Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Lasers, really.

Maybe colours too.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Banned
    You must have had a field day with Geometry Wars.

Network Hub
    adventures and challenge - if both are present, there is no reason for you not to enjoy the gameplay. It is very overwhelming once you overcome a challenge. And of course, adventure is always present in one’s quest.

Activated Node
    This ^^^

Plus ultimately, self expression, and I love games that do that, Far Cry, Dishonoured, Total War, Oblivion.

Generally sandbox games, or games that have a high degree of randomness and unpredictability.

Network Hub
    A good story coupled with decent visuals are my minimum requirements for good games. I not that fond of multiplayer games to a good plot is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    You must have had a field day with Geometry Wars.
    I near wet myself.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I near wet myself.
    That's the second best response I could hope for. Epileptic fans of the game could tell you the first.

Upgradable tattoo's.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Also-butts, asses, bums

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    That's the second best response I could hope for. Epileptic fans of the game could tell you the first.
    "No, I literally wet myself."

Activated Node
    I guess it depends what I feel like playing. If i'm on my phone, I want something simple, puzzler's are my go to, can keep my brain occupied, simple mechanics that aren't time sensitive, so if I'm distracted I don't die kind of thing, just plain, short, challenge.

When I get home though, If i'm playing online, I want solid mechanics & excellent controls before anything else. I dislike league of legends immensely because it's pathfinding is often nonsensical, especially compared to dota2. But Dota2, SC2, CS:GO, and even the cod's, all nail that good mechanical 'feel'.

Solo gaming on the other hand, it depends what i'm in the mood for really. If i'm in the mood for awesome mechanics and challenge, I play something like super meat boy, ninja gaiden, devil may cry, hotline miami even if you go for combo runs, the key is hyper difficulty, controls that work, the ability to dodge roll mid being attacked animation (if that's not there it can GTFO!), and a reasonable fail state. Meat boy has the right idea, 15second level, try many times. It's hard but never frustrating. I don't really care about story or characters, I mean if it has one and it's good, bonus, but no loss if it's not there. I'm playing the game for the games sake, not for 'the experience', but for the pure mechanical bliss of jumping around and smashing through hordes of people. Take away the challenge & the mechanics, like the latest ninja gaiden, and you ruin the whole thing.

If I just want to relax and explore, one game I always seem to come back to is prince of persia (the 2008 one), awesome art style, great sense of what the world 'is', the story is ok, it's not challenging if you just want to relax, but if you want challenge (ala the die less than 75 times in one playthrough achievement), you can make it challenging.

But if i'm just relaxing, on the couch, feet up, controller in hand, I want that immersion factor, something bethesda games deliver this in spades, I have many good memories of staying up late, way late, playing fallout 3 until the sun came up, thinking i'd been playing for an hour when I'd actually played for 6. Total immersion is something they know how to nail, and sure, on release they usually make a buggy mess, and mechanically their games are nothing special, but nothing else comes close to making you feel like you are in the game. But give me immersion, a good sense of style (visual & audio), and a story if it needs it, and i'm in heaven. Mechanics are nice here, but not important, the gameplay loop of challenge / reward isn't anywhere as important as I'm playing to adventure, to see new sights and sounds, to be dazzled while I lie on the couch covered in cheese dust. Journey is another game, well, experience is probably a better word, no real 'story' or characters, but it's such a joyous experience, not to mention excellent use of seamless co-op.

So really, I guess it depends. I don't think we'll ever really get games that are both perfect in the pure mechanical sense & also in the story and I suppose 'experience' sense. Portal came close, but it's a game of cerebral rather than mechanical challenge, I get the sense that I 'solved' it as opposed to I 'beat' it. They're both nice, but they're different. I think the problem is if the game is really going to push me mechanically, it has to have a fail state, otherwise I can never get that satisfaction from mopping the floor with it. Conversely, that fail state, no matter how minor, will always ruin immersion, and remind me that as much as the NPC's in fallout like to remind me that I'm just a humble vault dweller, I have access to a time machine & therefore am immortal. The bonus for bethesda games is they're usually so damn easy you don't see it very often. Games that nail the experience sense for me, don't really have a fail state, Prince of Persia you always get 'saved' (which comes full circle at the end really nicely I might add), same with journey, no fail state.

Obscure Node
    For me it's the ability to make an impact on the world, either through interaction with systems or otherwise. For me the point of videogames is that they're an interactive experience