right, fast travel was only available through in game services such as mage portals, spells and taxi services (boats, striders). Oblivion got it wrong, fast travel to anywhere you have previously found with no services (iirc) Skyrim got it kind of right by reintroducing taxi services.

Fun is the most valuable thing in games. If I'm not enjoying the game, it's of little value to me!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    1. Tits
    2. Swords
    To the Breastiary!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Learning opportunities and feeling of victory.

I believe that very first purpose of playing game is to learn in minimum to no pain, video game is no exception. One way to view it, playing video games almost certainly bears no risk. Either you learn something new, or you brush up skills you already learnt.

And I take frequent refuge in video games from my failures in the real world. Pathetic, huh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Story.

Specifically, a story delivered in a way that couldn't be delivered in any other medium.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Silly people saying "fun" like that means anything. Fun is not a useful metric because it's entirely subjective, unquantifiable, and poorly defined. It's the equivalent of proclaiming "I like it if I like it."

I like immersive, interactive, simulated game worlds.